Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

R.Young

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2012
Just wanted to let everyone know that asked, that moving from the GoFlex portable to the Desk version seems to have got rid of my disconnection problems with my SanDisk Extreme 480GB SSD.

The portable GoFlex gave me a total headache and I think actually fried my first Sandisk 480. I was able to RMA it had a replacement SSD about a week later. After plugging in the replacement, I realised quickly that it was probably going to happen again after a few disconnects whilst transfering files. Luckily a format sorted Bad Sectors found by disk utility on my second SSD, and I stopped using the Portable and returned it for the Desk version.

So far the Desk has not ejected or disconnected or returned any errors whilst transferring files of any size, or using CCC to clone 320GB of data from my current iMac HDD.

For reference, I'm using a 27" 2011 iMac with the Apple Thunderbolt cable, SanDisk 480GB Extreme SSD and the GoFlex Desk.

Fingers crossed I will not run into issues, I've been using it for about 6 hours so far with 0 issues. If it does still prove to be unreliable with the Desk adapter, I will post back here. But the powered Desk adapter seems to be the answer for anyone having issues with larger SSDs disconnecting during use.

ri0ku

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
Just a question guys, im confused about this boot camp problem. Im thinking about getting the goflex adapter and an M4 SSD. I need windows though its vital for work.

Could I use the Thunderbolt drive for Mountain lion and then could I install windows through bootcamp on the internal iMac HDD ? and then would i not have any issues booting windows?

Chippy99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Just a question guys, im confused about this boot camp problem. Im thinking about getting the goflex adapter and an M4 SSD. I need windows though its vital for work.

Could I use the Thunderbolt drive for Mountain lion and then could I install windows through bootcamp on the internal iMac HDD ? and then would i not have any issues booting windows?

Yes that will work.

Nickodemus64

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
Seagate Thunderbolt STAE122. Awesome!!

I have a 2011 MAC mini :apple:.

After i purchased the Mini first thing i did was upgrade the Memory to 8GB.
Next i purchased a OCZ Agility 3 120GB, nice drive little slow for an SSD. OS X is running on the SSD and the data on the original 500GB HDD.

I have been looking at Thunderbolt for a long time and finally the price was right. I purchased the STBC3000102 that's the STAE122 and a 3TB HDD together. Shortly after i got a new Vertex 4 128GB SSD and install it in the mac. Before doing so I bench it on the STAE122 450+ Write and 550+ Read.
Wow my agility 3 was only getting 150-160 Write and 170-180 Read.
After installing I bench the Vertex 4 again same speeds.

I install the Vertex 4 into my MAC and started getting errors. I did a clean install and it was fine until i try to move the data. I bench the 3TB HDD and was amazed that I got 140+ Read and 160+ Write from a HDD on the Thunderbolt adapter. Well I did a test and move the data to a partition on the new 3TB HDD and have had no errors since. I am guessing the old HDD in the mac is too slow to work with the fast SSD.

I am so impressed with the thunderbolt adapter i purchased another STAE122 so I can swap drives on it.

I use a Seagate 500GB SATA 2 drive for backup with Carbon Copy Cloner.

I also run a second monitor from the Thunderbolt ports with no issues.

And for you PC users Thunderbolt has been released on some of the new MB so this adapter will be compatible with your PC as well.

chriztrax

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2011
Just wanted to let everyone know that asked, that moving from the GoFlex portable to the Desk version seems to have got rid of my disconnection problems with my SanDisk Extreme 480GB SSD.

The portable GoFlex gave me a total headache and I think actually fried my first Sandisk 480. I was able to RMA it had a replacement SSD about a week later. After plugging in the replacement, I realised quickly that it was probably going to happen again after a few disconnects whilst transfering files. Luckily a format sorted Bad Sectors found by disk utility on my second SSD, and I stopped using the Portable and returned it for the Desk version.

So far the Desk has not ejected or disconnected or returned any errors whilst transferring files of any size, or using CCC to clone 320GB of data from my current iMac HDD.

For reference, I'm using a 27" 2011 iMac with the Apple Thunderbolt cable, SanDisk 480GB Extreme SSD and the GoFlex Desk.

Fingers crossed I will not run into issues, I've been using it for about 6 hours so far with 0 issues. If it does still prove to be unreliable with the Desk adapter, I will post back here. But the powered Desk adapter seems to be the answer for anyone having issues with larger SSDs disconnecting during use.

I had the same problem and even lost all my files when my SSD disconnected. I was using a Sandisk 480gb. I read some people are using the El Gato thunderbolt cable instead of the Apple one and it works. I'm going to give it a try. Fingers crossed as well.

connorpb7

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2012
Thought I would share my results so far for more feedback. I am using an OCZ vertex 4 with the adaptor and getting great stability so far. Speeds are pretty good too.

Attachments

• DiskSpeedTest.png
    DiskSpeedTest.png
    363.5 KB · Views: 150

Canuck42

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2010
What is the most reliable SSD

I plan on getting 2 GoFlex adapters(desktop Version) as they are not bus powered. One adapter will have a 128 GB ssd for OS and apps and the other ssd 256 GB for files. What would be the most reliable ssd drives fot the setup I have have mentioned? The 128GB drive using the GoFlex will be my boot drive.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
I plan on getting 2 GoFlex adapters(desktop Version) as they are not bus powered. One adapter will have a 128 GB ssd for OS and apps and the other ssd 256 GB for files. What would be the most reliable ssd drives fot the setup I have have mentioned? The 128GB drive using the GoFlex will be my boot drive.

intel

samsung

or crucial

Consider getting a 240gb or a 256gb from one of them on a sale.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
Holy ...!

