Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ciclismo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Germany
Did he really forget, or was what Apple was offering below par and he had hoped that maybe they'd come back to him with a better offer? Apple may be a great place to work, but not every employee gets what they want, or need, or deserve out of them. if everyone that worked there did, then no one would ever leave.

nullz

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2012
Probably a good thing - Now he'll be working on jailbreaks rather than working on stopping jailbreaks :D

I doubt it. Now that he's worked at Apple, they can claim that he is privy to Apple's trade secrets, and could credibly sue him for making public any method of jailbreaking Apple devices.

munkery

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2006
Given his skill set and connections in the industry, he will most likely get higher paying employment with a security company than being an intern at Apple.

Also, exploits for vulnerabilities can be sold. In the vulnerability grey market, exploits like the ones he produces sell for big money.

DanteMann

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2011
Not everyone cares to kiss Apple's ass. Bravo. Now go over to Samsung and make Apple regret their decision.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I'm wondering if "remote intern" is just a clever way to "fire" him without legally firing him.
Was he being pushed out of the company, now that they got whatever info out of him they wanted.
Was he a remote intern before, or was this a change in title/designation/status?

Anyone heard of this before?
I kind of think you need to read it again, or I do. I think he was always a remote intern and I don't think a company looking to push anyone out is going to unleash them into the world to work from wherever outside of the watchful eye. Think about it.

Probably mostly lies in this story....

It's not like Apple wouldn't let him know while he is employed as intern that they will be re hiring him....

They wouldn't just shoot him an email out of the blue and be like "hey you want to keep working for us" lol.

If he is remote I don't doubt that they shot him an e-mail. Most people who work in the real world read their e-mails and those who do not find themselves out of a job eventually.

And to those calling him a douche by his photo; how incredibly narrow-minded people are these days. To get to a point where you can look at some scruffy 20 year old kid and think he's a douche is absurd to me. He "forgot" to respond to an e-mail and that smells fishy but there has to be way more to the story.

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
Only at Apple? I guess this guy needs a crash course such as "How To Cope In The Real World 101".

I like how you guys talk about the "real world" as if it's hard, or something only some people can handle. Get over yourself.

And by the way, as far as the "real world" goes... you're hitting buttons on a board, entering 0's and 1's into a box and sending them hundreds of miles away within a matter of seconds into another box where it's stored and displayed for others to look at and reply to in the same way.

You call this reality?

Get real.

----------

What a prat, he needs to lean how the real world works, big opportunities like this don't come along too often especially in the current labour market.

You're confusing the rate at which opportunities come to sub-120s like you, and people like Allegra.

Understandable mistake.

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
There are so many flawed assumptions in your post.

1. If you want it so bad go get a job there yourself? Like every company it has it's ups and downs.

2. I read the email as a young kid not necessarily having a handle on how things are done. The jealously underlying your tone tells me your view will be quite different, and just a little bit sad.

I'm not in any field that Apple deals with, and I have great respect for anyone talented enough in their field to get hired there. My point was that if I was offered a job at one of the best places to work in the world, I would have been on making sure I'm replying to my email.

Maybe I'm wrong about him being arrogant on second thought. I guess I was trying to say that you can be the smartest and most talented person in the world, but you can't be unmindful, otherwise you'll get the boot. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that you should reply to an email offering you a long term job.

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
My point was that if I was offered a job at one of the best places to work in the world, I would have been on making sure I'm replying to my email.

You want to work for Apple? Foxconn just sent you an email :)

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that you should reply to an email offering you a long term job.

They were offering him a continuation of his internship.

AmpSkillz

macrumors regular
Probably for the best. Im sure he didnt want to be a career intern.

I am quite sure that this "remote intern" job was much more like a monthly "please don't release any hacks for iOS" pay off, and not so much a career choice he would have to be stuck in.

I have no doubt that Apple had him contractually restricted from releasing any iOS hacks as long as they were paying him, with further stipulations that he report all coding errors/loopholes he found exclusively to Apple.

ipadDev

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2010
Being a low-level apple code monkey or hardware jockey is not the best pay in the world. I'd offer him 90k+benefits+equity to work full-time in Texas with a clear path to 100k+ in a year or two.

Hopefully he can get back to jailbreaking. He most likely will not be able to go by comex or his real name since he signed an NDA with Apple and probably learned a lot about A5/A6 boot-loader security with insider Apple knowledge.

Bahamut Eos

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2008
Los Angeles
I don't understand the hostel reactions to this guy. :confused: He's not working for apple, not that happy about it, that's fair. Missing an e-mail deadline doesn't make him a bad person.

Also he looks like a Harry Potter for sure.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Being a low-level apple code monkey or hardware jockey is not the best pay in the world. I'd offer him 90k+benefits+equity to work full-time in Texas with a clear path to 100k+ in a year or two.

Hopefully he can get back to jailbreaking. He most likely will not be able to go by comex or his real name since he signed an NDA with Apple and probably learned a lot about A5/A6 boot-loader security with insider Apple knowledge.

sounds good to me

pandamonia

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2009
Why would you want to work for Apple anyway. Biggest nazi employer on the planet. No trust no loyalty and crappy hours and no life.

He would be better off working at Google. At least they have a good culture.

You only have to look at the acquisition retention of staff of Apple vs Google.

At Apple they cant wait to get out.

chairguru22

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2006
PA
Yea... when someone asks you if you want to keep working and you don't respond... you tend to stop working there...

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
like said previously in this thread, there are likely better offers out there for this guy than being an intern at apple

Your statement's strangely got nothing to do with my response to someone calling me jealous in response to my original post, calling the young man a douche bag for having lost sight of Apple's email.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.