Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The classic ultraviolent racing game Carmageddon [App Store] has been resurrected on the iPhone and iPad following a tremendously successful Kickstarter campaign.

Stainless Games, the original developer of Carmageddon, is still in business and recently bought back all the rights to the game -- with the help of a Kickstarter campaign that raised $625,000, the game is back. The firm plans to bring it to Windows, Mac and Linux in the coming months, as well.

NewImage23.png
Carmageddon features real-world environments that have been turned into killing fields, where the locals stay out on the streets at their peril. As well as using your car as a weapon, every level is sprinkled generously with power-ups that have a vast variety of mad effects, adding a whole extra level of craziness to the proceedings. In every event you have the option to "play it your way"... Waste all your opponents, kill every pedestrian, or (perish the thought) complete all the laps. Oh and watch out - the cops in their super-tough armoured patrol vehicles are lurking, and if they catch you being bad they'll be down on you like several tons of cold pork!
The game is absurdly violent, but in an animated, slightly ridiculous way. For today only, Carmageddon is offered free as a thank you to the game's Kickstarter backers.

Carmageddon is available on the App Store for iPhone and iPad. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Classic Racing Game Carmageddon Comes to iPad and iPhone

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
One of the few games I've played a lot of multiplayer on; we used to play in the office after-hours. Manic fun with several people in the same room!

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
I can't tell you how many hours I've wasted on this game back in the day. Reliving the memories now is fun and the virtual controls seem to work pretty well.

Good news... this game is exactly how I remember it.

Bad news... this game is exactly how I remember it. The years haven't been kind and it looks more than a little outdated.

blakey91

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2011
England
This game had the worst handling cars in any game it was silly...
Imagine GTA san andreas on the iphone and ipad, that would be a dream.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Downloaded and already won my first race - on 'French kissing a Cobra' max difficulty of course!

I remember playing the ***** out of this back in the day so it's great to see this on my phone.

Controls quite hard to get set up right - both analog controls and tilt steering (which I usually like) seem over-awkward. Especially as this game loves to degrade your steering whenever you get hit / hit something (hint - this happens A LOT). Finally found the best controls by having both steer and gas on digital - this isn't how I have any other game set up but the responsiveness and decisiveness of the digital controls seems to work for such a frantic game.

Happy crashing!!

tarasis

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Here, there and everywhere
Grabbed this about 10 hours ago. Lovely to see it get onto iOS without a hitch and no need for Zombies in Germany :)

I found it plays well b the iPad and a little trickier on the iPhone. Still it's wonderful to have the option to play this and they have done a great job porting it

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
If I remember correctly, Carmageddon 2 was the pinnacle of the series. I played THE HELL out of that one in college. Wonder if that will see the light of day.

R1PPER

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2008
aahhh i remember the good old days of playing multiplayer Carmageddon 2 at work. Vastly better than any of the new ripoffs (twisted metal ext.)

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Woot! One of my favourite games series of my childhood!

It's a really high-quality port to iOS, very polished. The controls are adapted to touch well. They've even included the replay cam.

If you're on the fence about it, try it. This is one of the top AAA games in the App Store right now.

webworks415

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2008
If I remember correctly, Carmageddon 2 was the pinnacle of the series. I played THE HELL out of that one in college. Wonder if that will see the light of day.

I was a fan of the series overall, but I agree, Carmageddon 2 was the best. I spent so many hours on it.

DaveMcM76

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Got it for free in the UK last night (would happily have paid even if it wasn't free) and I'm loving it - especially the Youtube upload option on the replay theatre for sharing all those Cunning Stunt Bonuses with the world.

Graphically it is looking a bit dated but the game play is still as fast and gruesome and twisted and wonderful as I remember it. Glad to see they managed to keep the blood and weren't forced down the zombie pedestrian route that some of the PC releases got stuck with.

The timing of this couldn't be better as I recently found my (now 15 years old!) original PC version and was less than happy to find it doesn't seem to play well with the newer OS offerings from Microsoft.

Excellent job Stainless, and a worthy use of Kickstarter... now can we have Carmageddon 2 to go with it? Please???

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
Played it a bit last night and after about an hour, damn the controls are just horrid. Why not using the tilt sensor for steering? To me it's a game killer, it isn't any fun suffering with trying to turn or just stay on the road, and that's without the other cars trying to run you off the road. :(

kgian

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2011
I first tried tilt steering and it didn't go well. Then I switched to digital steering and the handling is perfect! Have wasted so many hours allready playing it on a new ipad!

MadDog31

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2007
I really wish someone would kickstart a port of Slipstream 5000 to the iOS world. It wasn't a massively popular PC app I don't believe, but it's a fun one to think back about when recalling my personal early-PC gaming days. It'd be great on an iPhone or iPad.

May give this game a shot.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Savegame bug causes loss of savegame

Well, it's a great game but I've been bitten by the savegame bug that some others are experiencing too.

Every time I start a new game, my old savegame is gone :( I have checked I am signed into game centre, started a new game, completed a race, gone back to title screen, checked savegame is there, then I close the app, shut the app down via the dock, then restart the app, and the savegame is gone. This is even though the carmageddon app welcomes me back with my game centre name.

I've sent a support request to the devs and I hope they're working on it. It is only the first day of release after all.

Ps game still rocks for a quick race. Digital steering is the way to go on this one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.