Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stieny

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2008
I posted this question in another thread but figured I could get more direct opinions by starting a new thread. That said....

In regards to the wifi issues some of the iPhones have been having with connecting to a network then dropping it a few min later, i have a question about my 5....

It refuses to connect to the wifi at work. I work in office suits in a professional wing at a hotel so I can pick up the hotels wifi. My 4S connected no problem but when I brought my MacBook into work one day it wouldn't connect. I would see the network as an option to connect but once selected, it would not connect at all. Same thing is happening now with my iPhone 5. You can see the network as an option but once you select on my phone is just continually tries to connect but the phone stays on LTE.

I thought it was an issue with the hotels network considering my MacBook and my iPhone 5 will not connect at all but my bosses iPad will connect.

At home I have Verizon fios and I have no issues. Connects right away and stays connected until I leave my house. I get a consistent 15 down and 5 up always. It also connects perfectly fine to my girlfriends network without any issues.

So does this sound related to the 5's wifi problems or is it just a network problem at work?

Mseek

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2012
try pressing on the arrow next to the network and press "forget network" then try to reconnect again. this worked for me when i couldn't connect to my school's network.

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
I have a 4S and the same thing sometimes happens to me with the Wi-Fi at my work.

try pressing on the arrow next to the network and press "forget network" then try to reconnect again. this worked for me when i couldn't connect to my school's network.

Mseek's suggestion above has worked for me numerous times in the past so I, too, would suggest giving that a try.

stieny

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2008
Thanks for the replies. I've tried that and still no connection. I just get the continuous revolving circle like its trying to connect.

But the phone has connected to evey single other network that I've tried everywhere else.

I would just assume it isn't a problem with the phone then since I'm not having the 'connect and dropped' signal wifi problem others are having.

It's just strange that my 4s and my bosses iPad connect but my MacBook and 5 doesn't.

Last edited:

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
Thanks for the replies. I've tried that and still no connection. I just get the continuous revolving circle like its trying to connect.

But the phone has connected to evey single other network that I've tried everywhere else.

I would just assume it isn't a problem with the phone then since I'm not having the connect and droppe signal wifi problem others are having.

It's just strange that my 4s and my bosses iPad connect but my MacBook and 5 doesn't.

One other thing you could try is to add the network manually after "forgetting" it, even if it shows up in the list of available networks. This has worked for me in the past.

If you're not familiar with adding a Wi-Fi network manually, just select "Other..." from the Wi-Fi screen, type in the network name, select the appropriate security (e.g. WPA2, WPA Enterprise), type in the appropriate credentials (the Wi-Fi at my work requires both a username & password), and see what happens.

stieny

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2008
One other thing you could try is to add the network manually after "forgetting" it, even if it shows up in the list of available networks. This has worked for me in the past.

If you're not familiar with adding a Wi-Fi network manually, just select "Other..." from the Wi-Fi screen, type in the network name, select the appropriate security (e.g. WPA2, WPA Enterprise), type in the appropriate credentials (the Wi-Fi at my work requires both a username & password), and see what happens.

I just tried with the same reauts. There isn't a password since it's technically the hotels free interet, so I just typed in the name and tried joining. Nothing.

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
I just tried with the same reauts. There isn't a password since it's technically the hotels free interet, so I just typed in the name and tried joining. Nothing.

Oh, right, the hotel's network...I forgot that bit. My wife works in a hotel and when she wants to connect to its network, she has to either accept some set of terms & conditions or "sign in" as a guest or something along those lines. I've experienced a similar thing with other "free" networks, such as at the airport near me. However, the prompt doesn't always come up automatically. I have to open up Safari and try to load a page before being prompted. I don't know if you've tried that but if you haven't, I'd suggest giving that a shot.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Oh, right, the hotel's network...I forgot that bit. My wife works in a hotel and when she wants to connect to its network, she has to either accept some set of terms & conditions or "sign in" as a guest or something along those lines. I've experienced a similar thing with other "free" networks, such as at the airport near me. However, the prompt doesn't always come up automatically. I have to open up Safari and try to load a page before being prompted. I don't know if you've tried that but if you haven't, I'd suggest giving that a shot.

Exactly.
You gotta usually check a box that says you agree to their terms etc.....

stieny

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2008

I already tried that too. No dice.

Since I'm in the office suits and not actually staying in the hotel, the signal is weak but my phone still pulls it up. It just won't connect.

If you go into the lobby of the hotel, there is a second wireless network they provide but with that one you actually get directed towards the terms and conditions page.

But everyone uses the other one. My boss with his iPad and myself with my previous 4s. All I had to do was turn on wifi and select the network.

My MacBook and new phone will not connect. It's very strange. I just don't want there to be an issue with my new phone that I'm unaware of. It seems like all of the 'legit' issues with the 5's wifi is connecting to a WPA2 network and then dropping it after a few minutes.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Try a reset network settings too.
If it wont connect and your macbook doesnt either its prob because the signal is too weak.
If it connects fine to all other wifi's dont stress it or over think it too much.
Its not your phone.

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
I already tried that too. No dice.

Since I'm in the office suits and not actually staying in the hotel, the signal is weak but my phone still pulls it up. It just won't connect.

If you go into the lobby of the hotel, there is a second wireless network they provide but with that one you actually get directed towards the terms and conditions page.

But everyone uses the other one. My boss with his iPad and myself with my previous 4s. All I had to do was turn on wifi and select the network.

My MacBook and new phone will not connect. It's very strange. I just don't want there to be an issue with my new phone that I'm unaware of. It seems like all of the 'legit' issues with the 5's wifi is connecting to a WPA2 network and then dropping it after a few minutes.

In that case, maybe the hotel's IT people (or person) have updated the Wi-Fi settings in some way that's causing this. Are you able to contact them to help troubleshoot? I ask if you're able to contact IT because, with the network at my work, I'm not really supposed to connect my iPhone to it so my IT people probably wouldn't help me if I was having a connectivity issue.

If, after trying everything else, your IT people say they haven't made any changes, then I'd deduce that the issue is with your new phone.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
In that case, maybe the hotel's IT people (or person) have updated the Wi-Fi settings in some way that's causing this. Are you able to contact them to help troubleshoot? I ask if you're able to contact IT because, with the network at my work, I'm not really supposed to connect my iPhone to it so my IT people probably wouldn't help me if I was having a connectivity issue.

If, after trying everything else, your IT people say they haven't made any changes, then I'd deduce that the issue is with your new phone.

I dont think he can contact them for support.
He's not even staying at the hotel, he's just trying to catch signal and use their wifi for free from across the street:D

stieny

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2008
Well the office suits is an entire wing of the hotel and owned by the hotel so I am technically inside of the hotel, just not an overnight guest.

I was just ruling out my phone for the simple fact that my MacBook that I bought 4 years ago is having the same issue but it connects to anything else whenever I travel. That would make me point a finger at the network itself and not my hardware.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Well the office suits is an entire wing of the hotel and owned by the hotel so I am technically inside of the hotel, just not an overnight guest.

I was just ruling out my phone for the simple fact that my MacBook that I bought 4 years ago is having the same issue but it connects to anything else whenever I travel. That would make me point a finger at the network itself and not my hardware.

That's what I was thinking too.
But if you want to waste some time troubleshooting it you can contact them since you inside the hotel. They might be able to help you or contact their network guy.

stieny

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2008
That's what I was thinking too.
But if you want to waste some time troubleshooting it you can contact them since you inside the hotel. They might be able to help you or contact their network guy.

Yea, that might be my next option....either that or just use LTE while at work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.