Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
oKay, about iMac shipping?
We probably won't find that out until the event itself, or close to it.

iMac volume will be much lower than the iPad mini, and it probably won't be orchestrated to arrive at everyone's front door on a certain day.

Look on the bright side. Maybe the slide we see on October 23 will say:

New iMac. Available: Now

frayne182

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Canada
Interesting, but a little to late for me. Nexus 7 is serving its purpose greatly.

Still will be watching the unveil though.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Without a graphic card installed - she wouldn't see a thing....LOL....just saying. I think you meant a discrete graphics card maybe? LOL

dunno lol i only know that sony never released updated nvidia drivers so shes stuck with the default setting which makes everything look big and blurry ^^

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2008
I still don't believe it. Not going to happen. It's a bad idea. Steve said so. These are all just rumors. I'll probably buy one for myself and one for my wife.

Seriously, I can't wait to see the iPad Mini in person. I love my iPad 1 and use it every day, but it's getting slow, and many apps crash. I use it strictly for fun, though, and it's hard to justify buying an iPad 3, what with all the other things I need to buy. An iPad Mini, if priced right, might be justifiable. :)

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
Yeah but I believe in order to hit the price point they want they won't.

See, this is the thing that bugs me about this. If this thing does get released one of the primary functions will be iBooks. I've used an iPad 2 and the new iPad, and it's no contest. Text is *way* better on the retina screen, and if Apple wants this thing to be a book reader as a primary function, they're shooting themselves in the foot not making it retina. That, and releasing a non-retina device at a time where the whole ecosystem is ramping up to retina seems counterproductive.

They've said it before, the screen is all. It's the way you interact with the device, it's the thing that matters most. No retina=no buy. Why would I ever want to trade down?

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I would be worried or at least more likely to hold off if the "iPad Mini" was not able to run applications that ran on the iPad 10". To be fair, I don't know exactly how well all iPad 10" applications will scale down to the 7.85" display, and I'd probably tend to trust Apple was making the correct move if they required applications be specifically released for the new size.

If you watched what happened with the iPhone 5, which has more points on the screen than any previous iPhone or iPod Touch, apps that were not modified showed / show some black margin. That obviously doesn't keep them from working. However, if an iPad Mini had fewer points on the screen than the iPad, unmodified apps would have some bits cut off at the side, and that would be unacceptable.

Therefore, you can be quite sure that the iPad Mini will have the same screen size in points as the iPad. Apps will work absolutely unchanged. The points that are displayed will just be about 20% smaller.

See, this is the thing that bugs me about this. If this thing does get released one of the primary functions will be iBooks. I've used an iPad 2 and the new iPad, and it's no contest. Text is *way* better on the retina screen, and if Apple wants this thing to be a book reader as a primary function, they're shooting themselves in the foot not making it retina. That, and releasing a non-retina device at a time where the whole ecosystem is ramping up to retina seems counterproductive.

Every point on the screen will be 20% smaller anyway. So if you change the font size in an eBook to be the same as on your iPad 2, the quality will be 25% better. Retina display costs power, power needs bigger battery, and an iPad mini doesn't have any space for a bigger battery. Therefore, no chance of a Retina display.

Yeah I can't see the 8GB working. With most Apps now containing Retina graphics, which have ballooned the average size of an App, 8GB just isn't gonna cut it. I believe the minimum is going to be 16GB. My bet on spec is

A5X
1GB RAM (although I could squint my eyes and see it being 512MB)

16Gb - $250
32GB - $299
64GB - $350

It's easy for Apple to filter out the Retina graphics when an app is installed on an iPad Mini. I don't think they bothered doing so on the iPad 2, but it's technically reasonably easy.

And there is no way in hell you will get 64GB for $350. There is also no way in hell you will get 32GB for $299 or 16 GB for $250, but definitely no way 64GB will sell for $350. I wouldn't buy 8 GB myself, but 8 GB for $229 is a price that greatly reduces the profit for Apple while killing the competition, so while its not something I would bet on, it is a possibility and Google, Amazon and everyone else would have to buy clean pants.

Last edited:

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
8GB? That's a joke.

