Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sundog925

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 19, 2011
Everything I listed is restricted when not on Wifi. These are indisputable facts. I could take screenshots and post sources from official Apple documentation to support each point, but I can see the conversation would go no where.

While you may be able to convince yourself that the iPhone features you will be missing out on are not a big deal, it is a fact that you won't have them. Since you acknowledge your Wifi signal is fast enough to do everything you're doing now, there is also 0 technical benefit to not using Wifi.

However, if you prefer the psychological benefits of using LTE over these missing features, no one here will change your mind.

Have fun! :)

re-read what you typed. Im not missing out on those things you listed, or were you not paying attention? Its not psychological lol, its just common sense. I did find it funny that your trying to incite some debate when clearly there is none!

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
Data is not like a utility where if you use more, you create environmental waste and pollution. My apartment gives free Internet which I can convert with my router to wifi but it's so slow I keep wifi off and use AT&T 3G ( not even 4G or 4G LTE). I get so much less skype and VoIP Disconnects that way. Wifi is often slower than LTE. If I had LTE service and a LTE phone, I'd never turn wifi on.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Not really. It's just WHY even buy the phone to keep it on wi-fi all the time and be afraid to use it off wi-fi? Live your mobile life un-hinged.

First of all, I was addressing/quoting another user, but if you felt indicted by my comments, them I'm happy to address your concerns.

I bought my phone to be a smartphone. I use it for talking, texting, my calendar, and the occasional Internet, music, and game. I have wifi "on" all of the time b/c I almost always have access to fast wifi. The wifi browsing, is secured, reliable, and uses less battery than LTE does.

It's not a matter of being hinged or not; it's just common sense.

You remind me of stereotypical peer pressure from 60's/70's movies where people are trying to get others to "open their minds."

----------

u mad bro? maybe those 2GB will make you happy.

I share 1 GB with the wife & I'm pleases as punch. Thanks for the concern though.

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
Because it's people like you that made AT&T and VZ start throttling and killing off unlimited data in the first place. It's only a matter of time before enough people doing what you are doing ruins it for the rest of us. Congrats.

Hey if you're not using a lot of data why do you even care about unlimited? But if you want to pay for unlimited and set an arbitrary limit for yourself feel free, it's your money. Baaaaa. Just don't come complaining about others using the data they pay for.

Last edited:

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
Not really. It's just WHY even buy the phone to keep it on wi-fi all the time and be afraid to use it off wi-fi? Live your mobile life un-hinged.

Except it doesn't fit for him. If he is going to save money going tiered, why shouldn't he? Not everyone uses as much data as others.

If WiFi was everywhere I went, I'd probably have gone tiered too. Or if I had a different job outside of IT.

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
I have unlimited VZW data and still don't use more than 250mb on average each month.

I could use more if I tried. But what would be the point?

The OP reminds me of the kids who used to tether their blackberries to their computers and seed torrents 24/7 just to avoid getting shut off by their ISP.

Brimah

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2012
You really didn't save $120. In order to do a cost saving comparison, you would have to use the phone as you would if you did not have unlimited. By changing any factor between the 2 skews the results.

Now if you tell me that you would use the phone the same way, I.E. avoiding Wifi, if you HAD to and spend the $120, then you would just be a moron and your points are worthless, or you just have more money than you know what to do with and your argument is also worthless.

It is very immature thinking to use it just because you can. As it has been mentioned, this is why unlimited is no longer available. Also, you are leading to your own downfall as people like you will make Verizon completely get rid of unlimited, it is only a matter of time.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
You really didn't save $120. In order to do a cost saving comparison, you would have to use the phone as you would if you did not have unlimited. By changing any factor between the 2 skews the results.

Now if you tell me that you would use the phone the same way, I.E. avoiding Wifi, if you HAD to and spend the $120, then you would just be a moron and your points are worthless, or you just have more money than you know what to do with and your argument is also worthless.

It is very immature thinking to use it just because you can. As it has been mentioned, this is why unlimited is no longer available. Also, you are leading to your own downfall as people like you will make Verizon completely get rid of unlimited, it is only a matter of time.

the tribe has spoken!

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
And because of people like you, think of all the money people (including you) are going to be out when Verizon just stops offering unlimited.

You have no contract. They can (and will) any time they decide leeches are doing too much bandwidth damage.

And yes, you most certainly bog down the network. Just because they can't artificially throttle does NOT mean that 1000 users streaming HD Anime from their moms basement won't slow down speeds. It does.

I have ATT ul. No jealousy. Their unlimited might be around a while because they can throttle. Verizon on the other hand, will have no choice but to cut you off.

I'm sure they'll be very sad to see you go though lol... You know, when you think threatening to take your non contract data hogging LTE elsewhere will convince them not to drop your precious unlimited data.

