Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

token787

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2012
I think all Ipad 2's will sale on refurbish site until they are depleted entirely.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
Bad!

This would be a very bad idea. The mini is a mini. It lacks the beautiful large display and touch surface of the full size iPad. Having an iPodTouch, a mini and a full size iPad gives people different options. Apple is trying to appeal to older users who previously didn't have computers and to aging eyes. Aging eyes like the larger print. The large display is wonderful for looking at photos and videos.

If anything Apple should expand with a iPadMax (a maxipad) that would be even larger, say 17" or so which could be hung on the wall as a picture, used as a desktop computer (with full MacOS integration) with a keyboard, etc.

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
Except for the iPhone 4S... and the iPod Classic... and the iPod shuffle...

It'll be a while till the 30-pin is gone.

Shuffle doesn't have a 30-pin. 3G and 4G iPod Shuffle have used a USB-to-headphone-jack connector.

iPod Classic is the lowest-volume seller in the line.

The 4S is the only widely-sold product that would need a retrofit.

h0mi

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2007
Shuffle doesn't have a 30-pin. 3G and 4G iPod Shuffle have used a USB-to-headphone-jack connector.

iPod Classic is the lowest-volume seller in the line.

The 4S is the only widely-sold product that would need a retrofit.

If the "new ipad" (not mini) gets the rumored retrofit, I wouldn't be too surprised to see the 4s get one too... eventually.

techwhiz

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2010
Northern Ca.
iPad Mini Pricing

An iPad Mini prices at $399 is dead on arrival.
Unlike when the iPad was initially introduced and Apple could define the value proposition, the 7" tablet market has already been defined.

Nexus 7 Specifications:
Quad Core Tegra 3
7", 1280x800 IPS Display
NFC, GPS, Gyroscope
Microphone
Front Facing Camera
8GB storage
etc...

All the for the price of $199. (16GB version is $249)
Apple needs to match this price point or come close to it to eliminate the Nexus 7 and the FireHD as competitors.

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
It makes a lot of sense to me. $299 touch, $399 mini, $499 iPad. Don't like price point, but Apple sets their own market.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
i haven't seen any iPad 2 refurb Wifi models in over a month.

they've been out of stock for a long time - i wonder if Apple is really out of stock or rationing it in at attempt to get people to buy this upcoming iPad Mini?

timcullis

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2012
London
I'm surprised it's taken this long for some analyst to state what I thought was blindingly obvious.

1) The iPad2 occupies a pricing sweetspot that will be duplicated with the iPad mini (low end models of which might actually come in at a slightly lower price than the iPad2). There's no need for two products addressing the same pricing point.

2) Apple would like to dominate the 7" market, so why reduce sales into this market by having the distraction of offering potential buyers the alternative of the iPad2?

3) Apple's revision of the 3rd gen iPad will undoubtedly include a Lightning connector. This will mean the mainstream products (iPhone 5, new iPods, iPad mini and revised iPad) will all be on the new connector.

How far will Apple go with the revisions on the 3rd gen iPad? Personally I think it will be limited to the connector and maybe 4G LTE for additional countries. No point in annoying customers who bought in the last few months, and the company might as well keep its powder dry for a major revision next year.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Apple can lower the barrier further by offering a small chalkboard styled to look like an iPad and sell it for around $35.00.

And here it is for only $35 each.

100308_Mini+Chalkboards.jpg

----------

1) The iPad2 occupies a pricing sweetspot that will be duplicated with the iPad mini (low end models of which might actually come in at a slightly lower price than the iPad2). There's no need for two products addressing the same pricing point.

2) Apple would like to dominate the 7" market, so why reduce sales into this market by having the distraction of offering potential buyers the alternative of the iPad2?

3) Apple's revision of the 3rd gen iPad will undoubtedly include a Lightning connector. This will mean the mainstream products (iPhone 5, new iPods, iPad mini and revised iPad) will all be on the new connector.

How far will Apple go with the revisions on the 3rd gen iPad? Personally I think it will be limited to the connector and maybe 4G LTE for additional countries. No point in annoying customers who bought in the last few months, and the company might as well keep its powder dry for a major revision next year.
1. I agree 100%. I feel this could kill the iPad2.
2. Very plausible.
3. I don't think the iPad (3rd Generation) will be updated in a few days time. I think it'll be possibly a mini only addition to the iPad line.

The Man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
The 16GB ipod touch starts at 299. If they price the ipad mini at the same price, then the ipod touch sales would be hit hard. I know that they are different form factors, but any one who has money for just one of those, will prefer a ipad mini for a ipod touch.

Since ipod touch is already selling for 299, I would say 349 as the starting price for the mini.

And btw, apple is a greedy company. I dont see them giving up on price so easily.