Yeah I can't see the 8GB working. With most Apps now containing Retina graphics, which have ballooned the average size of an App, 8GB just isn't gonna cut it. I believe the minimum is going to be 16GB. My bet on spec is

A5X
1GB RAM (although I could squint my eyes and see it being 512MB)

16Gb - $250
32GB - $299
64GB - $350

8GB is the same size as the entry level Nexus 7 and also the entry level Kindle Fire. Knowing this, why is it so hard to believe?

I'd love for the starting specs to be 16gb as much as you do, but if it is 8gb, we shouldn't be compeltely shocked and disgusted by it. Obviously those other tablets are doing just fine at 8gb. Yes there is an issue with universal apps being bloated, but if that's a concern, then maybe Apple expects those to just get a bigger one then.

Since we are all throwing out guesses, I bet it'll be one of these two:
It will start at $249 for 8gb, with increments of $100 for more storage.
Or it'll start at $299 for 16gb, with increments of $100 for more storage.
Though I wouldn't be surprised, and slightly saddened, if it's $299 for 8gb.

Last edited:

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA

They've said it before, the screen is all. It's the way you interact with the device, it's the thing that matters most. No retina=no buy. Why would I ever want to trade down?

I agree. As I've said it in another thread. No retina, no sale. And I buy at least 1 of everything Apple sales.

But no retina on a tablet at this point is a step backwards. Screw the people who want CHEAP. Apple never stooped to that level in the computer market and they should keep that attitude with the tablet market. You want a $199 tablet, buy a cheap plastic piece-o-crap running balogna sandwhich.

Give me a iPad Mini with a retina display and I'll be up at 3am (EST) October 26th placing my preorder.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
8GB is the same size as the entry level Nexus 7 and also the entry level Kindle Fire. Knowing this, why is it so hard to believe?

Are they still selling 8GB Nexus models? I heard they were coming out with a 32GB mode for $259.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
"can" and "will" are very different things. Do you not know of the "save something for version 2" curse?

Cue 200+ posts of closet marketers with "why would they do that? It would hurt iPad sales"

...to go with the 2000+ posts of closet marketers arguing why a bigger-screen mini can't possibly cost less than the iPod Touch with the same memory specs (ignoring that bigger-screen iPads with cellular are priced cheaper than unlocked iPhones).

All that said though: I hope you are right (about the retina).
Retina probably would hurt sales, because Apple wants to deliver the best iPad mini they can within the following constraints:

1. Competitive price
  2. Decent profit margin (comparable to their other products)
  3. Competitive battery life
  4. Available November 2

If Apple could make the iPad Mini with a Retina display, but had to charge $459 for it, or give it a four hour battery life, they may as well not do it at all.

Next year, Apple will release a new iPad Mini, and it will be measurably better than the first one. People will say "This is the iPad Mini Apple should have released in the first place." Those people will deserve our scorn.

Colonel Badger

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2008

I'd love for the starting specs to be 16gb as much as you do, but if it is 8gb, we shouldn't be compeltely shocked and disgusted by it. Obviously those other tablets are doing just fine at 8gb. Yes there is an issue with universal apps being bloated, but if that's a concern, then maybe Apple expects those to just get a bigger one then.

Since we are all throwing out guesses, I bet it'll be one of these two:
It will start at $249 for 8gb, with increments of $100 for more storage.
Or it'll start at $299 for 16gb, with increments of $100 for more storage.
Though I wouldn't be surprised, and slightly saddened, if it's $299 for 8gb.

For the very reason I said. The Nexus etc. doesn't have to deal with Apps that contain additional Retina graphics. The Apple Apps do !

autrefois

macrumors 65816
Assuming the rumor's true about the Nov. 2 launch date, this could have a huge effect on the election in the US.

With the election just a few days after the launch, imagine all those people who will skip voting so they can buy or pick up their iPad mini. Plus those staying at home so they don't miss their shipment (I can't go vote: it could come a week early!), or driving around the country trying to find a store that might still have them in stock. Not to mention people who will be too busy playing with their new iPad minis to be bothered to vote...

Don't be surprised if voter participation is down a million or so! :eek:

apolkowski

macrumors regular
Assuming the rumor's true about the Nov. 2 launch date, this could have a huge effect on the election in the US.

