Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier today, a MacRumors reader noted that paid books had gone live in the iBookstore in New Zealand. While the titles are not yet accessible through the main Books section of the iTunes Store, searches for various others and titles are yielding a number of book results.

Blog do iPhone is also now reporting that paid books are going live in Brazil, and we've confirmed that paid titles are now available in 16 other Latin American countries as well.

ibookstore_paid_brazil.jpg
Paid iBookstore titles in Brazilian iTunes Store
The full list of new markets we've spotted so far includes Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, and Venezuela.

Evidence of new markets for paid iBookstore content comes amid rumors of an iBooks 3.0 launch alongside the "iPad mini" at tomorrow's media event. Apple is expected to make education one of the key themes of the introduction, and with the smaller iPad more closely competing with smaller tablets focused on reading, an expansion of iBookstore content seems to be a logical step.

Article Link: Paid iBookstore Content Going Live in New Zealand and 17 Latin American Countries

Rocketman

macrumors 603
For the overpriced ($329) iPad Mini! :apple::apple::apple:
There are always a couple of guys in every thread declaring this or that "overpriced". You have the right to offer an alternate product at a lower price.

Pricing is a well thought out strategy to do more than simply sell a product. It has to account for R&D, capital recovery, dealer margins, and in the case of Apple a front fee for a nearly "free" ecosystem service.

It is clearly not overpriced. It is priced. Some will be able to afford it and others will not. Too bad, so sad. However on the metric of Apple being able to barely keep up with demand at that price, one might even rightly claim it is UNDERPRICED.

Rocketman

All prices drop in real terms when mild deflation is allowed to occur. This government is fighting that as hard as it can.

DrJohnnyN

Suspended
Jan 27, 2010
There are always a couple of guys in every thread declaring this or that "overpriced". You have the right to offer an alternate product at a lower price.

Pricing is a well thought out strategy to do more than simply sell a product. It has to account for R&D, capital recovery, dealer margins, and in the case of Apple a front fee for a nearly "free" ecosystem service.

It is clearly not overpriced. It is priced. Some will be able to afford it and others will not. Too bad, so sad. However on the metric of Apple being able to barely keep up with demand at that price, one might even rightly claim it is UNDERPRICED.

Rocketman

All prices drop in real terms when mild deflation is allowed to occur. This government is fighting that as hard as it can.

Thank you.

Gehrke

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2012
Brazil??

Why are the titles in Spanish instead of Portuguese?

Well, I did not try yet to see, but I'm a little bit disappointed seeing that some people still think that we Brazilians speak Spanish instead of Portuguese...
I also do not understand why we do not have the Portuguese layout at the Apple products… but this is for other topic.
Let’s try some books and see what Apple has to offer us.

4look4rd

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2009
Well, I did not try yet to see, but I'm a little bit disappointed seeing that some people still think that we Brazilians speak Spanish instead of Portuguese...
I also do not understand why we do not have the Portuguese layout at the Apple products… but this is for other topic.
Let’s try some books and see what Apple has to offer us.

I'm Brazilian too, but I live in the USA. It's pretty shocking that a company as big as Apple would make such a horrible mistake.

Gehrke

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2012
I'm Brazilian too, but I live in the USA. It's pretty shocking that a company as big as Apple would make such a horrible mistake.

Let see... as you notice all titles are in Spanish. Hopefully it is only a misunderstanding, I do have the same opinion, If Apple has "Brazilian Portuguese" in all devices (despite the physical layout, but as I said this is another Topic) why would they tolerate such mistake.

Mike Valmike

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2012
Chandler, Arizona
However on the metric of Apple being able to barely keep up with demand at that price, one might even rightly claim it is UNDERPRICED.

Fair to say. In fact since this isn't a two-way street, I'm surprised we don't see more up-pricing. In the hobby gaming industry, where I have some business assets, it is entirely normal for stores to up-price hot new items that are on "allocation" (limited supplies in the wholesale chain). Things normalize as supply catches up to demand.

jdavtz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2005
Kenya
Re: book titles in Spanish, well maybe let's just hope that availability is becoming more global and you'll be able to buy the Portuguese, Spanish, English or any other version you'd like of the book.

It's annoying enough seeing books and music in the e.g. iTunes Spain store, but I can't (easily) buy it in the UK.

apernett

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2010
Why are the titles in Spanish instead of Portuguese?

Open your iTunes. Go to the Books section of the iTunes Store. Then at your upper right in the first box that says "Books" click in the link that says "In Portuguese". There you will jump to a huge list of books in portuguese. So far there are more than 2,500 books in portuguese.

Cheers.

cycomiko

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
about freaking time...

Its not on my bookstore yet, but hopefulyl tomorrow morning after hte announcement.

Now. where is my TV content.

autrefois

macrumors 65816

Apple has not always correctly chosen the price point, however. They dropped the price of the original iPhone two months after its launch and I really don't think that was their original plan...

iPhone launch

I wonder if this in part influenced Apple's decision to launch the original iPad at a price point lower than pretty much everyone was expecting. It will be interesting to see how it plays out with the presumed iPad mini though, partly since that can't really be considered a completely new product category for Apple...

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
no because they had really crap books....

You need to take another look, then. The iBookstore has improved significantly since its launch. There are thousands of fantastic books available, and some excellent bargains, too. (I picked up Craig Ferguson's biography for only $3.99 during a recent iBookstore sale.)

In addition, the iBookstore offers some really nice fixed-layout books, such as cookbooks and children's books.

Give the iBookstore a second chance :)

bdavidson

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2011
Can someone explain to me "paid iBookstore content". We have been able to buy books from apple for a while. I bought one for myself when iBooks came out. Maybe this is just the non us store?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.