Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Old Oct 20, 2012, 01:55 PM   #1
mulo
macrumors 68020

Send a message via MSN to mulo
Help me find a camera backpack

Hi all
I've been looking for a camera backpack recently, but don't know which one to get (or even where to look!..) so I figured I'd ask you guys!

I'm looking for a backpack type bag, that will hold a quite a bit, not only gear, but also personal items. The bag will mainly be my camera bag, but I also want it to double as a laptop bag, as I often carry both of those around.

I would like the bag to be able to hold most, if not all, of these items at the same time:
  • Canon 7D +grip
  • Canon 24-70mm f/2.8
  • Canon 70-200mm f/2.8
  • Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro
  • Tamron 200-400mm f/5.6
  • Canon speedlite 600ex-rt
  • MBP 17"
  • Chargers
  • Batteries
  • Filters
  • Cleaning kit

- Mulo
mulo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2012, 09:18 PM   #2
Wyro
macrumors member

Incase Pro DSLR Backpack.

http://goincase.com/products/detail/...o-pack-cl58059

Looks pretty sweet. The only thing this backpack is lacking is a built in rain cover.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 09:40 PM   #3
Bebel
macrumors member

While I love my Incase Pro DSLR Backpack, I don't know if it would fit that monster 17" MBP. It'd fit all the items on your list with a 15" MBP though.
Bebel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2012, 12:58 AM   #4
phrehdd
macrumors 68000

Perhaps not the answer you are looking for but bags are like cameras - until you get your hands on them, its just "good on paper" so to speak.

I have good luck with a couple but they may not be right for you - Kata and Thinktank. There are so many kinds out there and some people prefer to take a regular backpack and customize it. They do this not only because of the ability to customize but it hides the fact they are carrying camera equipment.

Hope you get a chance to check out a few. The biggest frustration I have found is quick access to equipment as well as ability to as quickly store equipment. This is for regular bags and backpacks. So - depending on how you like to work, you need to figure out not just fitting in your equipment but accessibility needs.

Just my two cents.
phrehdd is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2012, 01:55 AM   #5
mulo
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyro View Post
Incase Pro DSLR Backpack.

http://goincase.com/products/detail/...o-pack-cl58059

Looks pretty sweet. The only thing this backpack is lacking is a built in rain cover.
I like the looks of that, I am however a little discouraged. Because in the video the fit for the quick camera access and laptop looks quite tight, so I'm not sure my 7d+grip would fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebel View Post
While I love my Incase Pro DSLR Backpack, I don't know if it would fit that monster 17" MBP. It'd fit all the items on your list with a 15" MBP though.
In my experience, bags that will hold a 15" pc, will usually hold a 17" mac, so this doesn't have to be an issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrehdd View Post
Perhaps not the answer you are looking for but bags are like cameras - until you get your hands on them, its just "good on paper" so to speak.
but, as you point out. the only way to know is to actually hold it

Last edited by mulo; Oct 21, 2012 at 07:42 AM.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 03:46 AM   #6
jalagl
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via ICQ to jalagl
Take a look at Kata Bags. Several of my friends swear by it.
jalagl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:15 AM   #7

I'm not sure if this will fit everything you need it to, but I've heard alot of great things about Pelican cases/backpacks: http://www.pelican.com/backpacks_det...?Backpack=U140

I've also heard good things about thinktank bags: http://www.thinktankphoto.com/catego...backpacks.aspx
666423 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2012, 01:08 PM   #8
MCAsan
macrumors 68030

What are the requirements on security (major compartments only open from the back of the backpack) or weather proofing? For a weather proof backpack it is hard to beat Lowepro Vertex line.
iPad Air 2 | Silver | 128GB | WiFi only
MCAsan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2012, 05:58 PM   #9
mulo
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCAsan View Post
What are the requirements on security (major compartments only open from the back of the backpack) or weather proofing? For a weather proof backpack it is hard to beat Lowepro Vertex line.
Well none really. A rain cover would be nice though as my region is quite rainy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcingram View Post
I'm not sure if this will fit everything you need it to, but I've heard alot of great things about Pelican cases/backpacks: http://www.pelican.com/backpacks_det...?Backpack=U140

I've also heard good things about thinktank bags: http://www.thinktankphoto.com/catego...backpacks.aspx
@Pelican: Holy crap IP67... I wasn't planing on going scuba diving with it!

the thinktank streetwalker harddrive seems like it might fit the bill, despite being ugly as hell
I think I'll see if any of my local dealers have that one, so I can check it out. (the probably wont as they mostly only sell entry level stuff)
Old Oct 22, 2012, 08:25 AM   #10
Photoshopper
macrumors regular

+1 for LowePro bags-- big range of sizes/styles, built like tanks and AW series have built-in rain covers.
Photoshopper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:10 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulo View Post
the thinktank streetwalker harddrive seems like it might fit the bill, despite being ugly as hell
I think I'll see if any of my local dealers have that one, so I can check it out. (the probably wont as they mostly only sell entry level stuff)
I'll second that - it is pretty ugly! They're all pretty awful looking! hehe, I hope you're able to find it, and it works out for ya.
666423 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:19 AM   #12
wolfpuppies3
macrumors 6502

Think Tank Photo back packs. Hold your MBA as well. Very very high quality, available in various sizes. Highly recommended.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:50 AM   #13
Hberg
macrumors member

Check out F-Stop. They make quality backpacks. I have the Loka with a small and medium pro ICU.

http://fstopgear.com

I have similar equipment.

