Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2010
Someone needs to tell Ive these things are WAY too fat. That is disgusting look how fat that is. Hoping it would be even thinner and perhaps just lose all ports besides the power of course so we could get it thinner. Total letdown. :(

Oink Oink

Actually the magsafe is bulky as well, just remove it, maybe use mats for charging or something? I don't know these Apple machines.... I can't even lift them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
No optical drive?

We don't know, check back after the 23rd...

Oh wait did you mean the MBPr13 or iMac, sorry one track mind here LOL

The MBPr13 will NOT have DVD if it's big brother is any guide. you'll either need an external one or get the non-retina MBP13.

Geminist

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2012
The Chinese post said no discrete gpu. Also interestingly said the thing was designed with a hdd instead of ssd initially.

Oh and he said that the battery design is weird and is something to look forward to.

Winter Charm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2008
I've read some rumors pointing to an integratedGPU-only rMBP. And I think that will be the case.

Hey guys ¿Do you see those batteries? ¿how long do you think the battery-life will be?

And talking about batteries... This kind of batteries are glued to the chassis of the MBP ¿right? ¿Do you know if Apple has a battery replacement service for this kind of MacBook Pro? In the Genius bar, I mean.

Apple does have a battery replacement service at the genius bar. :)

dynamojoe

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2011
Miami, FL
The only way I'm in on this is if there's a non-glossy screen option, which so far has never appeared on a 13". Retina's great unless you're in a spot where you can't control glare. Then it's a nightmare.

I might as well just break down and get a 15" matte but I'm still hopeful Apple will fix this glaring (geddit?) oversight. I can wait a few more days.

Winter Charm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2008
This is probably going to be the killer for most people that are looking to upgrade from an Air.

If it has a discreet graphics chip in that package. I'll take two! :D

I just need discreet graphics in a smaller chassis if possible.

----------

I'm pretty sure it won't have it.
C'mon, look at the 15" rMBP. Look at the batteries distribution. It's almost impossible.

Exactly. An Optical drive doesn't seem likely. Hopefully, that extra space goes to discreet graphics.

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
which makes it kind of a no-no for me if it stays that way
Right and you cannot set the resolution to scaled 1920X1200 then. Oh, wait, you can.

You could also download the setres command line tool to set it to the native resolution any time you wanted.

I've successfully run my rMBP in 2880X1800 mode.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
This is probably going to be the killer for most people that are looking to upgrade from an Air.

I have the 11.6" Air. If the Air doesn't get "Retina" treatment next year, I may well consider stepping up to the 13" rMBP. The usable screen space would be about the same.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
The only way I'm in on this is if there's a non-glossy screen option, which so far has never appeared on a 13". Retina's great unless you're in a spot where you can't control glare. Then it's a nightmare.

I might as well just break down and get a 15" matte but I'm still hopeful Apple will fix this glaring (geddit?) oversight. I can wait a few more days.

The new retina MBP displays have a special coating that reduce glare significantly.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Despite the fact it is leaked, it's handy to know what ports it has. Dual TB is clearly responsive to feedback. I bet the USB is, of course, a combo 3/2 port.

I am more curious if it has a SSD slot aka Air. I bet it does.

They released the 13" second BECAUSE it outsells the 15". They had to debug it.

Rocketman

george-brooks

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

I started a thread asking for an anti-glare rMBP and was met with a LOT of negative feedback. I'm glad someone feels the same.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
$although it has less usable room (being 2x 1280x800 vs 1440x900 on the 13" Air).

The 15" Retina MBP lets you choose how much 'usable room' you want. The default 2x mode is only one of five choices.

I would expect to see the same on the 13" model. Of course you sacrifice a tiny bit of the perfect retina sharpness by choosing one of those, but being able to choose on the fly without the horrible artifacts you get when running a lower density panel at non native res will be pretty nice

----------

Wouldn't the 13" screen have been easier to develop and manufacture than the 15" though?

Yes, but I would expect that the expected demand for the 13" model starting at $1699 will be higher than the 15" model starting at $2199.

The 15" panel will have slightly lower yields than the 13", but they also don't need to make as many of them.

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
Hdmi

I do not understand the logic of including HDMI.

Apple did not provide HDMI when Apple TV was not that popular.

Now AppleTV, QuickSynch Technology easily mirrors your mac to the TV.

HDMI will be useful sometimes, but not a lot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.