Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ks-man

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
I really don't understand why iPad 3 owners are getting so angry about the release today. Even if they had waited until March to release the iPad 4, your iPad 3 would perform exactly the same for the next 5 months as it will now. Waiting for a March release would not make the iPad 3:

Faster
Have more capacity
Perform new features
Do anything different

Even if you claim that this will hurt resale value of the iPad 3 that really isn't logical. The resale value today of the iPad 3 will be the same as what it would be on the day of an iPad 4 release in 5 months.

The only reason it matters is if people wanted "bragging rights" about owning the best iPad for another 5 months which really is a pretty lousy reason to own a product. You should own it b/c you like what the product offers to you and nothing about that has changed with today's release.

Enjoy your iPad 3, it is a great product and as an iPad 3 owner I love the display and the speed.

rollzst

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2011
Very angry by this, it's no way to treat loyal customers, I really hope not many people buy the new iPad!

uchosen

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
I will never buy a apple product again. How dare they take £500 off me 6 months ago and then release a new ipad today. Tim Cook has just confirmed what a moron he really is does he really think he can con apples loyal fans. I will be selling my ipad 3 new ipad whatever its called to buy a windows surface. **** Apple raging

I see that this thread will provide me with some entertainment today :D

Yetihunter

macrumors member
May 1, 2012
I bought the first pricey power Mac ($3000 total, only a couple/few years apart from a below $1000 base price) two months before they dropped the intel bombshell. Boo hoo. That computer was supported for about a decade past it's lifespan. It's gonna be alright.

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
Because the iPad 3 is out of the lineup, ant not likely to be produced in any capacity. AppleCare+ gives you accidental damage replacement for $50. "Whoops. I dropped it". No more iPad3? Then they give you a 4. That's the theory anyway, but you gotta give it time to clear out the old stock & refurbs.

Interesting theory, but it seems like I could go to the Apple Store online and still buy refurb iPad 1's every once in a while, so they're definitely floating around.
Shouldn't we expect the same from the now-outdated 3rd gen?

Romey-Rome

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
The question has already been answered - no.

No, they obviously won't if they keep producing 3s or have plenty of stock, but why would they bother at this point if it's at the same price point? I think it's a tossup... You may have to wait until the 5 is close before they deplete all their 3 stock, but they'll have no choice but to upgrade you if they have no more 3s.

makeway

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2012
iPad 3 owners ...

Assuming the iPad is now on a November schedule ... Apple just did us a huge favor by extending the usefulness of our current tablet for another 8-9 months.

malloryjones

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2011
You do realize Apple is not a charity-it is a business and they have stockholders to keep busy. Progress moves at a rapid rate-it won't stop. I empathize with your plight but if you feel the way you do just resell your iPad and pay the difference.

Life is too short and to fragile to get this upset over an inimate object. Keep in mind that this is an object that you've lived most of your life without.

Thanks. Oh I wouldn't call it plight, just irritation based on asking the Apple genius how long the product cycle lasts and being assured it is a year.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
I still have an '07 mbp with a broken screen and dented case - but it's still being used by my kids. It still does what they want/need it to do.

Point being, Apple's not going to drop updates for the "3" next year just because it's out of the line, especially given they are still offering the "2". The 3 will soldier on for at least a couple of year and those that are sporting the 3 can keep using and enjoying them with no disruption in experience. And if you just can't survive knowing there is a better one available, then sell or gift your 3 and get a 4. But be prepared that next year the 4 will see another update you're going to want and the cycle will continue.

Damn you Apple, damn you.

rockarollr

Suspended
Apr 3, 2010
USA
Livid

This is a real kick in the teeth for those who bought iPad 3.
Are Apple going to do some kind of upgrade offer?

I concur. I'm pretty pissed, too. The "new iPad" only on the market for 7 months and rendered obsolete already? And, to those that say, "It hasn't been made obsolete, quit whining" - yes, it has been made obsolete. Soon, there will be apps and games that that will run on the A6X but will not run on the A5X. This time, it will happen sooner rather than the usual yearly cycle. The iPad's power and capability has changed... the connector has changed. Those are not "minor" changes. This "new iPad" will be much more "future-proof" than the one I bought only a few short months ago.

After spending $1,000 to get a 64GB, LTE "new iPad" not long ago, I now have to sit and wonder, "Do I really want to take a chance and spend that much of my hard-earned money on an Apple product again? Just so I can feel screwed only 6 months later?"

That's not a good assessment coming from a long-time Apple devotee such as myself. Imagine what the people in a similar situation, and with little to no loyalty to Apple, must be feeling right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

VPrime

macrumors 68000
Dec 19, 2008
London Ontario
The ipad3 has too little ram for that retina display.. Apple did not bump up the memory to compensate for double the amount of pixels. when dealing with retina graphics you are extremely limited by this...

My guess with the a6x there is much more memory.. And because th ipad3 is not even available anymore most developers will be using the ipad4 as the technology to develop retina apps for.... Especially new apps and games.

people saying the ioad3 is not obsolete are wrong. You will notice VERY quickly that developers are going to take advantage of the new power and apps will no longer be available for the ipad3.

mozumder

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
Hahah all the geeks are so pissed their iPad 3 is outdated.

Sorry, but Apple doesn't cater to geeks.

You bought your iPad because of its usefulness, not because of its tech specs.

You should not care about iPad 4's specs, because you can still read an iBook, surf the web, play games, etc, at the same speed as you used to do.

Seriously, tech geeks need to go away. Apple doesn't build devices for the sake of the device, they build it to get whatever use you need from them done.

The geeks have no idea why they even care about tech specs. The specs are the LEAST of your problems.

Romey-Rome

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
Interesting theory, but it seems like I could go to the Apple Store online and still buy refurb iPad 1's every once in a while, so they're definitely floating around.
Shouldn't we expect the same from the now-outdated 3rd gen?

Yeh, but they need to provide you an on the spot replacement. Pretty sure no Apple store stock 1s or 2s refurbs.

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
No, they obviously won't if they keep producing 3s or have plenty of stock, but why would they bother at this point if it's at the same price point? I think it's a tossup... You may have to wait until the 5 is close before they deplete all their 3 stock, but they'll have no choice but to upgrade you if they have no more 3s.

Yes, that is certainly a possibility, but I was really referring to people who wanted to pull this as soon as the new iPad launched.

So for now, the answer is still "no."

beg_ne

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2003
Oh the tears of the whiners are so delicious! Yes, yes give me more!

LOL Jesus people get a stick up their ass no matter what Apple does.

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
As an iPad 3 owner, I am glad to see that the new iPad mini has an A5 processor. This is because the iPad 3rd gen has an A5X processor, which means they can't make this chipset truly obsolete any time soon if they just launched a new product with it.
The time will come, but it would have been sooner had the iPad mini launched with an A6 or something.

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
Shops must be really pissed. Stock up, paying a fortune and only a few months later they have no chance but to drop the price..

Bloody stupid.

mozumder

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
If you plan to keep it and use it yes. If you have plans to sell and upgrade, I got bad news for you.

What's the point of buying it in the first place?

Real people don't buy tech products just to upgrade them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.