Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ibooks.png
At today's media event, Apple announced an update to its iBooks app for the iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. The updated iBooks app will feature a new continuous scrolling option, support for more than 40 languages including Korean and Japanese, and the ability to share passages from books via Facebook and Twitter.

The new version of iBooks will be available later today as a free download through the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Apple Announces Updated iBooks App With Continuous Scrolling

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
STILL no app for mac, pc, or any other platform? **** that.

Last edited:

squidkitten

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2012
Omaha
So far I'm annoyed at the new continuous scrolling feature. I hope there's an option for page turning. One of my favorite things about iBooks is how the reading experience is very similar to reading a real book, and I may switch back to the Kindle App :/

RayK

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
So far I'm annoyed at the new continuous scrolling feature. I hope there's an option for page turning. One of my favorite things about iBooks is how the reading experience is very similar to reading a real book, and I may switch back to the Kindle App :/

The commercial of the iPad mini still showed the page turning, so it looks like an option, not a requirement.

squidkitten

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2012
Omaha
The commercial of the iPad mini still showed the page turning, so it looks like an option, not a requirement.

Oh! Excellent! I hope that's the case. I didn't see the commercials because I had to stick to the Engadget liveblog while I was in class rather than watch the livestream. Thanks!

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Dumb question but since I started the video of the event late...

What does continuous scrolling actually mean?

rcmit

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2011
IL
No future

Apple is making a big mistake by not making iBooks available on OS X. Personally, I will never purchase a book from Apple unless it's readable on my iMac. I know quite a few students with MacBooks of varying ages who would love to have textbooks on their computers. There's no way that these students are going to purchase an iPad just to be able to buy books from Apple, they can barely afford the books themselves. Apple is missing out on a great opportunity.

philipk

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2008
STILL no app for mac, pc, or any other platform? **** that.

Like or not, it is because of DRM.

Every other eBook's DRM has been cracked and the tools are available on the web. Apple iBook is the only DRM not cracked and it is due to the fact that there isn't a OS X or Windows version.

Some have claimed to crack iBook's DRM in iTunes but the claims are dubious. I wouldn't try it as I don't want to corrupt my iTunes files. Even if the claims are correct, the next iTunes update plugs to holes.

Bottom line, as long as the publishers insist on DRM there will be NO OS X or Windows version of iBooks.

----------

Personally, I will never purchase a book from Apple unless it's readable on my iMac.

Agreed. I do not purchase books from Apple.

All of my eBooks have been purchased by me and I read them in iBooks on my iPad or iPhone. I read them in Calbre on OS X. (No pirated books)

To quote both the Bible and my Old Testament professor who stated all papers are due in his office by Dec. 20. However, he will not be in his office until January.

"Those who have ears hear."

Last edited:

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
iBook is the only DRM not cracked and it is due to the fact that there isn't a OS X or Windows version.

I don't buy that.

Bottom line, as long as the publishers insist on DRM there will be NO OS X or Windows version of iBooks.

I'm sure publishers are happy if it's not the only format not hacked, but if Apple is letting the publishers keep them from making the software available on other platforms, they are getting conned. If publishers really insisted on that, why are they still making their books available on the other hacked formats anyway? DRM is only as strong as it's weakest link, if a book is available in a format that can be hacked, also having it in an unhackable format doesn't make it any more secure.

Not to mention that Apple has already been through the DRM games with music and movies...and in both of those cases they made all that content playable on macs and PCs from day one.

The only explanation that seems plausible is that Apple thinks they can sell more iOS devices if iBooks is "exclusive". And there's no way they're getting that result.

Last edited:

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
Where is iBooks for Mac? That's what I was hoping for :-/

----------

The only explanation that seems plausible is that Apple thinks they can sell more iOS devices if iBooks is "exclusive". And there's no way they're getting that result.

This is my suspicion too. Apple wants iBooks to be an iOS exclusive. But who wants to spend money on a book they can only read on one device, when there are so many cross-platform alternatives out there? It's sad when Kindle offers a better option for eBooks across all your Mac devices than Apple itself is willing to offer.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Continuous scrolling?! Wow. It's like a magical device that makes me believe I'm holding my Palm Zire 71 from 2003!

It's actually a decent option to have, it's just a bit embarrassing that they think that's worth making a fuss about in a big media event when half the Apple users on the planet are screaming 'where is my iBooks reader for OS X (and I'm all about Kindle until that happens)?'.

philipk

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2008
I don't buy that.

I don't want to get into a technical discussion on cracking DRM as it would be a violation of forum rules. It would suffice to say that having DRM built into an OS X or Windows program helps hackers. Kindle tried Apples method with their new Kindle USB only books. Still they got hacked.

DRM is only as strong as it's weakest link, if a book is available in a format that can be hacked, also having it in an unhackable format doesn't make it any more secure.
Exactly!

Does iBooks have any exclusives? Textbooks!
Textbooks are a HUGE profit center for publishers and they will protect them.

Not to mention that Apple has already been through the DRM games with music and movies...and in both of those cases they made all that content playable on macs and PCs from day one.

Yes and both have been hacked. UltraViolet will not allow HD movies to be downloaded on macs and pcs. So far they haven't been hacked.

BTW
I am not agreeing with Apple or the publishers. DRM only hurts the honest customer!

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
But that doesn't answer my question. If the publishers are stopping apple because of DRM, then why do they allow Amazon to do it?

Saying that there's an exclusive just because of textbooks (most of which were added to ibooks as exclusives much later after the initial ibooks release) is even more farfetched.

Honestly, the publishers would probably prefer cross platform because they'd sell more books. But they probably don't care that much since people who want cross platform are just going to buy them on Amazon anyway.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Like or not, it is because of DRM.

Which is particularly frustrating to publishing companies such as mine. When we submit our ebooks to the iBookstore, we ALWAYS choose the "No DRM" option. Yet, Apple still apparently slaps a layer of DRM onto everything it sells.

I don't even know why they bother to offer that option if it's not actually going to be honored.

As a publisher, I look forward to the day when all ebooks are DRM-free.

philipk

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2008
But that doesn't answer my question. If the publishers are stopping apple because of DRM, then why do they allow Amazon to do it?

Saying that there's an exclusive just because of textbooks (most of which were added to ibooks as exclusives much later after the initial ibooks release) is even more farfetched.

Honestly, the publishers would probably prefer cross platform because they'd sell more books. But they probably don't care that much since people who want cross platform are just going to buy them on Amazon anyway.

Neither of us have inside info, so this is all speculation.

Textbooks came about one year after iBooks. It is not a stretch to guess they were planning on textbooks before the release of the original iPad.

If DRM holds for iBooks, textbook publishers gain a huge profit center including stopping students from buying used books.

Also to claim Apple isn't making an OS X iBooks due to forcing people to buy iPads is very weak as their customers will as you said, buy from Amazon.

For the record, I buy mostly from Amazon (90%) or Barnes and Noble. I have only purchased one from Apple. I read everything through iBooks on my iPad.

----------

One more thought.

iBooks isn't driving the purchase of iPads. Web browsing is the main driving factor.

I know many people with both an iPad and Kindle or iPad and Nook as they wouldn't buy books from Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.