With the election just 3 days after the launch, imagine all those people who will skip voting so they can buy or pick up their iPad mini. Plus those staying at home so they don't miss their shipment (I can't go vote: it could come a week early!) or driving around the country trying to find an Apple Store that might still have them in stock. Not to mention people who will be too busy playing with their new iPad minis to be bothered to vote...

And who wins then?

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
I agree. As I've said it in another thread. No retina, no sale. And I buy at least 1 of everything Apple sales.

But no retina on a tablet at this point is a step backwards. Screw the people who want CHEAP. Apple never stooped to that level in the computer market and they should keep that attitude with the tablet market. You want a $199 tablet, buy a cheap plastic piece-o-crap running balogna sandwhich.

Give me a iPad Mini with a retina display and I'll be up at 3am (EST) October 26th placing my preorder.

Don't forget that an iPad Mini would be packing the same amount of pixels into a smaller area than the iPad 2, so it would look better than the iPad 2. Also remember that the screen technology is also improving. The same PPI on a 3GS does not look anywhere near as good as a newer screen today like an iPad 2.

After owning the iPad 3, the iPad 2 looks gross to me :eek:, so believe me that I know how important it is. It sounds like it won't be retina, but close-to-retina, and improved over the iPad 2. I'll reserve judgement if it's not announced as retina.

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011

With the election just a few days after the launch, imagine all those people who will skip voting so they can buy or pick up their iPad mini. Plus those staying at home so they don't miss their shipment (I can't go vote: it could come a week early!), or driving around the country trying to find a store that might still have them in stock. Not to mention people who will be too busy playing with their new iPad minis to be bothered to vote...

And who wins then?

Liberal hippie free spenders in California buying their precious Apple products will forget to vote, allowing Romney to secure the first Republican win in California since, well since I've been able to vote anyway. I mean, I see them in the Samsung commercials waiting in line!

signed, a San Francisco resident. :cool:

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
How on Earth do you come up with that conclusion? Don't you remember a Jobs-era product called the iPod mini?

This is a totally different situation - back then, the iPod controlled a whole market, and the iPod Mini served a sizeable portion of that market with a clearly innovative product, the first compact iPod model, as well as the by-then-novel availability of brushed aluminum and several colors.

Again: Apple launched the iPod Mini as a daring concept in a market it already controlled. On the other hand, the rumored iPad Mini, if what pundits say is true, will just represent a dumbed-down, smaller iPad to serve as a RESPONSE to a market already dominated by Amazon and, to a lesser extent, Google.

Worse: it will canibalize normal iPad sales with a cheaper, weaker product and virtually ZERO innovation apart from its smaller size.

If it's NOT a leading-edge ereader (therefore serving a different market from the main iPad); if it does NOT contain innovative screen technologies (like haptic feedback or so); and if it's NOT priced right between the iPod Touch and the normal iPad, IT WILL FLOP.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009

You already have an iPad. In fact by your description you've bought two at this point. Apple isn't primarily interested in changing a high double digit percentage of iPad buyers into iPad mini buyers.

The primary interest here is selling iPad minis to people who have not bought iPad's before. For example, in selling them to businesses that might want to use the "iPad" as a tool like ( hand held check out , displays , inventory checking/tracking devices , etc. ) or those on a highly constrained budget ( e.g., schools ). The mini's objective is to retire the iPad 2 and be more effective because it can hit lower price points without sacrificing quality.

So having iPad 2 resolution for the first year isn't a problem.

Most likely they are going to laminate the screen similar to the iPhone 5 (and rMBP ). The display will be slightly better, but the revolution wouldn't occur until Apple had a much deeper understanding of how the iPad mini fit between the iPod Touch and the iPad 2012 in terms of scale and what people want.

Apple will more likely go for thinner ( laminating the touch sensor on the screen) before Retina. Apple's "thinner , lighter" obsession has been around alot longer than 'Retina' . That's actually going to be a challege is trying to go head-to-head primarily with an ereader. Lightweight one-handed use will be a factor.

If they have to wait until iPad mini v2 to snag some retina iPad 2012 users that is likely just fine with them. Sometime in the late Winter or Early Spring they will tempt iPad focused folks with the iPad 2013 version. If they put a bigger gap between the mini and the iPad 2013 then it will be easier to fit a mini with Retina in there. Apple tends not to take big risks. Or at least not a large number of them at the same time.

Apple will sell millions of iPad mini's even without a Retina display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.