Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:20 PM   #26
Dan--
macrumors regular

This sounds similar to Intel's SRT (SSD caching) but with OS X managing the locations, and it does not appear to be a cache, but just additional drive space.

Having just put an SSD into my MBP after pulling the optical drive, I'd like to have this functionality there.
Dan-- is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:20 PM   #27
BillyBobBongo
macrumors 68000

Dammit, recently bought a new MacBook Air. There has to be a way to get a new iMac without the wife revoking my privileges!
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:20 PM   #28
diamond3
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigamy View Post
Did they remove the FW800 port too? I have 4 FW enclosures on the floor connected to my 2011 iMac. Guess I won't be upgrading until Thunderbolt prices come down to my level.
For the price you are spending on an iMac, the thunderbolt to firewire adapter shouldn't be too unreasonable of a purchase. $30
diamond3 is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:21 PM   #29
drummingcraig
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mganai View Post
The flash in hybrids is used typically for cache.

Apple, instead, is going the whole nine yards: using the SSD for OS and apps as well, while data goes in the HDD.
You're missing my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleod199 View Post
It's still a cache. A bigger one, perhaps, but it's exactly the same concept. Especially given that it's determining what to load into automatically - we'll see how well that works!
You're NOT missing my point.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:21 PM   #30
Sacird
macrumors 6502a

Guarantee that RAM is soldered as well. Price increase and the thin BS I could care less about. i5 at those prices still? Pass. I'll build one myself Apple, and use your OS if I want.

EDIT: 21 inch is non replaceable 27 inch is. For now.

Last edited by Sacird; Oct 23, 2012 at 01:35 PM.
Sacird is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:22 PM   #31
class77
macrumors 6502a

Really dumb to make the iMac that thin and take away the optical drive. There was no need to do that.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:22 PM   #32
ps45
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellSmith View Post
Ignorant question: do you think they will have 17 processor models?
To have that many would seem like overkill to me
ps45 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:22 PM   #33
RemarkabLee
macrumors 6502a

RAM upgradable to 32Gb

http://www.apple.com/imac/specs/
RemarkabLee is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:23 PM   #34
topgunn
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by class77 View Post
Really dumb to make the iMac that thin and take away the optical drive. There was no need to do that.
How often do you use the optical drive?
topgunn is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:23 PM   #35
vandeetz
macrumors member

I was really thinking of getting this, but I think I'm going to have to pass.

thin and light is great when using a laptop or a tablet, I don't see the advantage in a desktop unit. I'm not concerned with these in a non portable and would prefer to have an optical drive. I'm not willing to spend more money and have increased desk clutter to have an external dvd drive.

I'm just not willing to pay these prices for less functionality and I can't imagine anyone that wants an optical drive would buy one of these machines. Unfortunately the Mac Pro's have become strictly pro machines ($$$) and those that would take a tower are left out in the cold here.

beyond that I hate that with every new machine I have less and less user serviceable parts. I want to be able to do minor upgrades. I'm not going to buy a new computer every couple years and being able to upgrade parts is huge in extending the life of you computer.

just my 2
vandeetz is offline   26 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:23 PM   #36
JesseW6889
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliber26 View Post
I just bought my iMac in January but this new design is a must-have for me. Luckily, Macs have great resell value so my outta pocket expense won't be too bad.

This machine is love at first sight. I cannot wait to meet her in person.
Sell it RIGHT NOW. In my experience, the rest of the world DOESN'T check MacRumors.com 3 times a day... you only have about a week before yours is no longer the 'latest model available.'
JesseW6889 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:23 PM   #37
Callumbear845
macrumors member

According to the web site, RAM IS REPLACEABLE, 4 SLOTS!!!
Callumbear845 is offline   24 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:24 PM   #38
MacSignal
macrumors regular

It seems especially pointless that the new design is thinner.

It wouldn't surprise me if thinner = hotter and more problems with overall reliability and display consistency from the heat. I will let more eager Apple customers do the field testing to see what happens.

I do applaud the addition of a lower glare screen.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:24 PM   #39
NAG
macrumors 68030

The 27 inch model has 4 user upgradable RAM slots. 21 inch doesn't have any.
NAG is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:24 PM   #40
slughead
macrumors 68030

Apple innovates once again by reinventing the ssd/platter drive and calling it something other than a "hybrid". BRILLIANT.