Canon 7D
Canon 24-70mm f/2.8
Canon 70-200mm f/2.8
Canon Extender EF 2x III
MBP 15"
Chargers
Batteries
Filters
Cleaning kit
Hberg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:01 AM   #14
chrisgayle885
macrumors newbie

My brother is seeking training in professional photography so needs to attend classes, school on the same day. He needs to carry his camera-kit, Batteries, filter; laptop, charger all together. So he bought this Briggs & Riley Luggage @Work Medium Executive Clamshell Backpack which he uses almost every day. I think itís totally worth the money spent as this bag has unique, well-structured compartments to fit your Camera, lens and Laptop at the same time.
chrisgayle885 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:31 AM   #15
ocabj
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I have the Streetwalker Pro and it's my go to bag for a day shoot and when I don't need to lug two bodies.

This is what it basically looks like:

While a proponent of Think Tank Photo gear (see: http://www.ocabj.net/carrying-my-gea...nk-tank-photo/), I'm pretty sure that the Streetwalker HD won't work for you considering the list of gear you want to stick in it. The number of lenses is a problem, plus the HD will hold a 15" laptop only if carrying an ungripped body (according to the TTP spec sheet). Perhaps the TTP Airport Commuter would be a safer choice.

For non-TTP options, Lowepro and Kata are solid.

But carrying all that camera gear and a laptop in a backpack, to me, though, isn't ideal. I used to have a LowePro Vertex 300 AW. It was a massive backpack, held two gripped bodies, a ton of lenses, a laptop, and the kitchen sink. But all that in a backpack was just too unwieldy.

I ended up selling that backpack, and went smaller. I realized that if I were going to carry a laptop with my camera gear, it would either be just for just casual photo shooting or for a trip where I need to edit on location or on the road.

For casual shooting, I could just stick with a body and a lens which means a messenger bag would work.

For the latter, I would be better served with a roller bag (which is where my Think Tank Airport International comes into play).

Last edited by ocabj; Nov 26, 2012 at 01:55 PM.
ocabj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:43 PM   #16
ctyhntr
macrumors 6502

I've been using this for the last month or so. My only regret so far, as that it only holds 1 tripod.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Backpack.html

I have carried a Canon DSLR with battery grip with a 70-200mm f2.8 lens, along with 5 lenses, flash, a Vixia video camera, and about 15 assorted batteries, and power adapters, an iPad, and 15" mbp. The bag is rated to hold 17" laptop. Next size up for me would be a roller bag.
ctyhntr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:33 PM   #17
Prodo123
macrumors 68020

I currently use a Tenba Large Messenger, which can fit a 17" laptop.
It has space, but in my opinion it could have more without any complaints from me

It holds:
Canon Rebel T2i w/ battery grip
MBP 15"
24-70 f/2.8L
70-200 f/2.8L IS II
18-55 kit
2 extra batteries and 1 extra memory card
MBP charger
2 graphing calculators
school supplies (1" worth of folders and paper)
pens and pencils

It's a squeeze, especially with the battery grip, but it's very stylish and comfortable.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 02:54 PM   #18
mulo
macrumors 68020

just a quick update - still looking...

any recommendations on this one?
Old Dec 4, 2012, 07:13 PM   #19
ocabj
macrumors 6502

Quote:

A friend of mine has the Expedition 8. It's basically the same bag as the Lowepro 300 AW I used to own. Translation: It's HUGE.

But it's high quality and will carry all the gear you listed in your original post, and then some.
ocabj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 07:47 PM   #20
mustang_dvs
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

I have the Expedition 7.

I love it.

It holds all my Canon gear at once (save the 50-500mm f/4.5-6.3 Bigma), it's comfortable to wear while hiking, it'll hold two tripods (if your back can take it) and it's quite weatherproof (I've used it in downpours).

But, I also have a pair of J-1 bags, an FX-5B and a couple of Pelican cases -- whichever gets the job done.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 08:30 PM   #21
monokakata
macrumors 65816

Yesterday I got an email from ThinkTank, with news about a backpack that looks very interesting.

http://www.mindshiftgear.com/

It seems to be a Kickstarter project. I'm not in the market, so I didn't chase down details.
monokakata is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 01:37 PM   #22
puckhead193
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by monokakata View Post
Yesterday I got an email from ThinkTank, with news about a backpack that looks very interesting.

http://www.mindshiftgear.com/

It seems to be a Kickstarter project. I'm not in the market, so I didn't chase down details.
saw that yesterday too, looks expensive as hell...

For the OP what about the Think Tank Airport Series.
http://www.thinktankphoto.com/catego...backpacks.aspx
iPod Touch, 64 GB iPhone 5, 64 GB iPad 3
puckhead193 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 02:56 PM   #23
mulo
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocabj View Post
A friend of mine has the Expedition 8. It's basically the same bag as the Lowepro 300 AW I used to own. Translation: It's HUGE.

But it's high quality and will carry all the gear you listed in your original post, and then some.
well that should fit the bill then ehh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by monokakata View Post
Yesterday I got an email from ThinkTank, with news about a backpack that looks very interesting. It seems to be a Kickstarter project. I'm not in the market, so I didn't chase down details.
It does look nice, i'm just not sure about it, not that I am about any bag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckhead193 View Post
saw that yesterday too, looks expensive as hell...

For the OP what about the Think Tank Airport Series.
I did look at those when they were first announced (thats how long i've been looking ), I do do the airport thing a bit it just doesn't look very comfortable.. at all
Old Dec 6, 2012, 05:38 AM   #24
Joseph Farrugia
macrumors regular

I own a number of bags,

I can't reccommend this backpack enough:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-L-Gree...item3f1c60c6cd
Joseph Farrugia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 09:58 AM   #25
rcappo
macrumors regular

I like the Pelican backpack. Their other cases have served me very well, and I don't want to have to worry about my gear being tossed around by airport staff sometimes...
rcappo is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography