Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last week, we noted that Apple had expanded its iMac 1TB Seagate Hard Drive Replacement Program to include iMac models sold between October 2009 and July 2011. The program provides for free replacement of the defective Seagate drives or reimbursement for repairs already paid for out of pocket by machine owners.

Apple has now begun emailing customers for whom it has contact information associated with a purchase of one of the affected machines. The email provides essentially the same information as is posted on the replacement program's support page, but helps ensure that iMac owners are aware of the issue.
Dear iMac owner,

Apple has determined that certain 1TB Seagate hard drives used in 21.5-inch and 27-inch iMac systems may fail. These systems were sold between October 2009 and July 2011.

Our records show that you have an iMac with an affected 1TB Seagate hard drive. Apple will replace your hard drive with a new one, free of charge, under the iMac 1TB Seagate Hard Drive Replacement Program.
imac_seagate_drive_recall_email.jpg
Owners of affected iMac machines are covered for three years or until April 12, 2013, whichever provides longer coverage.

Article Link: Apple Notifies iMac Owners of Expanded Seagate Hard Drive Recall

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
I own a 2011 iMac. But I didn't receive such an email. Maybe my iMac is not affected by this. I hope so.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Do you have a Western Digital HDD? I have one except it's a WD drive instead of Seagate.

From the system information all I could get is the model number is:
ST31000528AS

That's a Seagate right?

[edit]http://www.apple.com/au/support/imac-harddrive/
iMac 1TB Seagate Hard Drive Replacement Program

That's the link if you want to check.

I put my serial number in and got this:
The iMac serial number you entered is not eligible for this program. No further action on your part is needed at this time.
So seems my HDD is a good one.

cosmichobo

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
Question is - Why don't Apple do this standard for ALL of their Repair Programs?

Would have been great for the eMac, that had people continue to suffer badcaps for years after the event.

Tarheels

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Don't believe the website when it tells you that you don't have a Seagate HD

I put the serial number for my iMac purchased June 2011 in on the webpage for the replacement program, and it came back saying that I didn't have a Seagate HD (as previously noted by the8thark). I went into the System Information (Click the Apple at top left > About This Mac > More Information > System Report > Hardware > Serial-ATA) and found that I have a model number ST31000528AS in my iMac, which is in fact a Seagate 1TB HD (again, noted by the8thark, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148433). Given the discrepancy, I call Apple to discuss the matter.

I talk to an Advisor and Sr. Advisor that both said the records show I have a Western Digital drive in my iMac. I insisted that it was a Seagate, and sent them a screenshot of my System Information window. Long story short, they are replacing my HD.

If you are in the same situation, call Apple and reference case number 361827989 as to why they should replace yours too!

jquebedeaux

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2008
Baton Rouge, LA
@tarheels

Thanks for posting that. I have the same model seagate in my iMac 21.5" mid-2011 which JUST failed this week. According to the Apple site my SN isn't eligible for the program. I bought it in July 2011 and the seagate model matches. So i will be giving them a call and see why mine isn't part of the program, perhaps they think it's not a seagate.

I would have just replaced it with a WD drive that was larger, but i'm figuring out there are ALL kinds of issues with that.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
@Tarheels
That's a very nice thing to know. I think I'll have to give them a call next week just to get this sorted out. Thanks for that info.

Sir Cecil

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
Some of us had terrible trouble with those Seagate drives and reported so here at the time. I returned several of those iMacs with the Seagate drives and ended up getting a Macbook Pro instead. The belly-rumbling noise from those drives was terrible and MANY posters reported it at the time. It seems crazy that it's taken so long for Apple to do something about it. It was obvious to anyone with ears that the drives had a problem. As I recall, the noise would start between a couple of days and a week of first being used. I recall many frustrated buyers reporting the same, and eventually going for the 2TB option to avoid the 1TB Seagate problems.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
I just asked the same question on the official Apple community forums and was basically told "offtopic will report you". So very rude. Makes me glad to be a MacRumor member. The members here are very helpful.

Tarheels

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2011
Atlanta, GA
My iMac seems to have an Hitachi 1TB hard drive, is this correct?

Go into your system information (Click the Apple at top left > About This Mac > More Information > System Report > Hardware > Serial-ATA) and tell us what it says in the Model information.

MCP-511

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2010
Does anyone know what happens to your old drives? I'm concerned about giving them a drive with all my private data.

I had the same concern. If the drive is totally not working, I would not be to worried about it. However, mine was not booting and would state SMART status failed, but it would boot off the SD card I setup when it started acting up. It was making a lot of noise. The drive was readable and I could copy stuff off of it. Thus my concern, because it refused to let me delete anything off it as if it was locked. Even my admin password would not allow me to drag anything to the trash. I managed to erase it with disk utility today though. Now I feel much better about taking it in for the free repair.

I have not received any e-mail from Apple yet and I bought it directly form the Apple store.

IGregory

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2012
Question is - Why don't Apple do this standard for ALL of their Repair Programs?

Would have been great for the eMac, that had people continue to suffer badcaps for years after the event.

Probably because it is or has been involved in several Class Action suits lately. Better to be proactive rather than reactive and then having to pay attorney fees for both sides. Besides, where the components were purchased from another manufacturer, they will be responsible for the costs. :cool:

GoshKruse

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2008
Already been replaced once!

My hard-drive, which failed just 3 months ago, has already been replaced, yet I still received the email notice and my serial number comes up as eligible. It's unclear if my replacement (ST31000528AS rev. AP2E) is affected in the recall.* I've now called Apple Support twice and have gotten two different answers.** On the first call, the technician said if the your serial number comes up as eligible - and it's a SeaGate drive, you should take it in and replace it.* The second technician said if it's been replaced, it should be fine and even sent me an email assuring me its fine. * Does anyone know if the prior replacement drives are faulty. And what brand is the replacement drive?

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
My hard-drive, which failed just 3 months ago, has already been replaced, yet I still received the email notice and my serial number comes up as eligible.

A friend of mine is in a similar situation, though his drive was replaced with a different manufacturer's drive. He still got the notice.

If your original Seagate was replaced with another Seagate, it may or may not be an affected drive. But if Apple's offering you a free replacement, take it. You'll have a brand new hard drive.

My iMac drive, BTW, was manufactured by Samsung. Hope it doesn't die if Apple wins their lawsuits. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.