Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does your iPhone 5 have light leak problem??

• YES

Votes: 15 20.0%
  • NO

Votes: 60 80.0%

• Total voters

iWeldonJ

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2010
iphone white leak

I bought my iPhone 16gig on launch day and I did notice the light leak at night when i would use my iPhone at night in my dark room. Really distracting, so I took it in and they replaced it.

The new iPhone still has a light leak, it's much less noticable though and you have to look for it. I haven't noticed it, but if I look for it I will find it. I doubt it'll get better, and I'm happy with the iPhone so I don't see myself taking it back for that.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
It's not a leak, it's from the light vent. The new LED screen produces such a high quality image, that in the process extra lumens are produced, and hence trapped in the structural substrate of the screen. The only solution was to create an escape path, or vent if you will, for them to escape. It's normal.

Last edited:

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
It's not a leak, it's from the light vent. The new LED screen produces such a high quality image, that in the process extra lumens are produced, and hence trapped in the structural substrate of the screen. The only solution was to create an escape path, or ven tif you will, for them to escape. It's normal.

........You sir get the bs prize of the day.

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
The issues that presented themselves were addressed. Now they are just ignored.

Yeah because slapping a case on a phone with a barely functional antenna and telling you you're holding it wrong is totally addressing it. This QC fiasco is nothing compared to Antennagate.

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
Yeah because slapping a case on a phone with a barely functional antenna and telling you you're holding it wrong is totally addressing it. This QC fiasco is nothing compared to Antennagate.

I'm going to have to disagree. They fixed antennagate. The whole QC thing can't be fixed. They have simply said that with time the cases will get all scratched up. Time apparently being a couple days according to some people on this forum.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
I'm going to have to disagree. They fixed antennagate. The whole QC thing can't be fixed. They have simply said that with time the cases will get all scratched up. Time apparently being a couple days according to some people on this forum.

Time being from the time it takes factory worker to install a screen.

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010

Negative. All iPhone 4's on AT&T had this issue and continued having it after Apple's proposed solution. Adding a case doesn't make the antenna less defective.

And how can't QC be fixed exactly? Apple just imposed stricter guidelines for improved QC and it's already showing. iPhones week 39+ have been way better if not perfect.

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
Negative. All iPhone 4's on AT&T had this issue and continued having it after Apple's proposed solution. Adding a case doesn't make the antenna less defective.

And how can't QC be fixed exactly? Apple just imposed stricter guidelines for improved QC and it's already showing. iPhones week 39+ have been way better if not perfect.

They fixed it by first releasing the new design iPhone 4, which initially was only for verizon, but later was re-released for ATT. This effectively fixed the issue with holding the phone "wrong". The 4s further fixed the issue. There will always be complaints about Apple's QC so this issue will never be resolved. They have simply swept all the QC issues under the rug by saying that it's completley normal for your phone to have X wrong with it from the beginning. Actually come to think of it I don't really see there being a real answer to any of these issue. People will always complain about QC as well as signal strength. I must say however, I have never put my phone in a case and have never had a dropped call and I hold my phone the "wrong" way.

Last edited:

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
They fixed it by first releasing the new design iPhone 4, which initially was only for verizon, but later was re-released for ATT. This effectively fixed the issue with holding the phone "wrong". The 4s further fixed the issue. There will always be complaints about Apple's QC so this issue will never be resolved. They have simply swept all the QC issues under the rug by saying that it's completley normal for your phone to have X wrong with it from the beginning. Actually come to think of it I don't really see there being a real answer to any of these issue. People will always complain about QC as well as signal strength. I must say however, I have never put my phone in a case and have never had a dropped call and I hold my phone the "wrong" way.

Lol they "fixed" it almost a year later. It's nice that you're not experiencing any issues but it remains a fact that the antenna is pure garbage in the AT&T iPhone 4, which by the way remained garbage after Verizon iPhone 4 came out. Only the Verizon iPhone 4 has a redesigned antenna. So well after the vast majority of people wanting an iPhone 4 already bought one.