Why would Apple care if you buy an iPad mini for $299 over an iPod touch for $299? It's money in the bank either way. Both can hold their own value at the same price, because iPod has 32GB, is music player, is small, and has good camera. iPad starts at 16GB, is something for browsing, reading, watching TV and movies. Besides, people who want to buy a music player, don't buy an iPad mini.

----------

And here it is for only $35 each.

3. I don't think the iPad (3rd Generation) will be updated in a few days time. I think it'll be possibly a mini only addition to the iPad line.

I personally think it might be updated, because it was a stopgap. The battery is way too big for the new iPad, because it lacked the Sharp IGZO screen. Thus the iPad had to be thicker, is heavier, and charging takes very long. But Apple had to come out with the new iPad in March, so they went with their backup solution.

But if Apple now has the IGZO screen in quantities, I think they might introduce an updated iPad (3). The battery will be as small in capacity as the iPad 2. This will cost Apple less money, and it will be better to have a lighter and thinner iPad 3. It would be the first time Apple tweaked their offering this soon, but it is not unheard of in the whole PC industry (look at Samsung). If the new iPad was a stopgap, they want to roll out what they planned to roll in the first place as soon as possible.

lucasmonger

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2008
Illinois
An iPad Mini prices at $399 is dead on arrival.
Unlike when the iPad was initially introduced and Apple could define the value proposition, the 7" tablet market has already been defined.

Nexus 7 Specifications:
Quad Core Tegra 3
7", 1280x800 IPS Display
NFC, GPS, Gyroscope
Microphone
Front Facing Camera
8GB storage
etc...

All the for the price of $199. (16GB version is $249)
Apple needs to match this price point or come close to it to eliminate the Nexus 7 and the FireHD as competitors.

But, an iPad mini at $399 with retina would blow away the Nexus 7 for the display alone and cause the Microsoft Surface to be dead on arrival at $499 (also not retina). Apple is not going to come close to the Nexus 7 and Fire HD price points because there's no money to be made at those prices, just like Apple chose to not compete in the netbook market. Google and Amazon can continue to price their devices at cost or even at a loss and write down the costs with profits from the rest of their ecosystem, but why should Apple follow suit?

Hell0W0rld

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2010
This would be a very bad idea. The mini is a mini. It lacks the beautiful large display and touch surface of the full size iPad. Having an iPodTouch, a mini and a full size iPad gives people different options. Apple is trying to appeal to older users who previously didn't have computers and to aging eyes. Aging eyes like the larger print. The large display is wonderful for looking at photos and videos.

If anything Apple should expand with a iPadMax (a maxipad) that would be even larger, say 17" or so which could be hung on the wall as a picture, used as a desktop computer (with full MacOS integration) with a keyboard, etc.

dream on, but sonner or later they might just merge OSX and iOS together so 27" mobile imac in 10 years or so, who knows. (Well the people who know the long term roadmaps know, but they are not going to tell us, are they?)

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I find this speculation very unlikely to come true.

7 inch vs. 10 inch is a matter of preference / usage. 7 inch has a huge advantage and a huge disadvantage: The advantage is that it is a lot smaller. The disadvantage is that it is a lot smaller. Most people who were going to buy the iPad 2 are not going to buy a 7 inch iPad, and they will not want to spend $100 more for the iPad 3.

dream on, but sonner or later they might just merge OSX and iOS together so 27" mobile imac in 10 years or so, who knows. (Well the people who know the long term roadmaps know, but they are not going to tell us, are they?)

People with common sense know this is not going to happen. There will be more and more common code, but a user interface that works fine on a tablet is rubbish for a desktop with two monitors and vice versa. Unfortunately for Microsoft and its customers, they haven't figured that quite out yet :)

Something hanging on the wall would have to be much bigger; 40 inch upwards. And you can buy that already: Get any large TV with wall mount and a Mac Mini.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
It makes a lot of sense to me. $299 touch, $399 mini, $499 iPad. Don't like price point, but Apple sets their own market.

Except that $299 iPod touch includes 32GB. $499 iPad includes 16GB, so you need to base your pricing structure against $199 16GB iPod touch (4th generation).

If you average out 16GB $199 iPod Touch and $499 iPad, 16GB iPad mini will retail at $349. If iPad mini debuts with non-retina screen, it will retail below $349.

At the same time, Apple is probably planning to update iPad mini with retina screen within 1-2 years, so it probably doesn't want to price iPad mini too low. $249 would be ideal, but for this reason, I strongly suspect iPad mini will start at $299.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
It's possible, but it does make sense to have a $249-$299 non-Retina iPad mini, a $399 non-Retina iPad, and then a $499 Retina iPad.

sineplex

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2010
Geeze, if they're bringing in an updated 'new' ipad plus a whole line of ipad minis

an the analyst speculates they'll drop the ipad2??

he must be a god damn genius. hell, no one has ever mentioned this in the last 3 months. never.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.