Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Had the same problem and returned it for a new one.

Don't expect to see the same 'blue' you saw in the 4 or 4s . If you check iphones in an Apple store you'll see they have a slight yellow to them.

MidMan

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2012
Had the same problem and returned it for a new one.

Don't expect to see the same 'blue' you saw in the 4 or 4s . If you check iphones in an Apple store you'll see they have a slight yellow to them.

"Slight yellow" is normal. "The same blue you saw in the 4/4s" is not normal. Period.

Brettka7

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2011
My 4 started out very yellow and my 5 started out very yellow, but after 2 weeks they became normal. My 3G on the other hand was Y E L L O W, and my friend's 3GS was very red.

charlesdayton

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011
:D:D:D:D:D ¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡ C o l o r g a t e !!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

How about OCDgate

Seriously, since the original iPhone Apple has used different manufacturers for the display. Regardless of manufacturing month, I have seen both yellowish and bluish screens.

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 128

k3roro

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2010
Mine is like the one on the right, it's absolutely disgusting.

But if you take it to the Apple store, the genius will just tell you it's a fact of life and it is within Apple manufacturing standards.

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
Mine is like the one on the right, it's absolutely disgusting.

But if you take it to the Apple store, the genius will just tell you it's a fact of life and it is within Apple manufacturing standards.

I hate how inconsistant Apple store visits are. I took my iPhone 4s to the Apple store because of a yellow tint on my screen and the genius exchanged it for a brand new one on the spot. However, you have the same issue and you are told it's within standards.

Jinzen

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
I compared the display of my iPhone 5 with another family member's. Both are at the same brightness. My iPhone (on the right side of the attached image) has a warmer display, with a very slight yellow tint. The iPhone on the left has a slightly cooler (and seemingly better) display. When I use my iPhone 5 normally, the warmer tone of the display is not very apparent... but as you can see in the image, there's a clear difference when I put the two iPhones side-by-side.

Anyway, just wanted to get some input. Individual preferences aside, am I correct in thinking that the warmer display is not as good/high quality as the cooler, more natural looking display? Some seem to think the warmer display on the iPhone 5 is normal and helps improve color saturation... not sure if that has any merit or not.

Actually, you have a functional display while the phone on the left is defective.

I've been through nearly a dozen iPhone 5s and half of them had the rainbow display pattern to the left. You can see that the menu is a mix of RED and GREEN, while yours has a warmer color temperature, it is EVEN across the display.

Consider yourself one lucky SOB.

Jinzen

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
The screen white balance is ok. What causes yellowing tint is uneven backlight from the top right corner (probably from the twisted LED). You can clearly see this portion of the screen is affected the most, while bottom left side remains practically yellow-free. The screen itself looks much better calibrataed than the one on the left side. Anyways I would exchange it due to uneveness of backlight. None of these screens are 100% free of backlight issues. Here's why:

It's actually very hard and rare to find 100% perfect screen in iDevice.

You're correct, but the problem is that perfectly even backlighting is impossible on a mobile device, and pretty much can only be achieved on a desktop LCD that can push brightness through the roof (and then calibrate from there to the lowest brightness point on the display or very nice uniform display).

Macbook Pros can't, for example, match the the display uniformity of a 27" iMac.

Lagom.nl and check contrast ratio - easy to see that every single iPhone, iPad, Macbook etc has uneven backlighting.

Hieu

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2009
My first iPhone 5 had that problem. When I opened it at AT&T, I noticed the yellow tint right away.I compared to the phones at the Apple Store and each one had a cooler display. I got a genius appt and the employee exchanged it right away. The new iPhone he gave me had a much better display. There was no longer a yellow tint.

enophi1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2008
UK
Here are my two models side by side , Excuse the over saturated images, and the lines. I was forced to use my old 4s

Week 39 Black (64GB) - left

Week 36 Black (64GB) - right this one is being returned to Apple, so I have to choose between the two and this one is scuffed :(

Both are at 100% full brightness. They both look very different under natural light. It's difficult to get the images to show how they really look. They show a pinkish tint using the 4s camera, but don't show this with the naked eye.

Attachments

• Iphone1.png
    Iphone1.png
    863.4 KB · Views: 189
  • Iphone2.png
    Iphone2.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 132
  • Iphone3.png
    Iphone3.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 127

Doggman

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2012
I have had a perfect iPhone 4 and when I got a replacement (I dropped it) it had a yellow tint screen. I said screw it because I knew I would be getting an iPhone 5 soon but the yellow tint has actually gone away over time. It now looks identical to my friends iPhone 4S that I originally compared it to when I got it months ago. Either way if the yellow doesn't bother you, then keep it. If it does, send it back!

Fanboi4life

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
Here are my two models side by side , Excuse the over saturated images, and the lines. I was forced to use my old 4s

Week 39 Black (64GB) - left

Week 36 Black (64GB) - right this one is being returned to Apple, so I have to choose between the two and this one is scuffed :(

Both are at 100% full brightness. They both look very different under natural light. It's difficult to get the images to show how they really look. They show a pinkish tint using the 4s camera, but don't show this with the naked eye.

Check your Facebook status' will ya. My OCD senses are tingling...

poldybloom

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2012
Actually, you have a functional display while the phone on the left is defective.

I've been through nearly a dozen iPhone 5s and half of them had the rainbow display pattern to the left. You can see that the menu is a mix of RED and GREEN, while yours has a warmer color temperature, it is EVEN across the display.

Consider yourself one lucky SOB.

Saw your post and immediately recognized my issue.

I think I got one of those "rainbow displays" you mention.

You can see a picture here:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/20359642#20359642

Do you know if Apple will replace an iPhone with this problem?

Thanks!!!

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Each supplier producing similar YET not equal screens. Apple has not allowed for any variants in production from each company and as a result we are seeing different color screens.

Jinzen

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
Saw your post and immediately recognized my issue.

I think I got one of those "rainbow displays" you mention.

You can see a picture here:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/20359642#20359642

Do you know if Apple will replace an iPhone with this problem?

Thanks!!!

Try for one with a Genius Bar appointment and make sure you find a display phone without the issue to point out first. They will replace it if you're nice but firmly express your concern.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.