Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68030
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal
Yeah.. that's why I said I doubted it regardless of my desire lol

Making a 15" Air would contradict the advertised and meaningful portability of the Air lol

15" Air and 15" rMBP wouldn't make much sense.

I'm still wondering why Apple has a 13" Air and (apparently) a 13" rMBP. The prices won't be significantly different from the same-equipped (SSD/RAM) models.

barakrl

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2009
Which professionals want a 13" laptop?
I do.

Working with xcode in my 15.4" mbp on the train to work is ok, but I hate carrying its 2.5kg with me every day.
I was thinking about getting a MBA (13") which runs at the same res. (1440x900), so a high-res display would be great for me.

:cool:

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
I'm a developer that currently has a 13" MBP and I typically use it with my 30" LCD connected. But I use the 13" screen when I take the laptop with me.
OK, that makes sense... I forgot about developers. Was stuck on the mental image of a photographer who has no problem cramming a van full of lights and tripods and then when it comes to the laptop he simply must save a few ounces.

The 15" rMBP is lighter than the current 13" MBP and only about an inch wider, so...

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I'm still wondering why Apple has a 13" Air and (apparently) a 13" rMBP. The prices won't be significantly different from the same-equipped (SSD/RAM) models.
If the 13" rMBP doesn't have a dGPU, then the only differences will be the Retina screen, max RAM capacity (16 GB vs. 8) and a little bit of CPU speed (2.0 GHz vs. 2.9 GHz). Pretty disappointing, I know...

It would make more sense than 13" Air and 13" rMBP. First of all, the 15" Air would cost a lot less (presumably) and it would lack a dGPU, making it a good choice for people who want a 13" Air except with a bigger screen.

----------

The 15" rMBP is lighter than the current 13" MBP and only about an inch wider, so...
But it's also much more expensive. I didn't choose this 13" MBP, I just ended up receiving it. If I were to buy a MBP myself it'd be a 15" rMBP, but it's costly so I'm waiting for next year's model (this 13" MBP will carry me over til then).

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
I do.

Working with xcode in my 15.4" mbp on the train to work is ok, but I hate carrying its 2.5kg with me every day.
I was thinking about getting a MBA (13") which runs at the same res. (1440x900), so a high-res display would be great for me.

:cool:
:) Oh well, everything's relative... I have the 3 kg MBP 17", which replaced a thick 3.5 kg Dell laptop. The first few days I kept thinking that the MBP must've fallen out of the bag...

GrandPhrase

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012

Even though there seems to be a small difference in price when you configure both equally, the Air still will be lighter and thinner (no matter by how much)

I guess they have to keep the 13" rMBP for now for those who want the retina in a 13" now and the 13" Air for the most possible portability

And once retina can fit in the Airs, the gap will slowly close

And with that said, my personal prediction is that '10 years from now' there will be 3 notebooks(just called Macbooks? Lol) - 11,13,15 - they will probably be as thin as the current Air while packing the power of the Pros

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
Which professionals want a 13" laptop? Stamp collectors who like to look at pictures of stamps in 1:1 scale, one at a time? If you work in video, graphic design or audio/music these dinky screen sizes are useless.

This one:
louisck5.jpg

Emmy award winning director/writer/editor/actor/Ricky Gervais' favroite comedian Louis CK. He writes/directs/edits/stars in the show Louie on FX.

He edits the show on a 13" MacBook Pro. Hear him talk about it here: http://gizmodo.com/5658621/how-louis-ck-shoots-and-edits-his-own-show

He specifically talks about choosing the 13" Notebook over the 15" and 17" based on editing the show on an intimate sized screen.

There is a professional who would want a 13" professional machine.
3pc4f4.jpg

Winter Charm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2008
This one:

Emmy award winning director/writer/editor/actor/Ricky Gervais' favroite comedian Louis CK. He writes/directs/edits/stars in the show Louie on FX.

He edits the show on a 13" MacBook Pro. Hear him talk about it here: http://gizmodo.com/5658621/how-louis-ck-shoots-and-edits-his-own-show

He specifically talks about choosing the 13" Notebook over the 15" and 17" based on editing the show on an intimate sized screen.

There is a professional who would want a 13" professional machine.

Professional here. I, too, would love a 13" model that has the graphical oomph to handle rendering, fluid simulations, and data processing in the lab. the 15" pro is a bit big for the amount of space I have in the lab...

S3R6i0

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2011
.... Why would you hate having a discrete GPU?

----------

I keep seeing this mentioned, but I've never seen a source of any such rumors. Do you have a link?

The word discrete gave me the idea that it was an integrated GPU. Stupid me. My mistake. I meant I'd rather have a dedicated graphics chip, is what I meant.

Ericstephen

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2013
You have to think these are staged leaks, especially with that ridiculous carpet to throw people off. How many people total would have access to this computer and get one in their living room? I'm always surprised with these leaked pictures that are snapped while outside the factories.

OMGwtfBBQwings

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2011
You have to think these are staged leaks, especially with that ridiculous carpet to throw people off. How many people total would have access to this computer and get one in their living room? I'm always surprised with these leaked pictures that are snapped while outside the factories.

this guy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.