Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G8AMB

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Lincolnshire, UK
Just wanted to do a quick poll on people's thoughts.

I have a three year old Mac mini and a four year old MacBook (the rare aluminium one that was only on sale for a few months).

I use an iPhone and so i'm familiar with the simplicity of apps.

So I was thinking of updating the laptop, but am now wondering if an iPad might be a better investment.

The laptop is working fine but obviously outside of AppleCare now.

The laptop mainly gets used for:-
Basic photo editing (cropping)
Basic word processing (letters)
Basic video editing and burning to DVD
Guitar practice (via garage band)
Video/catchup TV
Email
Browsing

With the exception of the DVD burning which I can always do on the old Mac mini or MacBook I think I should be ok with an iPad as a primary device.

But I was wondering if anyone had made this switch and loved it or regretted it?

Lindsford

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012

I have a three year old Mac mini and a four year old MacBook (the rare aluminium one that was only on sale for a few months).

So I was thinking of updating the laptop, but am now wondering if an iPad might be a better investment.

Video/catchup TV
Email
Browsing

With the exception of the DVD burning which I can always do on the old Mac mini or MacBook I think I should be ok with an iPad as a primary device.

But I was wondering if anyone had made this switch and loved it or regretted it?

Ipad is an amazing device for traveling. Extremely slim/light. Don't have to take it out of your bags when going through Airport security (huge plus for me) and amazing battery life. I've been without a laptop since last year and have managed fine. I don't do any video/photo editing on the go. Have my desktop for that

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
By ur description an iPad would be just fine for you.

A couple of months ago I came to the same fork road, I went for a new laptop.

(1) My old laptop is barely usable, too old. I do have a desktop but that's really a file server and not suitable for everyday desktop use.

(2) I can't picture myself using an iPad for a long period of time, because I type, even on my lap, and I type with two hands. I can't see myself type with 1 hand for an extended period of time because my other hand would be holding the iPad. An iPad with external keyboard doesn't work on laps.

Eventually I may get an iPad but at this point in time, the choice for me was an updated laptop for the cited reasons and usage.

qbricc

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2007
Good but not the same as

Many more people are posting threads like this, it shows that the iPad is coming of age when it shifts sales away from PCs. The iPad is a great computer for modern life and has many pro's over a laptop.

If you try and use the iPad in the same way as a laptop ie keyboard centred data input then prepare to be disappointed. If you imbrace the touch screen and lack of file system and change how you do certain tasks then it is a great choice.

I would avoid jail breaking and research apps carefully to aid your personal usage.

Also wait till after the 23rd incase the iPad gets an upgrade.

Good luck and have fun.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
If Apple would just give the iPad a little more "freedom", it could be so much more.

In the mean time I still need a laptop and two desktops (office and home).

I am hoping that after MicroSoft introduces WIN8 tablets they will get Office for the iPad out soon after! Still need the ability to store files on my iPad, this is my biggest gripe! Looking forward to the Surface PRO!

reputationZed

macrumors 65816
I tried this a while ago. It was doable, but frustrating in some situations. My check list would be
1) do you need to frequently switch between apps? For example writing a paper in a text editor, while citing sources from multiple PDF's or websites

2) is the task you are performing better done with a mouse and cursor than with a touch interface.

If the answer to either is yes then I'd recommend sticking with a laptop

docal97

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
Southampton
I think that the ipad is an amazing device, and for many users, can serve as their primary computer. I agree, the built in keyboard on the ipad is a limitation for those that need to do extensive typing. I have gotten around this by using a zagg folio 2 keyboard/case, which is amazing. It gives you a full keyboard and case which is lightweight. You can then use the ipad to its full potential.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
I am hoping that after MicroSoft introduces WIN8 tablets they will get Office for the iPad out soon after!
I know this iOS version of Office is a strong rumor but I'll believe it when I see it.

