Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baronbuzby

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2006
Maidenhead, UK
BusyCal 2 is now released, and guess what guys, if you've been a loyal BusyCal user, you pay the SAME price for the UPGRADE as a NEW user.

This is scandalous.

Upgrade to Mountain Lion was cheaper.

Why not a proper upgrade price BusyCal???

jax72

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2012
I agree with you.

Do you know what happened to the 2 purchasing options, though?

Is it only available on the App Store, now?

jax72

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2012
bummer... the website purchase was for 2 or 3 computers, so my wife could also use one.

jax72

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2012
True.
But different people have different IDs.

Unless Busycal has amazing new features, I don't think we'll upgrade to 2.0.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Seriously?

Have any of the commenters here ever produced software for a living?

Or do you know the time and expertise it takes to make quality offerings?

Also, it's not a fair comparison between any software and OS X. Apple likely sells those at a loss in order to entice people to buy the high margin Macs.

r3m1

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2012
Earth

Also, it's not a fair comparison between any software and OS X. Apple likely sells those at a loss in order to entice people to buy the high margin Macs.

Irrelevant - if you price yourself outside the market, the game is over - it doesnt matter how much time and expertise it takes to produce software. Its the market that ultimately decides.

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind

Yes I do - not as a coder, but as a program manager on software development efforts for over 15 years. Indeed, producing quality s/w costs money, and I'm not saying they should price it at $4.99, but I consider it a slap in the face when long-time users (upgraders using the previously current version) have to pay the same price as new purchasers to get the new version.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Psh

Yes I do - not as a coder, but as a program manager on software development efforts for over 15 years. Indeed, producing quality s/w costs money, and I'm not saying they should price it at $4.99, but I consider it a slap in the face when long-time users (upgraders using the previously current version) have to pay the same price as new purchasers to get the new version.

Our entire outlook on what it takes to create digital goods has long been flawed because we've settled on crappy, free software and pirated the good stuff.

----------

Now this I can get behind. I also agree that some sort of consideration should be paid to long-time users.

When Things relaunched as Things 2, they gave it away for free to existing customers. Smart.

moosecat

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
As a regular BusyCal user, I was also shocked and disappointed at the lack of a discounted upgrade path. And frankly, it doesn't look like enough of an overhaul for me to feel the need to upgrade at anything other than a nominal price. (Indeed, it seems as though it has LOST some syncing functionality, based on the upgrade notes.)

chatoyer

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2006
Te Wai Pounamu, New Zealand
I'd be happy to shell out $30 for it, but the new version removes Google Calendar sync, which I rely on extensively.

So, until they add that in, I'll stick with the previous version and/or go back to iCal/Calendar.

chatoyer

radicalcentrist

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2008
Portland, OR
Doesn't it just remove the sync for calendars on your mac that you're publishing to Google?

You can still host the calendar on Google and then subscribe to it.

I'd be happy to shell out $30 for it, but the new version removes Google Calendar sync, which I rely on extensively.

So, until they add that in, I'll stick with the previous version and/or go back to iCal/Calendar.

chatoyer

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
BusyCal 2 is now released, and guess what guys, if you've been a loyal BusyCal user, you pay the SAME price for the UPGRADE as a NEW user.

This is scandalous.

Upgrade to Mountain Lion was cheaper.

Why not a proper upgrade price BusyCal???

Even worse is that the $29.99 price is a special discount price only available until Dec. 31st. After that, unless they change their minds, current users will have to pay even more to upgrade.

Last edited:

2stepbay

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2009
Hawaii Island, Hawaii
Tone Deaf?

I wrote:

Glad to see the next version of BusyCal make its debut. However, I find the "upgrade" price unfair. Making the price for BusyCal2 the same for a long time user versus new users makes no sense at all. As a "thank you" to those who have used BusyCal, seems $14.99 would be a more fair price.

From Customer Support at BusyCal:

BusyCal 2 is available exclusively on the Mac App Store.

The Mac App Store doesn't allow us to charge different prices for new or existing customers so we are offering upgrade pricing of $29.99 for all users, new and old.

You can download a 30-day trial here:
http://www.busymac.com/download/BusyCal.zip

And you can purchase here:
http://www.busymac.com/buy

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
I wrote:

Glad to see the next version of BusyCal make its debut. However, I find the "upgrade" price unfair. Making the price for BusyCal2 the same for a long time user versus new users makes no sense at all. As a "thank you" to those who have used BusyCal, seems $14.99 would be a more fair price.

From Customer Support at BusyCal:

BusyCal 2 is available exclusively on the Mac App Store.

The Mac App Store doesn't allow us to charge different prices for new or existing customers so we are offering upgrade pricing of $29.99 for all users, new and old.

You can download a 30-day trial here:
http://www.busymac.com/download/BusyCal.zip

And you can purchase here:
http://www.busymac.com/buy

Yep....I got the same "canned" response. Guess I'll be using Calendar from here on out, or sticking to V1.6 - haven't decided yet. Now that they've gone "App Store" we won't even be seeing BusyCal in a bundle deal any more.

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
The snooze function offers no additional functionality over Calendar other than being able to adjust the default snooze in the application preferences.

Pre-ML we were able to adjust the snooze at the notification level. Without this, the advantages of Busycal are dwindling. Repeating events - I think that is the other reason I have it. £21? After less than a year with Busycal? Hard to justify.

Interesting to see how the App Store develops to deal with situations like this. Can't be long before we see Apple release paid updates to some of its titles. Perhaps then we will get an upgrade path?

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
Just discovered the smart filters in v2 - they could be really useful if you often want to view different sets of data in different ways. Easy to set up too.

I've emailed them about the per-notification snooze time option. If they don't get this working in ML it would be a real shame. I assume there are technical hurdles with notification centre, otherwise it would just work the way it did before ML (whereby you could snooze an alert and optionally adjust the snooze time for that individual alert).

Perhaps the dialogues that the notification centre API uses aren't set up for that sort of input?

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
Interesting to see how the App Store develops to deal with situations like this. Can't be long before we see Apple release paid updates to some of its titles. Perhaps then we will get an upgrade path?

I'm not going to hold my breath. I don't think we'll get an upgrade path, but I'll be pleasantly surprised if we do.

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
The reduced functionality and "upgrade" price are the consequences of going MAS. It's really a shame. I finally had a chance this morning to read over the changes in BC2. I was hoping for improvements, an upgrade. My credit card was ready to fork out, but I don't see this as an improvement at all. Publishing calendars was one of the main draws for me - without that I might as well use Calendar.

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
Update via email from BusyMac on custom snooze time:

"As you've noticed, Apple's Notification Center is not very flexible with snoozes. We may consider bringing back our own alarm window with custom snooze capability if enough people hate the new Notification Center integration. I'll add your vote to that camp."

Shame that ML Notification Centre is so limited. No point in snooze if I can't decide there and then when I want to postpone the notification to. Hope Apple make this possible and in the meantime perhaps BusyMac will bring back the functionality via their own notifications.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.