Elgato TB-cable 50 cm - ≈ 60 US$ (Price per meter: 120 US$)
Belkin TB-cable 100 cm - ≈ 45 US$ (Price per meter: 45 US$)
Apple TB-cable 200 cm - ≈ 50 US$ (Price per meter: 25 US$)

yeah but the wire is less important then the two chips at the ends and the elgatgo chips are a newer gen then the apple chips. I have used apple elgato and star tech (same as belkin ) the apple cables had the most problems.

btw the new lacie usb3/t-bolt rugged drive comes with a usb3 cable and a t-bolt cable. the 256gb ssd version lists for 349 which is not that pricey.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/LaCie-Rugged-Thunderbolt-USB-3.0-storage-SSD,17881.html

if you really need an iMac a refurbished quad core with this item would not be so bad.

qwik3r

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2008
I may pick up the desktop version of this thing since I've been reading about all of the issues regarding the larger capacity SSD's with the portable go flex, with that being said, can I use any standard 2.5'' to 3.5'' external enclosure so that it fits the desktop adapter rather than having this small SSD dangling on the connector?

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
I may pick up the desktop version of this thing since I've been reading about all of the issues regarding the larger capacity SSD's with the portable go flex, with that being said, can I use any standard 2.5'' to 3.5'' external enclosure so that it fits the desktop adapter rather than having this small SSD dangling on the connector?

some work some don't. as long as the 3.5 adapter places the connector at the same point as a standard 3.5 inch hdd. for instance this works

http://www.icydock.com/goods.php?id=117

this does not work
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817996040

qwik3r

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2008

connorpb7

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2012
Originally Posted By Canuck42
What is the firmware? Did you have to upgrade it?

Not sure on the firmware, I just popped it in the adapter and then formatted it using disk utility and its been great ever since.

Canuck42

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2010
Vertex 4

Received the Vertex 4 which already had the latest firmware (1.5), the GoFlex desktop adapter and the apple TB cable. I have the vertex in an Icy Dock MB882SP-1S-1B enclosure. I enabled Trimm. I have been booting from the Vertex for the last two days without any problems.

Apple SSD W184 R215
Vertex 4 W359 R368

fgullama

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2011
I had the same problem and even lost all my files when my SSD disconnected. I was using a Sandisk 480gb. I read some people are using the El Gato thunderbolt cable instead of the Apple one and it works. I'm going to give it a try. Fingers crossed as well.

I started having disconnect issues on my 27 iMac, STAE121, 240gb Corsair Force GT SSD, and the Apple Thunderbolt cable. I changed over to the Elgato Thunderbolt cable some months ago and can report that stability is at 100%. No disconnects.

Also, I recently upgraded to a 480gb OCZ Agility 3 SSD using this same setup (well, it's sort of a downgrade speed wise, but it was cheap, has tons of space, and is still plenty fast for me! - 250MB reads and writes). Rock solid... I almost thought I would have to go with the desktop Seagate adapter or research some other solution to solve my stability issues when they occurred a while back, but I'm happy to report that the Elgato cable and its electronics have resolved any issues I had previously.

I hope this helps some of you with your decisions. I've been keeping an eye on this forum since I got the STAE121/SSD combo and have found everybody to be very friendly and helpful. If you have a Mac Mini or an iMac without a SSD, this is one sweet upgrade!

Frank

fgullama

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2011
Disconnects... STAE121, Elgato cable, and 480GB OCZ Vertex

I started having disconnect issues on my 27 iMac, STAE121, 240gb Corsair Force GT SSD, and the Apple Thunderbolt cable. I changed over to the Elgato Thunderbolt cable some months ago and can report that stability is at 100%. No disconnects.

Also, I recently upgraded to a 480gb OCZ Agility 3 SSD using this same setup (well, it's sort of a downgrade speed wise, but it was cheap, has tons of space, and is still plenty fast for me! - 250MB reads and writes). Rock solid... I almost thought I would have to go with the desktop Seagate adapter or research some other solution to solve my stability issues when they occurred a while back, but I'm happy to report that the Elgato cable and its electronics have resolved any issues I had previously.

I hope this helps some of you with your decisions. I've been keeping an eye on this forum since I got the STAE121/SSD combo and have found everybody to be very friendly and helpful. If you have a Mac Mini or an iMac without a SSD, this is one sweet upgrade!

Frank

I hate to have to reply to my own post with bad news but... Looks like I am getting disconnects with the 480GB OCZ Vertex 3, Elgato cable, and STAE121. :(

I guess I'm going to look into getting an STAE122. Not terrible I suppose. I can probably throw the STAE121 at the end of the Thunderbolt chain and use both the 240GB Corsair and the 480GB OCZ.

So close to perfect... :(

Frank

meduk1

macrumors member
May 30, 2008
Thinking of getting one of these for booting from my mac mini.

Do I need to get a separate caddy along with the adapter, SSD and cable? Any recommendations on one?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.