Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

dominique_oh-150x186.jpg
The Korea Times reports that Apple has fired the head of its Korean unit, Dominique Oh, with sources indicating that the move was related to sluggish sales in the country.
"Apple terminated the contract with Oh last week," Apple spokesman Steve Park said by telephone, late Tuesday.

"We acknowledge that there are many speculations surrounding Oh's contract termination. But we can't do more, it's just a simple fact," Park said.
Oh joined Apple just 17 months ago, coming from LG where he oversaw the company's Android and Windows Phone 7 efforts.

Korea is an interesting market for Apple given its rivalry with Seoul-based Samsung, and Oh's removal is said to be a curious one given than the iPhone 5 launch in the country is said to be just days or weeks away.

Article Link: Apple Fires Chief of Korean Unit After Only 17 Months on the Job

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Maybe he got a better offer from Samsung?

Well, typically when someone gets a better job offer from a competing company, they quit.

This man was terminated, so maybe your implication is correct, that Samsung attempted to bribe him while he was under the employ of their main competitor. Those scumbags!

Either way, being fired from his job brings great shame upon him, his family, and probably his ancestors, too. :)

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Oh lord

Will Sandra Oh play him in the inevitable "Lifetime" movie on Apple post Steve Jobs, "Applocalypse Now"?

ascylto

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2009
Psssst ...

Pssst.

Why not tell them that Browett is superb and the best thing that's happened to Apple. Then Slamdung might buy him!

Hard luck, Oh.

ArchAndroid

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
London, England
The Korea Times reports that Apple has fired the head of its Korean unit, Dominique Oh, with sources indicating that the move was related to sluggish sales in the country.

I think a lot of people are underestimating how much oriental countries value 'pride' and 'honour'.

Samsung is the General Motors of South Korea. When Apple goes around denigrating the name of the national conglomerate, it is obvious that the Koreans aren't going to like it one iota. Mr. Oh is just a victim of circumstance.

Bendrix

macrumors member
May 9, 2012
I love reading these clueless comments from people who view Asia as being populated entirely by Bond villains.

Lex Yu

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2009
I think a lot of people are underestimating how much oriental countries value 'pride' and 'honour'.

Samsung is the General Motors of South Korea. When Apple goes around denigrating the name of the national conglomerate, it is obvious that the Koreans aren't going to like it one iota. Mr. Oh is just a victim of circumstance.

Samsung isn't like GM. Samsung is more like the Royal Family of Russia.

Samsung controls EVERYTHING in Korea, especially, politicians, the court, media, press(news papers), and you name it.

Samsung owner's family (found and president of Samsung group) is invincible.

Have you watched American TV show called, Nikita? In the show, there's a fictional corporation of Russia that controls everything is Russia, and even having some of American politicians in their hands.

Samsung is very like it. Samsung is not a small Asian company. Samsung electronics that make Galaxy handsets is just a small part of giant Samsung Group. The Samsung Group is 10x bigger than Apple, MS, and Google.

I'm not kidding. Did you know Samsung builds missile, bombs, and tanks? Yes. Samsung has a government military contraction. They build weapons, ships, and possess oil company.

As a Korean, I feel it's silly when foreign people (especially Americans..) think Apple is to blame and Samsung is a victim.

They have no idea what Samsung is.

Samsung is not a company, They are government. They rule Korea.

Bendrix

macrumors member
May 9, 2012
I don't know what connection your screen name has to your real name, but isn't Yu a Chinese last name?

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006

Samsung controls EVERYTHING in Korea, especially, politicians, the court, media, press(news papers), and you name it.

Have you watched American TV show called, Nikita? In the show, there's a fictional corporation of Russia that controls everything is Russia, and even having some of American politicians in their hands.

Samsung is very like it. Samsung is not a small Asian company. Samsung electronics that make Galaxy handsets is just a small part of giant Samsung Group. The Samsung Group is 10x bigger than Apple, MS, and Google.

I'm not kidding. Did you know Samsung builds missile, bombs, and tanks? Yes. Samsung has a government military contraction. They build weapons, ships, and possess oil company.

As a Korean, I feel it's silly when foreign people (especially Americans..) think Apple is to blame and Samsung is a victim.

Stop it, your scaring me. This is 'South' Korea right? :D

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Its hilarious how scared if samsung fanboys are. Its just a phone not a national secret.

What's really hilarious is that only Apple and Mr. Oh actually know (or need to know) what happened here, yet there will be no end of assertions otherwise. But hey, whatever sells newspapers or collects eyeballs for ad revenue...

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Is he the guy responsible for Apple Maps or what ?

Heh. At the risk of compounding the drift off Mr. Oh's changed circumstances: I have kinda enjoyed reviewing the video podcast of that rollout. Looking at Scott and wondering if he felt sick in advance or was pretty sure he had caged a bunch of people in a room with fifty pizzas and a bunch of energy drinks and told them THIS IS IT UNTIL THAT THING WORKS and figured everything would turn out okay.

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham

Blue light special on tin foil, aisle 3.

Jugney

macrumors member
May 6, 2008
Here's another funny reference that came to mind:

The Office Season 3, The Merger

Michael: You can't quit! On the first day. That's [deep voice] heresy, my friend! [regular voice] Okay, let's talk about this. What happened? Was it Toby? Did he say something? Cause he's...

Tony: No. Toby was helpful. He was very kind. It's just your management style.

Michael: My management style? Didn't you think 'Lazy Scranton' was funny?

Tony: No. Was it supposed to be funny?

Michael: Okay. Well, don't bother quitting because you're fired.

Tony: Excuse me?

Michael: You are fired! I'm sorry, but we don't have quitters on this team! Just clean out your desk!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.