Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neilmacd

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
UK
Trying to get a solid answer on this but not getting much luck.

Do iTunes movie downloads (HD) generally come with the same bonus features that you'd expect to get on the Bluray version? I've seen a few mention special features, but are they usually fully featured or just a watered down selection?

Considering going fully digital but extras are the deal breaker!

wharzhee

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
texas
Trying to get a solid answer on this but not getting much luck.

Do iTunes movie downloads (HD) generally come with the same bonus features that you'd expect to get on the Bluray version? I've seen a few mention special features, but are they usually fully featured or just a watered down selection?

Considering going fully digital but extras are the deal breaker!

not all, only when u see the itunes "extra" tag

some blurays come with an itunes code, and some itunes code can be used to redeem the movies in HD(the rest are in SD). you should check out some of the thread, someone did a collection of what movies come with (iTunes) HD downloads

neilmacd

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
UK
not all, only when u see the itunes "extra" tag

some blurays come with an itunes code, and some itunes code can be used to redeem the movies in HD(the rest are in SD). you should check out some of the thread, someone did a collection of what movies come with (iTunes) HD downloads

Thanks! Unfortunately on looking further it seems my hopes have been dashed, had no idea iTunes Extra won't work (currently/ever?) with Apple TV 2 or 3. That's a shame as I was looking to ditch my Bluray player :(

Maybe the new iTunes might kick something off, not holding out much hope though.

wharzhee

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
texas
Thanks! Unfortunately on looking further it seems my hopes have been dashed, had no idea iTunes Extra won't work (currently/ever?) with Apple TV 2 or 3. That's a shame as I was looking to ditch my Bluray player :(

Maybe the new iTunes might kick something off, not holding out much hope though.

oh yea, they dont work on those two. what a down-er uh.
but since u'll be getting the bluray, why not just grab the ones with the codes (hd ones) and u'll have both[those that have itunes extra, would have the extras when u redeem with the codes]. or all three(im assuming it's with the dvd too)

cuestakid

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2006
San Fran

thats truly unfortunate-but thanks for the note. I would have tried and probably gotten frustrated with it.

SimpleLove

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2012
I buy blu-rays and iTunes movies with the extras all the time.

The extras on the iTunes movies are def watered down. 1st off, there's no commentaries... :(

I usually do what the user above said. Buy the blu-ray combo pack and have both.
It used to be that the digital copy that came with the blu-ray would just be the standard movie by itself with no features, but lately for me, the last couple of blu-rays I bought let me download the HD digital copy (that comes with a standard copy) AND the iTunes extras. Sweet deal if you ask me.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
I buy blu-rays and iTunes movies with the extras all the time.

The extras on the iTunes movies are def watered down. 1st off, there's no commentaries... :(
Depends on the movie. For example Prometheus has a commentary (but the implementation is really stupid: it's a complete 1.2GB copy of the film with just a different audio track :rolleyes:).

But I agree that they really need to implement playback of the iTunes extras on iOS devices.

SimpleLove

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2012
Depends on the movie. For example Prometheus has a commentary (but the implementation is really stupid: it's a complete 1.2GB copy of the film with just a different audio track :rolleyes:).

But I agree that they really need to implement playback of the iTunes extras on iOS devices.

Oh cool. Didn't know that. Been meaning to buy that movie. Great film!

But yeah...that is crazy they would implement it like that... :confused:

elee

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2012
I finally bought my first blu ray disc Jurassic Park, with a very cheap blu ray drive that works with Mac so that I can watch them. The reason was because that at the same price blu ray had the all new behind the scene documentary that iTunes extra didn't have. (It turned out that blu ray had code for iTunes HD + extra donwload, so much better deal to buy BD anyway)

Nowadays if I want to buy a movie it is mostly for those extra feature contents, because the movie itself I could alway netflix discs or streams, and it's a shame that iTunes extras are generally lesser version of blu ray features.

But then there is Avatar that they say iTunes extra comes with an exclusive contents, and again on Amazon there are about 5 different Avatar blu rays (from 2 to 6 disc edition), and I realize that the movie studios just try to make the market as confusing as possible and make the fans buy the same movies again and again.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
You don't know the half of it. I mean, you've only considered one retailer in one country. Or it may interest you that some extras are internet-based and can expire.

If you are buying blurays (or DVDs), you need to shop carefully for what you want.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
It really depends on the movie - for example nearly all new Steven Spielberg releases have the same extras that the priciest BluRay would have.

The Hobbit did a good job of containing 95 percent of what the BR had.

Generally you will miss out on audio commentaries. iTunes Extras is getting better, but not quite there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.