Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Oct 17, 2012, 05:20 PM   #1
jeannoth
macrumors newbie

Recovering Corrupted .MOV

I made a very important movie with Photo Booth today and the program accidentally crashed.
All I have left now is a corrupted .mov file that isn't playable.

I tried iMovie, VLC, Quicktime, Remo-Repair, Final Cut Pro and tried uploading it to youtube/vimeo. The only thing that worked was Treasured but they ask a $70 fee to repair a 10 minute movie.

Is there someone who is willing to help me to recover it please?
( sorry if this is the wrong part of macrumors to post it in )

Last edited by jeannoth; Oct 18, 2012 at 06:53 AM.
jeannoth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2012, 07:36 AM   #2
jeannoth
macrumors newbie

Bump
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:35 AM   #3
daybreak
macrumors 6502a

Have you checked your TIME MACHINE?
daybreak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2012, 12:54 PM   #4
floh
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by daybreak View Post
Have you checked your TIME MACHINE?
That won't be much use if the video got corrupted while the programm crashed. Time machine wouldn't have any chance to make a backup...

To the OP: I could give it a shot. Considering it's PhotoBooth, the file won't be too huge. I'll probably PM you about an exchange place.
floh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2012, 03:44 PM   #5
floh
macrumors 6502

Sorry. I took a look at your file, and there is hardly anything you can do.

Video containers (in this case the .mov file) contain the video and audio codec and then a lot of extra information on the used codecs, resolution, bitrates, framerates and so on. Most of this metadata (in the case of h.264, it is called "moov atom" if you want to google for it) has not been written into the file in the end, since your software crashed.

In some cases, such data can be recovered if you have a reference file from the same camera. Some tools can then just copy the needed moov atom to the corrupt file. But in the case of the iSight camera, the framerate, bitrate and stream information is not fixed but differs greatly from file to file, and I wasn't able to get any useful results.

You can send the file to the online ressource you mentioned and they probably will be able to repair it for $70. But they will have to (and that's why it's so expensive) manually analyze the chunk of data and create a moov atom from scratch. This takes time and years of experience.

Sorry, but I don't think there will be a way around this.
floh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 02:59 AM   #6
jeannoth
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by floh View Post
Sorry. I took a look at your file, and there is hardly anything you can do.

Video containers (in this case the .mov file) contain the video and audio codec and then a lot of extra information on the used codecs, resolution, bitrates, framerates and so on. Most of this metadata (in the case of h.264, it is called "moov atom" if you want to google for it) has not been written into the file in the end, since your software crashed.

In some cases, such data can be recovered if you have a reference file from the same camera. Some tools can then just copy the needed moov atom to the corrupt file. But in the case of the iSight camera, the framerate, bitrate and stream information is not fixed but differs greatly from file to file, and I wasn't able to get any useful results.

You can send the file to the online ressource you mentioned and they probably will be able to repair it for $70. But they will have to (and that's why it's so expensive) manually analyze the chunk of data and create a moov atom from scratch. This takes time and years of experience.

Sorry, but I don't think there will be a way around this.

I guess I have no other option then. Thanks a lot for trying though
Old Dec 4, 2012, 04:53 AM   #7
elbert12
macrumors newbie

Hi jeannoth,
Try mov repair tool to repair your corrupt .mov file. Few days before I facing the same problem like you, to overcome it I used mov repair tool. It is the finest software to repair mov quicktime. To use this tool click here.
elbert12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:23 AM   #8
AeroQTech
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannoth View Post
I guess I have no other option then. Thanks a lot for trying though
Hi jeannoth,

When a Photo Booth recording is interrupted before completion (for a number of reasons, like battery failure or lack of disk space), the resulting file is unplayable. In most cases, you can recover the movie following a few easy steps:
  • Find the damaged file in the ~/Pictures/Photo Booth folder. This is usually the most recent file, and the one that you cannot open
  • Check the size of the file to evaluate the duration of the recorded clip: Sometimes Photo Booth crashes or stops recording well before you notice it, and the damaged movie file contains only the first seconds or minutes of the "show"
For further details take a look at How to repair a corrupt Photo Booth movie

Besides of all already said in this thread you could try also try to diagnose the file using MP4repair.org. Is free and is worth to try.

--Javier
AeroQTech is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video