Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CJS7070

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
Chicago, IL
Really not a fan of the fact that I can't order the previous-gen iMac before the new ones start shipping. Guess my office won't be getting a new iMac anytime soon...

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
Funny how there are no pics from the side of the iMac.
Also, I hope the fusion drive works better than my Momentus XT, that ended up being every slow after about a year (changed it for an SSD)

But all in all I think it's a nice looking Mac

AndrewClarke

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2007
I don't use it much, but certainly use it more often that I think "oh, this iMac really needs to be thinner and more expensive". ;)

I pulled it from my 15" MacBook Pro and my wife's 13" and haven't missed it. I can still plug it into USB if I want, or use the one that I still have in my Mac Pro. I'm pretty sure the only thing I ever use it for is to rip the occasional DVD.

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2010
Yeah! That'll show em!

But seriously... desktops are in a whole other league from laptops... I agree. I don't think they're trying to make the argument that this thing has a good price/performance ratio though.

I am sure it will show them????? Why not just write your second statement and leave mine out, point was what? You made your statement too thick. Apple would hate that.

Last edited by a moderator:

DerekRod

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2012
NY
Look at the bottom dont see the ram door anymore guess thats not user accessible anymore....

burnout8488

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2011
Endwell, NY
Epic fail.

It's not a new design, it's just thinner. There's no optical drive, which kills it for me. When I use Windows on Bootcamp it means having to have an external optical drive on my desk to load certain programs or play DVD or BD movies in my collection, thus defeating the purpose of having an all-in-one machine. Another external device to add to my modem, external HDD, speakers, etc

So you're still buying it? Or were those hypotheticals?

Marcus-k

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2011
The flash in hybrids is used typically for cache.

Apple, instead, is going the whole nine yards: using the SSD for OS and apps as well, while data goes in the HDD.

No, the SSDs in hybrid discs are used exactly the way Apple is doing it now. It's not even Apple that invented this specific version of it, they are just using Intels SRT feature which has been availible on Ivy Bridge motherboards since the beginning. This feature is availible to practically all Ivy Bridge computers if you install a SSD in it.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
It's nice. I'm not knocking it. But I see very little incentive to upgrade from my 2011 - even as someone who loves having the latest and greatest. (Of course, I did get an ssd and i7, just to dissuade myself from being tempted by the next revision :) ).

How are these graphics chips? Different one in each model, plus a 5th option at the very high end. Have not seen so many different ones used before.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
The new iMac is indeed gorgeous. However I wonder how many folks are aware that the Fusion drive isn't exactly a brand new concept. A quick google search revealed several posts on blogs and social media that were lauding Apple for its "innovation" of the Fusion concept, yet I've had a Momentus XT hybrid drive in my MBP for almost two years.

Your Momentus XT comes with a special build of Mountain Lion that takes advantage of it like the Fusion Drive? I didn't think so. As with most things Apple, they combine an integration of hardware AND software/OS to achieve solutions that "hardware only" providers can't really achieve simply because of the fact that they are only producing a hardware solution and can't integrate into the OS the way Apple can.

This has always been one of Apple's biggest advantages.

tomtendo

Suspended
Aug 29, 2009
Florida
just because you don't use the optical drive doesn't mean others don't. I know a number of people that use them for dvd authoring also getting digital copies of films and ripping music/movies of the disc.

I think the big deal is, why remove something in a desktop unit that doesn't need to be light and thin? consumers and professionals that have a ned for the drive are left in the cold now, especially with mac pro's being prohibitively expensive

I'm 110% sure apple has an external optical drive via USB. Go buy that or buy a third party one.

I myself haven't touched a CD in....hmm... 4 years?

drummingcraig

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2007
"Armpit of the South"
What I find funny is that people were so outraged a few months ago when this feature **didn't** make its way into the Macbook Pro. And now they're nonplussed to see it appear in the iMac? It really is impossible to please everybody, I think.

Not sure if my posts are part of the "nonplussed" group you're referring to, but to be clear I am not damning Apple at all. I was simply making an observation that other people around the interwebs were already crediting Apple with inventing a new technology within seconds after the announcement, when that is (as far as we currently know) not the case.

sshambles

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2005
Australia
Great products today, I'm just trying to be in b4 the "Apple invents new things all the time!" fanboys have their collective orgasm.

Hint: That's you! :)
You're posting here, don't make out as if you're not a fanboy. Otherwise you wouldn't be here.

iMacs look great, though might be worth holding out for Retina perhaps?

DKZ

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2006
I think I'm going to keep my 2 weeks old 27" iMac (6970m), gasp! And here is why: The design is nice, but not something you're going to notice in use. The graphics cards, while better, also make the machine more expensive. The 675MX is roughly 30% better than the 6970m, but would cost me an extra 1000 dkr. I don't really want to think about what the 680MX will make it cost.

CPU wise, the difference is negligible, and while fusion drive sounds awesome. It'll raise the price even further. I'm not made of money dammit.

And we use the dvd drive quite often here.

Plus, I really don't want to wait till December.

Nice machine, but I think I'm keeping this one. Just got the get them to fix that damn fan.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
Not possible. The "chin" is fused to the back... the screen is fused to the glass.

I'd love to see ifixit even TRY to get this open without ruining it.

I'm sure Apple's RAM prices will be fair though... :rolleyes:

It appears the new iMac is not user-serviceable, like the rMBP's and MBA's. Not surprising, but it's going to take an old-timer like me a few years to get used to the idea of disposable computers.

Thunderbird

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2005
Ugh... really...

You can get a separate optical drive. You're complaining because the stand is the same? really!?? Saying fail and epic fail just makes you sound like a 12 year old.

Try reading my post instead of insulting me, k?

I don't want to have to go out and buy a separate optical drive and have it clutter my desk. The stand is still not ergonomic, yes, that's something to complain about.

If you don't like my use of the word 'fail' too bad, suck on a lemon.

Lynn Belvedere

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2012
Even though they increased the price, the new iMac is still a great value.

Twice as much ram, twice as much hard drive space, much better video card, better processor, better screen with less glare, and the thinner/lighter design. Well worth the extra $100.

The iPad 2 and the Macbook Pro retina on the other hand?

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Last edited:

Zach Vega

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2012
United States
Totally buying it. My low-end 2010 21.5" iMac is getting old, and the 16 GB RAM (what I'm getting), Fusion Drive, and thinness will be epic. I'm going with a 27" screen this time.

Intarweb

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2007
Not possible. The "chin" is fused to the back... the screen is fused to the glass.

I'd love to see ifixit even TRY to get this open without ruining it.

I'm sure Apple's RAM prices will be fair though... :rolleyes:

I'm not spending an extra $300 for the ability to just upgrade the ram in the 27" one. It looks like my first gen MacPro will be the last Mac I will buy.

mariana888

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2010
UK
How often do you use the optical drive?

You are correct, I don't mind the optical drive to be done with, I noticed the other day that I hadn't used mine in a loooooooong time.

However a few things I do use and that may look old fashion.... any CD (you may receive as a present) and need to add to your library, any movie that comes with "digital copy" where you need to add the disk to iTunes (yes, I do get these). Minute details but it does cause some bother short term.

The new iMac looks amazing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.