Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Why are people saying that its okay if you have AppleCare + - what does it give you to help the situation?

They think in a few months they can smash their iPad 3, pay $49.95 and get a replacement iPad 4. It doesn't work that way though, Apple has plenty of iPad 3 spares. After all, AC+ is covering iPad 3s until at least 3/2014.

malloryjones

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2011
Very angry, sorry.

I know my iPad does all the same it did, but I waited until the third gen, shelled out £649 for THE top end model, and it got 7 months on the market.

I play a lot of games, and my iPad is left behind before it even got a killer app.

Real Racing 3 ... *sigh*

Can't help but feel scunnered.

Could not agree more! I hope there's a backlash. 6 months is ridiculous. They could have offered a rebate for an upgrade or something but no, just greedy.

Very angry!

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
I don't understand all the hate about the new iPad coming out so soon. The only reason you could be mad is if you -have- to have the latest Apple product.

It's pretty clear that Apple wants the dock connector gone as soon as possible. And going through a holiday sales period with their flagship tablet using it was not going to work for them. So instead of just releasing the same iPad with the lightning connector they upgrade the internals as well.

The only difference is speed. And how many of you can say that you are maxing out the speed on your current iPad and that you absolutely need that increase?

I bought the iPad 3 the day it went up for pre-order and I am perfectly fine with not upgrading it anytime soon. It does what I need it to do, and well.

i wouldnt call it pissed in my case, i'm more concerned that support will be dropped at this time next year because they dont sell it anymore and thats exactly what happened to the first iPad. the updated apple page makes me kinda sad, its like the iPad 3 never existed ^^

so here we are, basically stuck with an "filler" iPad

Mr Rogers

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2003
Hong Kong
Forgot to add to my last post, only reason I went iPad was due to 'Retina display - thought both iPad 1 and iPad2 displays sucked when I checked them out initially - so really disappointed by 'Mini' display and may actually wait for the 'Retina' model and invest in the much touted N7 32G, and would certainly invest in the N7 if it came with 64G configuration and 3G.

blackbear219

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2012
I have an iPad 3. I am not the least bit angry over this. You people need to take a chill pill.

First world problems, man.

master-ceo

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
The SUN
How big of difference is the A5 chip to 6?

I feel like it was punched in the mouth with this update just got new iPad

Doesn't matter if the OS is still crummy and if the iPad mini has a A5. It won't be till the next iPad is release this time next year before we start seeing apps that take advantage of the A6 - A7xxx. Mark my words.

Be happy with your iPad 3. It's good for another 2 years.

Romey-Rome

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
Why are people saying that its okay if you have AppleCare + - what does it give you to help the situation?

Because the iPad 3 is out of the lineup, ant not likely to be produced in any capacity. AppleCare+ gives you accidental damage replacement for $50. "Whoops. I dropped it". No more iPad3? Then they give you a 4. That's the theory anyway, but you gotta give it time to clear out the old stock & refurbs.

mr.johnnyboy

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
disgraceful

Absolutely gutted!!

they dont even sell the ipad 3 on the website anymore, not even a trace of it, like it never existed!
so not happy with the 4th generation!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
There was a rumor months ago that the 4th generation iPad would be released this year. Most of you guys dismissed it and to be honest I didn't believe it myself. However, when the lightning connector was announced, it made a little more sense that they could use that as a good reason to shift the release date of the iPad from March to October, which would be better for holiday sales.

I almost bought a iPad 3 over the summer, but decided to wait...just in case. I decided that if no 4th generation iPad showed up in October, then I would just wait until March. Now, I don't wait that long.:D

You buy one now and it will be outdated six months from now :D

malloryjones

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2011
I got my ipad3 on launch.
Love it,
have the iphone 5 now and these different connections are a little annoying.
No need for me to upgrade to the new ipad solely on new chip and connector. No software update will make the ipad3 obsolete for another couple of years. I'll probably upgrade next summer.

The 3rd gen ipad will quickly start to feel out of date. An a5x processor is just too comparatively slow.

I am not alone in being very angry with Apple for this move. Feel scammed.

jdag

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
Livid

This is a real kick in the teeth for those who bought iPad 3.
Are Apple going to do some kind of upgrade offer?

Yup...here are the details on the upgrade offer: Buy an iPad 4 for $499/$599/$699/$629/$729/$829...And you get to keep your iPad 3 at no additional cost.

Seriously...your iPad 3 is just as useful now as it was 2 hours ago before this announcement. Technology changes. New products replace past products (notice I used past, not old).

You have had use of the iPad 3, and if you decide to resell you will lose on that depreciation. But that's your choice.

iPads, or any Apple product and nearly every other consumer product, are not investments. No manufacturer owes it to the consumer to protect their long-term financial position!

You wanted an iPad...you bought an iPad...you used that iPad...enjoy it for many months/years to come.

iabacus

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2011
Hawaii
Now I have to wait another year!

Was waiting patiently for the new iPad in march. Really wanted to upgrade from the 1st generation. I figured the forth generation would be about perfect, but they rushed it. I have a feeling the next one will be worth waiting for- thinner, lighter, igzo?

Another year of waiting while my first generation crashes on every website with too much embedded video. Damn!

whitesand

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2011
Wow...New ipad gets the A6X!!! DOUBLE the CPU and graphics performance as the A5X! Plus faster wifi!!!!

NICE!

BillChambers

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2012
Apple Suck

I will never buy a apple product again. How dare they take £500 off me 6 months ago and then release a new ipad today. Tim Cook has just confirmed what a moron he really is does he really think he can con apples loyal fans. I will be selling my ipad 3 new ipad whatever its called to buy a windows surface. **** Apple raging

Eduardo1971

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2006
Lost Angeles, Ca. usa
Could not agree more! I hope there's a backlash. 6 months is ridiculous. They could have offered a rebate for an upgrade or something but no, just greedy.

Very angry!

You do realize Apple is not a charity-it is a business and they have stockholders to keep happy. Progress moves at a rapid rate-it won't stop. I empathize with your plight but if you feel the way you do just resell your iPad and pay the difference.

Life is too short and to fragile to get this upset over an inimate object. Keep in mind that this is an object that you've lived most of your life without.

jglonek

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2012
So the two major complaints are:

- It will get replaced in six months
- The iPad 3 is closer to not being supported by iOS updates

Both of which are pure guesses. We have no idea if there will be a new iPad in the spring, this could be it until next October. Remember that we went 18 months between iPhone releases, so it's not unprecedented.

As for support, the iPad 3 won't go anywhere until the iPhone 4S does. And with Apple still supporting the 3G I think you have awhile to go on that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.