Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cjshino

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2012
I currently have an old phone which i dont care for and i recently bought ipod touch5g and an ipad 2. I want to get an iphone4 since its cheaper then the 4s and 5 and i think the 5g ipod is better than the iphone4..

skitzogreg

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2007
Arkansas
I currently have an old phone which i dont care for and i recently bought ipod touch5g and an ipad 2. I want to get an iphone4 since its cheaper then the 4s and 5 and i think the 5g ipod is better than the iphone4..

If you need to make carrier phone calls, why not? It's a fine phone.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
For me, the biggest thing to consider is how well the iPhone 4 will be supported.

Assuming Apple continues its current product lifecycle, the iPhone 4 will be discontinued in September/October 2013.

Following that, it should get one more major iOS release before it is no longer supported (the iPhone 3GS is in this phase) After that, you won't get any security or bug fixes from Apple. Apps will start to drop support for that device (iPhone 3G is in this phase).

I think it's clear that Apple is working on the basis that people sign up for a 24 month contract.

No matter which phone they buy:

Entry - iPhone 4
Middle - iPhone 4S
High - iPhone 5

Then after two years, there will be a replacement device for them to get, roughly equivalent in price and "newness" to their current device. During the contract, they'll get updates and they can download most Apps from the App Store.

If you don't want to upgrade that regularly, then you may want to consider whether the newer devices would be a better choice.

It's important to note that this "support lifecycle" is not official and not stated anywhere by Apple. Other companies have an official policy on product support, but Apple does not. As such, everything I have written is merely an indicator and they might decide to change how things are done with a future device or iOS release.

Last edited:

PantherCreek

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2011
Dallas/Ft. Worth
You would need to decide your needs vs. the phone's uses and look at the pros and cons. The thing to keep in mind is that this phone was released in June of 2010, so it's been out for a while and the change of release cycle happening in this phone's cycle doesn't help it. Apple does a good job of keeping older phones updated with the newest iOS, but only the most recent 2 phones have ever gotten all of the uses. I know people that would love getting an older 3Gs and it would satisfy al of their needs as well as people who must have/actually need the newest phone to keep up with the most recent apps. Something to think about. It really is up to how you intend to use the phone.

:edit: plus 1 to the post above mine

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
There's absolutely nothing wrong with purchasing an iPhone 4 right now, since it can carry out 80% of the features it's successors can, and does not lag to a severe extent during daily usage.

People often say how it's an outdated phone, Apple will drop support for it very soon and all that. But just because it's an outdated phone, can it not perform normal functions like web browsing, calling and texting just like any other smartphones? And just because Apple may not updated it with iOS 7, does it render the phone completely useless after 2012? Of course not. With iOS 6, I believe the iPhone 4 is still perfectly capable of catering to the needs of average users in terms of daily usage. Just because the phone is 2 years older does NOT make it a stupid decision to get one. Heck, I'm still using an iPhone 3GS, a 2009 machine, and I'm doing perfectly fine with it.

There's is no rule that says you can't buy an iPhone 4 right now. If you are short of cash at the moment, there is absolutely no harm in doing so. And do not be swayed by other people's opinion of it being lackluster or an "old" phone, because at the end of the day, it's your own hard-earned money, and you will be the one using the phone, not others.

Archer1440

Suspended
Mar 10, 2012
USA
I used my iPhone 4 with iOS 6 for a week in Japan while my iPhone 5 sat on my desk in my office.

The phone is NOT an optimal experience with iOS 6. If you do buy an iPhone 4 you should consider running it on iOS 5.x and never upgrading.

As for whether it's a wise choice or not, that depends on your needs and financial ability.

The iPhone 5 is far superior in operation.

Last edited:

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
The 4 will deliver good service for a long while and, for me, IOS 6 works fine on the 4. Mostly, the decision regarding getting a 4 is about what the OP expects out of an iPhone.

I put my 4 on Straight Talk, cutting my AT&T bill in half and getting unlimited talk, text, and sufficient data. My 4 is the same phone I bought on launch day two years ago. I considered going with a 5, but figured that I'd try saving money this time around. Part of the decision to delay was cemented by the scores of threads reporting issues with the 5. I just don't have that kind of time to fuss about a phone and make return trips to correct things.

So I decided to sit it out until perhaps a 5s or a 6 comes to market. And who knows; by that time I might still be undecided to upgrade. By around two years from now, I will have saved over a thousand dollars in phone service fee. Right now on Straight Talk, phone operation is as though I was still on AT&T, except costing half and getting more minutes, texting and data than before.

Usually, though, Apple drags all late adopters up to speed as they have in the past by creating a sea change in some aspect. Such as the change to iCloud, that required later Macs with later system software. Or changing to Intel chips from PowerPC.

Archer1440

Suspended
Mar 10, 2012
USA
The 4 will deliver good service for a long while and, for me, IOS 6 works fine on the 4.

Try scrolling a list of 500+ songs. It totally chokes on that and a lot more normal functions under iOS 6. Perfectly smooth under iOS 5.x, though. Not just my experience, I have seen three other iPhone 4's (not 4S) in my office brought to their knees after the iOS 6 upgrade.

As a very basic smartphone, it may be OK, but there are a lot of better choices at the same price (free, where ATT is concerned). On the other hand an iPhone 4 running 5.x iOS is still a great phone.

----------

T
There's is no rule that says you can't buy an iPhone 4 right now. If you are short of cash at the moment, there is absolutely no harm in doing so.

So long as you continue to run 5.x, I would agree.

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California

The way I see it is, which phone is the best VALUE? Personally, I think the 5 is worth $199 more than the 4. I think the 4S is definitely worth $99 more than the 4. The 4 has perhaps another year of Apple and app developer support - the 4S two years, the 5 three or more.

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
Why so many apple products. Seems pointless to run calculator so many times. Get something different. After using an iPod 5G, you won't be able to hold an iPhone 4 correctly for the best reception.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
I would of been happy with my iPhone 4 for for another year or 2

But during the summer it broke

So I upgraded to the 5

A jailbroken iPhone 4>>>>>

NathanA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
Considering its free now, I would says its dumb if you buy one.
It is not "free" now. You get one in exchange for signing a 2-year contract with an expensive data plan, which is far from "free."

The retail price of the iPhone 4 is still $450, and that's for the 8GB model! If you walk into an Apple store today, they will sell you a brand-new no-contract iPhone 4 out the door for that price + sales tax. You are paying that $450 (and then some, in some cases) whether you get the phone "free" or not...that same $450 is simply hidden in the cost of your service fees over the course of the 2 years that you agreed to sign your life away for.

Really, when people get "free" or subsidized phones with a long-term postpaid contract, all they are doing is financing the purchase of their phone over the course of 2 years. No one likes to think of it that way, but that's exactly what you're doing.

The iPhone 4 is still a great phone. The iPhone 4S is even better still. The MSRP of the first is $450, and $550 for the second. iPhone 5 models start at $650. Those are the actual prices, however you end up paying for it.

-- Nathan

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
I'd save extra and get the 4S.

However, if I was REALLY stuck for money... I'd still save up extra and get the 4S.

The 4 is alright, if a bit slow, but this time next year you will be kicking yourself for not spending the extra now and getting a much more capable device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.