Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aspenth

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2012
The rMBP 15 is running fine with it. I don't see how this is an issue unless you really need a dGPU unless you need it to run graphically intensive programs. Plus this is pushing less pixels than the 15 so it'll be easier on it.

----------

The issue, at least for me, is that Apple expects me to pay for $1700+ for a glorified 13" MBA with Retina stapled on. As I mentioned before, I don't think it's so much that Apple couldn't include a dGPU it's that they wouldn't. Which is fine with me, there are plenty of other 13" options where I won't have to make that sacrifice or spend a premium price for a screen that will see usage only 75% of the time. (Using monitors at home)

Undecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2005
California
So, how does the 13" MacBook Pro compare to the Air? Seems like for a little more weight you get a lot more functionality with the Pro?

Wuiffi

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2011
One question: starting at $1699 - is this without taxes?!, because in Austra it's starting at 1749€ which is nearly 2280$ !!!!

q64ceo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2010
Dear Apple, while I do enjoy your new product, the price is WAY too high. I am sorry, but for that price integrated graphics and a 13 inch screen is simply unacceptable.

pacalis

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2011
The 256GB air with 8GB Ram is a $100 cheaper and a half pound lighter.

Given both are integrated graphics, the 13" MBA is a better deal imho.

littlenemo

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2012
One question: starting at $1699 - is this without taxes?!, because in Austra it's starting at 1879€ which is nearly 2450$ !!!!

Exactly and in france 1749€ wich is about $2300... Can someone explain that HUGE difference in prices ??? A few years ago, the prices were more or less equivalent from US to Europe, what happened ?

Wuiffi

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2011
Exactly and in france 1749€ wich is about $2300... Can someone explain that HUGE difference in prices ??? A few years ago, the prices were more or less equivalent from US to Europe, what happened ?

Sorry I failed, it's the same 1749€/2300$ - which still is way to much compared to the 15'' in my opinion!

pacalis

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2011
Also, I own a 15" rMBP. Glad I didn't wait. Though I'm sure the 13 will sell, it's basically a fatter MBA - it's not really close enough to the 15 rMBP.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I love how Schiller singled out Civilization V as a retina game you can play on this. Sorry, Phil, but there is no way an HD 4000 is going to power that game at a retina resolution.

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
Been waiting for this for a year and said to myself I was going to get one no matter what, but this is too much. Only 500$ less than the 15" and half the Storage and no dedicated graphics. 1499 or MAYBE 1599 would have been reasonable.

I'm with you I would say $1399 - $1499 tops. Seems like the 15" might be better value at $2199

MJedi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2010
No dedicated GPU at that price? No thanks. Guess I'll be sticking to my 13-inch MacBook Air 2011 for another cycle.

benpatient

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2003
I love how Schiller singled out Civilization V as a retina game you can play on this. Sorry, Phil, but there is no way an HD 4000 is going to power that game at a retina resolution.

Well I have to agree. The 2011 15" MBP had a tough time running vanilla at native resolution after the first 100 turns. Scrolling and moving around were so slow that I ended up just playing in strategic view about 90% of the time.

That's on a maxed out i7.

Turning off the dedicated GPU on that machine—with its faster processor and more RAM (and a lower native resolution) was like shooting yourself in the face. The "best" part was when the 3D video parts popped up and all the textures were messed up and it looked like an acid trip.

My 15" rMBP handles the game fairly well, although it is still lagging behind most modern "gaming" PCs in every measurable way.

----------

thinner is not better , larger battery capacity would be better , removing optical drive is bad , very bad in fact and will be the main reason i do not upgrade to this more expensive and flawed machine .

I need an integral optical drive on my mac.

You probably don't. I had a 2011 MBP that I removed the optical drive from (to install an SSD), and I had the optical drive in a little USB enclosure from OWC.

I ended up using it once every couple of months at best.

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
So for £1699 I can buy a 13 inch macbook pro with integrated graphics, 256gb flash storage and an i5 processor, or I can spend £100 more and get a 15 inch version with an i7 and dedicated GPU.

Seriously?

I was just about to post that - wtf ? Plus you are limited to 8GB of Ram.

theuserjohnny

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
The rMBP 15 is running fine with it. I don't see how this is an issue unless you really need a dGPU unless you need it to run graphically intensive programs. Plus this is pushing less pixels than the 15 so it'll be easier on it.

----------

The issue, at least for me, is that Apple expects me to pay for $1700+ for a glorified 13" MBA with Retina stapled on. As I mentioned before, I don't think it's so much that Apple couldn't include a dGPU it's that they wouldn't. Which is fine with me, there are plenty of other 13" options where I won't have to make that sacrifice or spend a premium price for a screen that will see usage only 75% of the time. (Using monitors at home)

From a pricing standpoint I agree but when you posted you had stated that your concern was that a lack of it would hurt the running of the display. Had you stated that within your original post I would have agreed with you.

Well I have to agree. The 2011 15" MBP had a tough time running vanilla at native resolution after the first 100 turns. Scrolling and moving around were so slow that I ended up just playing in strategic view about 90% of the time.

That's on a maxed out i7.

Turning off the dedicated GPU on that machine—with its faster processor and more RAM (and a lower native resolution) was like shooting yourself in the face. The "best" part was when the 3D video parts popped up and all the textures were messed up and it looked like an acid trip.

My 15" rMBP handles the game fairly well, although it is still lagging behind most modern "gaming" PCs in every measurable way.

----------

You probably don't. I had a 2011 MBP that I removed the optical drive from (to install an SSD), and I had the optical drive in a little USB enclosure from OWC.

I ended up using it once every couple of months at best.

i am on a plane every week, and due to work and other reasons use the optical drive on most flights i take, an economy airline table is only so big, i can see why apple are trying to force migrate us away from dvd's and cd's ect , but for the number of us users who NEED to use it this is a retarded 'improvement ' ..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.