If MS were strictly a software company, I'd say go for it because if they can't sell iOS People the Windows OS then at least they can sell them iOS Office. However... now that MS has gotten into the tablet biz I don't understand why they'd provide a flagship software product for a competitors device.

If iOS Office does happen the only reason I can figure out is MS and Apple worked out some patent agreements which required iOS to be developed. (Which we may never know).

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
From experience, the ipad can be both better yet worse at certain tasks.

For example, I tend to check my email on my phone more than on my ipad, even when both are within range. My iphone is just handier to whip out in a pinch, unless I happen to be on my ipad when an email gets pushed/fetched.

I have successfully used iworks to craft simple yet effective documents, which then get printed out via printopia (on my imac) or emailed to colleagues in pdf format. The touch interface lends itself better to poster-like design where you have to position and drag images around. Likewise for keynote presentations. Numbers as a glorified checklist for tracking my students' homework submissions (I am a school teacher).

Browsing is a mixed bag. I prefer surfing on my ipad, but typing lengthy forum replies can be a pain without a conventional keyboard (unless you invest in a bluetooth keyboard for such purposes).

No experience with photo-editing or garageband.

Basically, my imac is used for the heavy-lifting and prep work, and my ipad delivers the goods. :)

reputationZed

macrumors 65816
I know this iOS version of Office is a strong rumor but I'll believe it when I see it.

If MS were strictly a software company, I'd say go for it because if they can't sell iOS People the Windows OS then at least they can sell them iOS Office. However... now that MS has gotten into the tablet biz I don't understand why they'd provide a flagship software product for a competitors device.

If iOS Office does happen the only reason I can figure out is MS and Apple worked out some patent agreements which required iOS to be developed. (Which we may never know).
I'm a bit hesitant on Office for the iPad. My fear is that rather than design separate apps with similar features for the desktop and mobile as Apple does with iWorks MS will try to shoehorn a single app into both rolls.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008

Video/catchup TV
Email
Browsing

Honestly, you should get a MacBook Air. Light & portable yet you can be very productive as you would be on a regular laptop. I love my MBA. I do have an iPad 1 and I hardly use it except to use as a 2nd screen, tweeting, watching movies on a plane, etc. I like being able to multitask on the MBA. Excellent device. Battery life isn't nearly as long but it's a good trade off for my needs.

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
Honestly, you should get a MacBook Air. Light & portable yet you can be very productive as you would be on a regular laptop. I love my MBA. I do have an iPad 1 and I hardly use it except to use as a 2nd screen, tweeting, watching movies on a plane, etc. I like being able to multitask on the MBA. Excellent device. Battery life isn't nearly as long but it's a good trade off for my needs.

I second this. I've tried to shoehorn the iPad into all of my work activities, but it's just more effort than it's worth. There's no question that touch based devices are here to stay, but some things just are much better served with a mouse and keyboard.

G8AMB

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Lincolnshire, UK
I have started to think that a new flash drive based MacBook is the best way forward, trouble is I look at the Air and then think 13" retina then I see I can get a 15" retina with graphics card and quad processor for £100 more. Then I think 512GB ssd then I look at the total price and think I can't lay down well over £2000 on a laptop

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
I have started to think that a new flash drive based MacBook is the best way forward, trouble is I look at the Air and then think 13" retina then I see I can get a 15" retina with graphics card and quad processor for £100 more. Then I think 512GB ssd then I look at the total price and think I can't lay down well over £2000 on a laptop

So then just stop thinking after you look at the Air. ;)

Tried using an iPad for more than it was initially intended and it doesn't work. For my purposes, I still need an able laptop or desktop. The problem is really the software and not any limitation in the tablet form factor.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I use the iPad as a laptop replacement. I have a normal sized ipad that I leave at home and a mini I take on the go. Combined it was cheaper than buying just an air. I use a stand and wirless keyboard if I need to do any hardcore typing. Since I am done with college a regular laptop is not needed. I can accomplish anything with this combo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.