You and folks like you will be the end of Verizon unlimited. Enjoy the "savings" then LMAO.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out :)

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
Because it's people like you that made AT&T and VZ start throttling and killing off unlimited data in the first place. It's only a matter of time before enough people doing what you are doing ruins it for the rest of us. Congrats.

Wrong. AT&T and Verizon are throttling because the technology grew faster than their network could keep up with.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Yes they do on 3G only and on a tower by tower basis

They do NOT throttle LTE. From what I have heard it was in their agreement when they purchased the frequency from the government.

Cool for now, bad for when they use it as an excuse to end unlimited.

And users like the OP make it an easy conclusion for them to reach because ridding data hogs won't do anything but make them MORE money.

People who paid full price have no recourse. They have no contract, no guarantee, not even a promise from Verizon that unlimited will be offered forever.

They just think they do because they paid full price. They don't.

Face it, Verizon will stop this sooner than later. All they have to do is say "there is no more unlimited option". There is no obligation on their end.

You can kick and scream all you want at that point, but they won't be sad to see you go.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
And because of people like you, think of all the money people (including you) are going to be out when Verizon just stops offering unlimited.

You have no contract. They can (and will) any time they decide leeches are doing too much bandwidth damage.

And yes, you most certainly bog down the network. Just because they can't artificially throttle does NOT mean that 1000 users streaming HD Anime from their moms basement won't slow down speeds. It does.

I have ATT ul. No jealousy. Their unlimited might be around a while because they can throttle. Verizon on the other hand, will have no choice but to cut you off.

I'm sure they'll be very sad to see you go though lol... You know, when you think threatening to take your non contract data hogging LTE elsewhere will convince them not to drop your precious unlimited data.

You and folks like you will be the end of Verizon unlimited. Enjoy the "savings" then LMAO.

yep.

When someone's arrogance and ignorance causes a problem (in this case bandwidth hogging causing slowdowns/revocation of unlimited plans) for the masses, it's in our best interest to get them to stop.

I will feel zero pity when (not if, but WHEN) Verizon drops you as a customer. Why give you unlimited data when they could use the same bandwidth for people on tiered plans, consuming responsibly and paying fairly for it? They'll wise up soon.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
Lol, this is why they are working to get rid of the Unlimited plans. No wonder Verizon LTE speeds have been getting slower :p

speak for yourself my have gone from 35mbps...to 55mbps.

Specifically, the agency's rules for this spectrum state that licensees offering service on C Block of 700 MHz spectrum "shall not deny, limit, or restrict the ability of their customers to use the devices and applications of their choice on the licensee's C Block network."

they cant limit 4g devices per the F.C.C. hence why they stopped doing subsidized phones for unlimited users.

----------

Specifically, the agency's rules for this spectrum state that licensees offering service on C Block of 700 MHz spectrum "shall not deny, limit, or restrict the ability of their customers to use the devices and applications of their choice on the licensee's C Block network."

lol keep believing what ATT wants you to. LTE is 10 times more efficient than 3g. If not more. att throttles 3g at 3gb.. and LTE at 5gb. Realistically it should be 30 GB on lte..

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
speak for yourself my have gone from 35mbps...to 55mbps.

they cant limit 4g devices per the F.C.C. hence why they stopped doing subsidized phones for unlimited users.

Your speed might get even FASTER. So?

This is about the OP, who thinks he/she is saving money by paying full price for a phone and then using it like wifi (which he/she probably still has, just doesn't use to "get his/her money's worth" from big bad Verizon).

It will end up being the end of VZW unlimited.

Then they'll be stuck with a full price phone, no unlimited, and NO recourse besides leaving.

My point is, VZW wants data hogs gone anyway. They won't mind if people who aren't on contract, didn't get subsidized, and use 1TB a month, leave for greener pastures.

They'll be happy, which is why this is going to happen.

When? Probably sooner for every OP out there.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
Your speed might get even FASTER. So?

This is about the OP, who thinks he/she is saving money by paying full price for a phone and then using it like wifi (which he/she probably still has, just doesn't use to "get his/her money's worth" from big bad Verizon).

It will end up being the end of VZW unlimited.

Then they'll be stuck with a full price phone, no unlimited, and NO recourse besides leaving.

My point is, VZW wants data hogs gone anyway. They won't mind if people who aren't on contract, didn't get subsidized, and use 1TB a month, leave for greener pastures.

They'll be happy, which is why this is going to happen.

When? Probably sooner for every OP out there.

sooo? verizon is improving their networks.. i had att since the original iphone with unlimited.. and was able to take over a verizon unlimited data plan for the iphone 5.