... Just like they invented Thunderbolt; oh wait. I mean Firewire; oh wait. I mean the tablet; oh wait.

The circus-seal flipper-flapping applause after that announcement were really negatively impacting my faith in humanity.

Great products today, I'm just trying to be in b4 the "Apple invents new things all the time!" fanboys have their collective orgasm. This hybrid drive is going to improve performance for a lot of people. It will likely have highly inconsistent performance with file access as things get copied to the SSD cache (just like with conventional hybrid drives). Still, it's likely a step-up.

Last edited by slughead; Oct 23, 2012 at 01:31 PM.
slughead is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:24 PM   #41
joesegh
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tungstentim View Post
I hope that's not the situation, as ill end up buying the previous/current model.

I don't need a thin machine, it's going on a desk.
That appears to not be the situation.

http://www.apple.com/imac/specs/

"8GB (two 4GB) of 1600MHz DDR3 memory; four user-accessible SO-DIMM slots" -27" only. 21.5" does not have this language about user-accessibility.
joesegh is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:25 PM   #42
Mr-Stabby
macrumors 6502

I love the thinner design, but at the expense of so many things.

1.User Upgradeable RAM looks like it's out. (Confirmed is on 21.5 inch model)
2. SDXC Card Slot at the back? STUPID idea!
3. No SSD option for base model.
4. Most models have 5400rpm HDD Drive, so even slower than the old model,which is pathetic at this cost.
5. Graphics card looks to be a little weak.

Plus it's 100 more in the UK. Not worth it.

Am i still buying one? Yes because i'm a sap....
Mr-Stabby is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:25 PM   #43
Awfisch
macrumors member

The new iMac stole the show.

I don't care what you say about the iPad mini, in my view, the new iMac easily stole the show today. To those who say Apple doesn't innovate anymore, take a look at the Macbook Pro Retina, and now the new iMac.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:25 PM   #44
chillco
macrumors newbie

The new iMac tech specs page on apple.com says the RAM is user accessible. Hooray!

Source: http://www.apple.com/imac/specs/

(edit: looks like only the 27 inch version is user accessible?)
chillco is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:25 PM   #45
NAG
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by slughead View Post
Apple innovates once again by reinventing the ssd/platter drive and calling it something other than a "hybrid". BRILLIANT.

... Just like they invented Thunderbolt; oh wait. I mean Firewire; oh wait. I mean the tablet; oh wait.

The circus-seal flipper-flapping applause after that announcement were really negatively impacting my faith in humanity.

Great products today, I'm just trying to be in b4 the "Apple invents new things all the time!" fanboys have their collective orgasm.
Glad the burning Macstrawman fanboys are having their fun too.
NAG is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:26 PM   #46
Imaginethe
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemarkabLee View Post
In a user accessible slot on the 27inch!
Imaginethe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:26 PM   #47
Akkudude
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battlefield Fan View Post
When Phil swapped the photo from the 2012 iMac to the older 2011 iMac my jaw dropped into my neighbors apartment.
Same here..
Before that the 2011 was perfectly fine, but after that.. I am also looking forward to the GTX 680 MX with 2 GB
Akkudude is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:26 PM   #48
Macboy Pro
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacird View Post
Guarantee that RAM is soldered as well. Price increase and the thin BS I could care less about. i5 at those prices still? Pass. I'll build one myself Apple, and use your OS if I want.
It didnt look soldered but there was no evidence of an access panel so you probably have to pay 4x the cost to have Apple put the RAM in. Typical Apple money grab with a huge hype around "WOW, its THIN." Seriously, other then immature 20 somethings, who gives a crap how thin it is? Especially when the thinness is only the edge. Its still just as thick in the back center. Tapered. LOL
Macboy Pro is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:26 PM   #49
RemarkabLee
macrumors 6502a

They look like a bugger to service...

...I'd be interested to see the iFixIt teardown
RemarkabLee is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:26 PM   #50
vandeetz
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topgunn View Post
How often do you use the optical drive?
just because you don't use the optical drive doesn't mean others don't. I know a number of people that use them for dvd authoring also getting digital copies of films and ripping music/movies of the disc.

I think the big deal is, why remove something in a desktop unit that doesn't need to be light and thin? consumers and professionals that have a ned for the drive are left in the cold now, especially with mac pro's being prohibitively expensive
vandeetz is offline   26 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion