Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is preparing to open its third retail store in Beijing this weekend, with the massive new Wangfujung store representing yet another high-profile entry for the company.

wangfujing_retail_store.jpg
The Next Web was on hand for the media preview today, gaining an early look at the new store and hearing from Apple retail chief John Browett, who also acknowledged that Apple is working to open a new store in Shenzhen, China.
Browett went so far as to say that, in his opinion, the new location is the best store Apple has built in Asia so far. That would presumably take the unofficial title from the IFC Hong Kong store, which was Apple's most expensive store to date when it opened last year. [...]

Apple Store aficionados (hey, I'm sure some of you are out there) should take note that the Wangfujing location has one of Apple's three triple-height glass staircases, the first in Asia. Also a first in Asia, the location has two 360-degree Genius Bars, allowing customers to stand next to their technicians rather than across from them.
M.I.C. gadget shares more photos from the new store, noting that the ground floor is dedicated to product displays while the second floor offers support functions such as the Genius Bars and training tables and the basement houses additional training tables, a kids' table, and the largest range of accessories available at any store.

Article Link: Apple Opening Massive New Beijing Retail Store This Weekend

Rizzm

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2012
The modern design of the Apple store paired with classic Chinese architecture looks gorgeous!

ollyb

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2011
Looks stunning.

I'm still flabbergasted by what Apple's achieved on the high street. If you'd have told me where they'd be now 10 years ago, I would have laughed at you. Very hard indeed.

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
Hm, why does China have so many Apple stores yet we have none here in Taiwan?

Lots of people here own Apple products and there are a million authorized resellers that mimic the Apple store as closely as they can. A real Apple store would get swarmed if it opened here in Taipei.

ahmet

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2012
Seems to be REALLY gorgeous

But I don't understand why Apple continues to open stores in same countries instead of different ones. For instance, in Turkey there is no real Apple store but crappy resellers with terrible customer services. I would like to hear about an Istanbul Apple Store with an awesome architecture like above-mentioned one :apple:

Last edited:

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
Does Apple charge the same pricing in China? How do these people afford Apple products if the average wage is actually below that of a Foxconn worker...

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
Does Apple charge the same pricing in China? How do these people afford Apple products if the average wage is actually below that of a Foxconn worker...

There are a lot of people with money in China, despite the large amounts of poor.

But with a population of 1.35 billion, there are millions of people there now who can afford and own Apple products at the same price (well, Apple products are about the same price here in Taiwan as they are in the U.S., even if it is cheaper to ship it here).

Last edited:

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
They are going to make people walking past jealous by showing Apple products on that big screen. I'd hate living near that store. :D

da-vid

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2010

The size of China's middle class in absolute numbers is comparable to the US, if not larger. And all of China's middle class is concentrated in the large cities, so it makes even more sense for Apple to build multiple stores in each major city.

Nungster

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2011
But I don't understand why Apple continues to open stores in same countries instead of different one. For instance, in Turkey there is no real Apple stores but crappy reseller with terrible customer services. I would like to hear about an Istanbul Apple Store with an awesome architecture like above-mentioned one :apple:

It's all about the tax situation. Once they open a brick and mortar store, the legal situation I suspect will change. Not being familiar with laws in each of the countries they have stores or wish to have stores in I could not tell you specifics, but that would be my best guess as to why they do not have retail stores in certain countries.

Once they have the agreements with national and local governments, it is easier to expand within that country.

DanielSw

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2009
Clearwater, FL
So the citizens can finally walk past an Apple store and say "I make these products. They are charging WHAT?!?! for it?!?"

Get out of this "stereotype-thinkng" mode and your condescension. All Chinese aren't the beleaguered "poor" which you people insist on championing. Most likely most of those "poor" Foxconn employees are quite happy to have their jobs.

mankar4

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2007
USA

When I was in China in June, I went to an apple store, and the prices were actually higher than they are in the US after conversion.

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009

From what I hear it's a combination of two things. First there are a ton of upper middle class people who can afford Apple products with ease. Second Apple product has become desirable enough that many Chinese save up just to get an Apple product.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.