Never once with Att since 2007 did i feel like my network was being slowed down due to others. LTE is more efficient.. loads more. if ATT says its okay for 3gb of unlimited before it " starts to effect the network"
then doing 25-30 gb is no problem on LTE.

regardless the FCC prohibits verizon to limit LTE devices...so until that is appealed ill continue to sit easy.

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
Yeah, its rediculous and immature to take the stance of force LTE even when Wifi is available.

I just left unlimited on ATT because I can buy a 10GB share plan for less.

My wife uses 300MB a month.
My son uses a gig.

I get about 8.5GB of data for me with no throttling like I would on the unlimited plan.

I also gained tethering and facetime over cellular.

I use wifi at home and LTE everywhere else and I still only use 1Gb a month. I'm not trying to be careful, but I'm also not trying to use all 8.5 GB on purpose because I'm 'paying' for it.

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
regardless the FCC prohibits verizon to limit LTE devices...so until that is appealed ill continue to sit easy.

As it was a part of the spectrum purchase agreement there is no option to appeal. Now they are buying new spectrum in the 800 mhz range, that spectrum may or may not have such an agreement included. But we are safe in the 700 unless you choose to change your plan yourself.

I used 16 gigs last month, ya I know, kind of low usage. I usually do around 20 to 30.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
OP, it's fine if you have one line with unlimited (maybe 2 lines). But if you have 5 lines with unlimited data. The costs become too much.

You would be giving up $2000 in iphone subsidies from Verizon ever 20 months if you had 5 lines you wanted to keep all of them unlimited.

I have unlimited data myself with Verizon (and ATT). I use my LTE sim from Verizon phone in my LTE Verizon iPad and usually use between 2GB a month. Sure, I can rack up 100GB of data if I really wanted to and let my 2 year old stream Disney channel app via LTE all day. But it's not necessary for a majority of users who are in wifi most of the time.

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
OP, it's fine if you have one line with unlimited (maybe 2 lines). But if you have 5 lines with unlimited data. The costs become too much.

You would be giving up $2000 in iphone subsidies from Verizon ever 20 months if you had 5 lines you wanted to keep all of them unlimited.

I have unlimited data myself with Verizon (and ATT). I use my LTE sim from Verizon phone in my LTE Verizon iPad and usually use between 2GB a month. Sure, I can rack up 100GB of data if I really wanted to and let my 2 year old stream Disney channel app via LTE all day. But it's not necessary for a majority of users who are in wifi most of the time.

True true, but imagine 5 lines with 30 gigs each, thats 150 gigs and with the tiered plan you would pay around $2,300. a month for data. So you would save about $2,100. a month on data. Thats the costs of the retail phones in one month savings over a year you would save $27,000.

qckslvrsiete

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
It would.
More traffic and more users connected to a tower then net congestion and high usage will cause lower speeds for everyone.

That makes zero sense.
Keep it on wifi to use up less battery and get better speeds. If you have wifi its the responsible thing to do is use it instead of trying to rack up as much carrier data as you can in order I guess to "stick it to the Man".
These types of attitudes are childish.
So just because I have unlimited data Im supposed to use up 30GB's of carrier data and live my life unhinged?:rolleyes:

While for the most part I agree with you, I wouldn't mind the unlimited option for verizon only because my VZW LTE gets ~25-30mbps down all to itself, whereas my home wifi usually gets 10-12 and is shared by two iPhones and an iMac.

Noisemaker

Mar 13, 2009
It would not.

That's just blatantly incorrect. I don't care what type of service it is; more usage from multiple sources = provided service is bogged down, and therefore slower. LTE is no different in that regard. There are always limits to how much a tower can handle.

And on the topic, you're not actually saving anything. You're telling yourself that you are to justify buying the phone.
I went from unlimited data on one line to a shared data plan, and I'm saving $80/month because of it, as I'm no longer paying for unlimited texting either. I have unlimited minutes, unlimited texting, and the basic data plan - which I've yet to go over, even with moderate data usage while away from home.

The data you're using could be on wi-fi. You're simply putting your phone on LTE instead while at home to use more data in order to justify the fact that you're still spending more a month than most are, in addition to buying the phone at full price.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
While for the most part I agree with you, I wouldn't mind the unlimited option for verizon only because my VZW LTE gets ~25-30mbps down all to itself, whereas my home wifi usually gets 10-12 and is shared by two iPhones and an iMac.

Invest in a Verizon LTE iPad. Use the LTE sim from ur phone in the Verizon LTE ipad with free hotspot. Bam, you got a home internet with unlimited LTE data (assuming you have unlimited data already).

That's the only true reason to save money with unlimited LTE Verizon data. There is nothing Verizon can do about it since it's part of their FCC agreement.

Although I think Verizon may try to force the FCC to modify their agreement in the near future if they notice more and more people replacing their home internet with Verizon unlimited LTE service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.