Also Apple never said it's normal to have dings and scratches out of the box. Stop making stuff up.

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
Lol they "fixed" it almost a year later. It's nice that you're not experiencing any issues but it remains a fact that the antenna is pure garbage in the AT&T iPhone 4, which by the way remained garbage after Verizon iPhone 4 came out. Only the Verizon iPhone 4 has a redesigned antenna. So well after the vast majority of people wanting an iPhone 4 already bought one.

Also Apple never said it's normal to have dings and scratches out of the box. Stop making stuff up.

They did say that aluminum will tarnish over time. Don't recall saying they said that dings and scratches out of the box.

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
They did say that aluminum will tarnish over time. Don't recall saying they said that dings and scratches out of the box.

That's not an issue of quality control, but of user negligence. You want a plastic heap, go buy a 3G. Aluminum has its downfalls.

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
That's not an issue of quality control, but of user negligence. You want a plastic heap, go buy a 3G. Aluminum has its downfalls.

I call it a case of Apple caring more about how lite their phone is then how happy their customers are going to be with their product. While it's true that people will complain regardless of what the phone is made out of, it is a bit negligent on Apple's part to make a phone out of a metal that if looked at wrong will scratch and tarnish.

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
I call it a case of Apple caring more about how lite their phone is then how happy their customers are going to be with their product. While it's true that people will complain regardless of what the phone is made out of, it is a bit negligent on Apple's part to make a phone out of a metal that if looked at wrong will scratch and tarnish.

Well come on it's not THAT bad. I've had my phone naked from day one and there's nothing on it so far. It's a bit more scratchy than previous iPhones, but it's also the most waterproof, the lightest, and the most durable. It doesn't just shatter when dropped like previous iPhones. I'll happily take a scratched-back phone over a shattered, water damaged one. Wouldn't you?

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
Well come on it's not THAT bad. I've had my phone naked from day one and there's nothing on it so far. It's a bit more scratchy than previous iPhones, but it's also the most waterproof, the lightest, and the most durable. It doesn't just shatter when dropped like previous iPhones. I'll happily take a scratched-back phone over a shattered, water damaged one. Wouldn't you?

Granted if I used my iPhone naked I would much rather have a scratched back plate over a shattered back glass piece. However, I always have my iPhone in a case so what the phone is made out of doesn't really effect me. The only thing I care about is that the screen is sealed correctly so I don't have pieces of dust appearing under my screen. Granted I think this would be a warranty issue so I would be able to get a new one. In the end cosmetic things don't realy bug me but this light leak issue is both cosmetic issue as well as a real manufacturing issue.

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
Granted if I used my iPhone naked I would much rather have a scratched back plate over a shattered back glass piece. However, I always have my iPhone in a case so what the phone is made out of doesn't really effect me. The only thing I care about is that the screen is sealed correctly so I don't have pieces of dust appearing under my screen. Granted I think this would be a warranty issue so I would be able to get a new one. In the end cosmetic things don't realy bug me but this light leak issue is both cosmetic issue as well as a real manufacturing issue.

Well they supposedly raised the QC standards recently. People with week 39+ phones have reported that they're perfect. Mostly.

They're getting there.

kellte2

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2005
Well they supposedly raised the QC standards recently. People with week 39+ phones have reported that they're perfect. Mostly.

They're getting there.

This light leak is going to be prevalent on all devices screen. It really is luck of the draw on how the phone is assembled considering the placement of backplate for the screen is likely to be the cause.

For example, my last phone with a broken power button had a gap on the top of the screen between the aluminum and the display, but no light leak. My current phone has no visible gap, but a tiny, tiny bit of light leak in a pitch black room with brightness on 100%. The solution is simple: stop looking for problems. You'll likely have a real problem soon enough.

TheDLade

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2012
Did anyone buy a white iphone 5 recently?

Does it still suffer from light leak issue?

I did, I got a week 39 white, had a wifi issue, no light leak

Got a replacement week 37, more solid build quality, no rattling and no light leak, some parts on the chamfered edges are discoloured though, but its perfect otherwise :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.