Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:53 PM   #1
bloomage
macrumors newbie

Netrestore Not Working (client sees image)

Hi All,
I've got a server i'm setting up to do one thing and I can't get it to work!
Here are the details:
I have a new mac mini with 10.8 server
I am trying to make this a net restore server. (we get new macs, and have a custom image that i want to install on them)
I have created an image using a spare volume on an external hard drive.
I used the server app to "Create Netrestore image from volume"
I have placed the image in the correct folder as all of the client computers can see the image in the startup disk preference pane
But when they reboot, i get the flashing globe and then it boots to the internal OS
I have the client directly connected over ethernet to the server's ethernet port (the client is a macbook air so i am using a thunderbolt to ethernet adapter

No firewall on the mini

It has a self assigned IP address, using DHCP

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Mike Bloom
bloomage is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:27 AM   #2
Mattie Num Nums
macrumors 68030

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4178?v...S&locale=en_US

Check that KB out first to make sure your use of Net Restore is correct. My setup is a Netinstall image with a Minimal Base OS as the Netboot image and then of course image from there via Casper but you could use anything to image like CCC or Disk Utility from there.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 04:44 AM   #3
osxman1970
macrumors newbie

I had a similar problem, which was fixed by configuring the mac server and clients to be on the same subnet. all works fine now.
From what I understand, if you want to image across subnets you need to allow BSDP across subnets.
osxman1970 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:02 AM   #4
DJLC
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to DJLC Send a message via MSN to DJLC Send a message via Yahoo to DJLC Send a message via Skype™ to DJLC
Not very experienced with NetRestore, but I've never been able to get it to work with a custom image. DeployStudio is great, though.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Tags
mini, netinstall, netrestore, server