Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Original poster
Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
The thread below says it all - I and many others are tired of visiting threads that talk about Windows-only games, when most Mac users do NOT use or feel like using Windows.

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16059734&posted=1#post16059734

Whether you create a NEW section or at least a MANDATORY title field to indicate whether a thread is "Windows-native", "Mac-native" or "Windows/Mac-native", please do the RIGHT thing on MR and fix this nonsense.

Thank you.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
We add sub-forums when there's a real need, but we try to avoid it because the forums are already fairly bloated.

So I wonder - would required prefixes solve the problem as you see it? If members were required to choose (for example) one of these for each thread they start, would that help?

[OS X]
[Windows (native)]
[Windows on Mac]
[Linux]
[Any OS]

It's possible to search within a forum for all threads that have a particular prefix.

Original poster
Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
We add sub-forums when there's a real need, but we try to avoid it because the forums are already fairly bloated.

So I wonder - would required prefixes solve the problem as you see it? If members were required to choose (for example) one of these for each thread they start, would that help?

[OS X]
[Windows (native)]
[Windows on Mac]
[Linux]
[Any OS]

It's possible to search within a forum for all threads that have a particular prefix.

I appreciate your reply, annk. It would still be preferable to have a separate sub-forum, but if this is too difficult the prefixes would already help a lot - just make sure that people really use them (via new sticky instructions or the like).

Thanks again..!

P.s.: Windows native and Windows on Mac seem redundant for MR - after all, if one is talking about a Windows game in a Mac forum, it's because it will run on Mac with Windows. So just Windows on Mac would suffice.

Or do you mean native as in Boot Camp?

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
I appreciate your reply, annk. It would still be preferable to have a separate sub-forum, but if this is too difficult the prefixes would already help a lot - just make sure that people really use them (via new sticky instructions or the like).

Thanks again..!

P.s.: Windows native and Windows on Mac seem redundant for MR - after all, if one is talking about a Windows game in a Mac forum, it's because it will run on Mac with Windows. So just Windows on Mac would suffice.

Or do you mean native as in Boot Camp?

The prefixes could be required, that is, you couldn't start a thread without choosing one. :cool:

As far as the Windows games, I meant Windows games played on non-Apple machines vs. Windows games running on Mac. But maybe that's not necessary here?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
So I wonder - would required prefixes solve the problem as you see it?
Somewhat related to this and other forums where prefixes are used, is there any way to get those prefixes to appear in Forum Spy? Not everyone browses forums by the forum listing, where prefixes do appear.

Original poster
Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
The prefixes could be required, that is, you couldn't start a thread without choosing one. :cool:

As far as the Windows games, I meant Windows games played on non-Apple machines vs. Windows games running on Mac. But maybe that's not necessary here?

Yes, I don't think this is necessary here. The point is just to clearly separate between native games for Mac, as opposed to games which require Windows (or other OSs) on Macs to be run.

soloer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2004
Omaha

Interesting. I never viewed it that way at all. If I post about a Windows game in that forum, it's because I play it on Windows on my PC, never in bootcamp or a virtual machine.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Interesting. I never viewed it that way at all. If I post about a Windows game in that forum, it's because I play it on Windows on my PC, never in bootcamp or a virtual machine.

Since I'm not a gamer myself, I have to ask to be sure I understand. Are there differences between running a Windows game on a PC, and running it in bootcamp or a virtual machine? I guess what I'm wondering is if there are, are those differences so big (and the threads so numerous) that more than a [Windows] prefix is needed?

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Since I'm not a gamer myself, I have to ask to be sure I understand. Are there differences between running a Windows game on a PC, and running it in bootcamp or a virtual machine? I guess what I'm wondering is if there are, are those differences so big (and the threads so numerous) that more than a [Windows] prefix is needed?

No. All that's really needed is Windows or Native. Whether you play in Windows on a Mac using bootcamp or on a Windows PC makes absolutely no difference. Maybe even Linux, but last time I checked there were about 4 games for Linux. (ok, ok, there are more games for Linux.... probably 12 :p )

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
No. All that's really needed is Windows or Native. Whether you play in Windows on a Mac using bootcamp or on a Windows PC makes absolutely no difference. Maybe even Linux, but last time I checked there were about 4 games for Linux. (ok, ok, there are more games for Linux.... probably 12 :p )

This is all very helpful, thanks. So we're looking at something like:

[OS X]
[Windows]
[Linux]
[Any OS]

The Any OS category is there in case a question is about a game in general and not connected to a problem or issue on a specific platform. I figured since these prefixes will be required (= you can't start a thread in that sub-forum without choosing one), we'd need that category as well.

Look ok?

Renzatic

Suspended

Whether you're running a Windows only game in a virtual machine, bootcamp, or completely native, the main point is you're running it through Windows. Like you're always going to be running your copy of Office for Windows inside of Windows, regardless of if you're accessing it from inside of OSX or out. Anything else beyond that is ultimately nothing more than a small distinction to that one main fact.

So with that in mind, I'd say Win, Mac, or Win/Mac for multiplatform games should be more than enough.

...plus, I don't think anyone in their right mind is gonna be running a newer game inside a VM, so that should make your decision a little easier. :p

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
This is all very helpful, thanks. So we're looking at something like:

[OS X]
[Windows]
[Linux]
[Any OS]

The Any OS category is there in case a question is about a game in general and not connected to a problem or issue on a specific platform. I figured since these prefixes will be required (= you can't start a thread in that sub-forum without choosing one), we'd need that category as well.

Look ok?
Yup. That looks perfect. But "Any OS" might be slightly confusing. Maybe we can brain storm a better category name.
OS Agnostic?
All?

Nah, those don't sound good to me either. I guess Any OS will do.

Original poster
Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Yup. That looks perfect. But "Any OS" might be slightly confusing. Maybe we can brain storm a better category name.
OS Agnostic?
All?

Nah, those don't sound good to me either. I guess Any OS will do.

Perhaps "OS-Neutral" or "Multiplatform"? I am thinking of Java games or others that can run natively on any platform...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.