Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

9to5Mac reports that prices for Apple's new iMac and Mac mini coming next week will be in line with current pricing, almost certainly confirming that the new iMac models will not carry more-expensive Retina displays.
The three Mac mini models will likely be priced at the same $599, $799, and $999 for the two standard models and single server model, respectively.

The new iMacs will also feature similar or same pricing as the current iMacs, but the top 27-inch and 21.5-inch models may feature slightly cheaper pricing in some countries. The current iMacs come in at $1199, $1499, $1699, and $1999 U.S. price points.
The news conflicts with a report from earlier this month claiming that the iMac would be seeing a price increase alongside a thinner form factor.

mac_mini_imac_2011.jpg
In a separate post, 9to5Mac also reports that Apple will for the first time offer 8 GB RAM module options for the iMac and Mac mini. While third-party RAM vendors have long offered 8 GB modules for Apple's machines, Apple itself has sold only 4 GB modules and thus only listed official support for 16 GB of RAM in the iMac and 8 GB in the Mac mini.

The higher-density modules will allow users to configure Mac mini orders with up to a total 16 GB of RAM in the machine's two RAM slots. The iMac could potentially see up to 32 GB of RAM, although that assumes the machine will continue to offer four slots as on the current models. Considering rumors of a thinner profile, this may or may not be the case.

Article Link: New iMac and Mac Mini Models to Retain Current Pricing, Add 8 GB RAM Module Options

briantology

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
So does this mean no updated design for the iMac?

Not necessarily, it "almost certainly confirm that the new iMac models will not carry more-expensive Retina displays."

I would assume there will be a redesign, given the delay, unless they were stretching for retina and had to scrap it.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
What does this mean for some of us 2012 non-retina MacBook Pro users? Will Apple change the maximum supported RAM capacity with these modules or will it be something that they reserve for these Mac minis and iMacs considering they are not of a lame duck design (and not "the future of the product line" per se)?

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Yes Yes Yes!

The 8 GB RAM increase so what I have been waiting for! I glad I waited after saving up for 3 years! I feel so choked up and happy right now.

Traveling to the states in summer 2013, will buy to additional sticks of 8 GB RAM and push it to 24!!!!

Damn I am so happy right now.

Going for the 27 inch by the way.

WhoDaKat

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
Please no Retina screens! I've got the 2011 model, and I have no idea how I'm going to explain to the wife why I bought one!

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
This is good news. Hope it keeps the 4 slots so I can throw in another 8GB in it.

ollyb

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2011
I can't actually believe that there are people out there who thought the iMac would come with a retina display, so had put "a little extra aside" to afford the uplift. A 27" retina iMac wouldn't come in at under $15k.

mchoffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Asheville, NC
I love how all of these "reports" are conflicting and we actually know NOTHING about what's coming in a mere 5 days... I can't wait to place my order next week... new design or not, I need a new machine and will buy SOMETHING next week, whether it's the new model or last year's model with a price drop (finally)

LastMinuteMike

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2012
Delay

I hope that the rumor about the new design still is true though, it's the only thing that would explain the delay now...

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
2 TB HD Standard

You know what would also be nice, if they pushed the standard 1 TB HD to 2 TB, but I will be happy with the 1 TB.

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
Graphics

if the slim down, what will happen to GPU? lesser capable?

to go slim, Apple might go with lower wattage like 45Watts desktop parts (Currently it is using 65watt quad core) OR 22nm CPUs are that good for thermals

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.