Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
This is a tough choice, the Mini is out now, keeps the FW port and you get to choose the LCD you want. The iMac 27" is over a month away, and like the Mini now has no DVD and they dropped FW... damn tough choice!

radiohed

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2007
Portland, ME
Even the server has 5400rpm drives. :confused: My 2010 mini server has 7200rpm drives. Not worth upgrading. I'm just going the throw an ssd in one bay. They are amazing little machines though! :D

Strapontin

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2012
Price is a scandal.

599 dollars for the US market (461 euros)

629 euros for the European Market (777 US dollars).

It's not even 1:1 parity !
Here, Apple is really taking its (european) consumer for an idiot.

SirHaakon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2007
But the excitement left when I saw that they removed the discrete graphics!! That is why I didn't get a server model before!
Wow, what the hell... 30 minutes ago the store showed the $799 model with discrete graphics (on the new, updated page with the other new specs), and now they've removed it. THAT'S annoying. Now I may have to re-think. :((

PeterQVenkman

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2005
I'm going to buy an older gen with discrete graphics from a friend super cheap now.

Thanks Apple. I just saved a ton of money not buying your new mini with crappy graphics. :)

Although the SSD is tempting... can anyone verify if I can add an SSD to a previous gen mac mini by myself?

dblissmn

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2002
This server model is the sleeper upgrade. Ridiculously expensive of course, but unique, no more costly than the previous version, tremendously powerful and connectable, and fairly cheap and straightforward to upgrade. Unfortunate to lose discrete graphics on the standard model though.

linkgx1

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2011
I haven't owned a Mac computer before and was thinking about getting a Mini. Is it worth it? I'd mainly be using it for Photoshop, inDesign, etc. I dislike using Adobe products on Windows computers for some reason.

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Price is a scandal.

599 dollars for the US market (461 euros)

629 euros for the European Market (777 US dollars).

It's not even 1:1 parity !
Here, Apple is really taking its (european) consumer for an idiot.

Apple prices on the website do not contain VAT (European websites do), and we Europeans get two years of warranty and associated service. That costs money, just as store rent or property is more expensive here in Europe than in the US.

There are numerous elements in the equation why we would pay more for the same device.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Anyone know if RAM is still user upgradable?

$1049 for quad-core with Fusion drive (1TB HDD + 128GB flash) seems pretty decent, but $300 for 16GB is rather excessive ($81.99 at Crucial).

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Wow, nothing but a bunch of cry babies in here. Bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch about everything every single time Apple updates anything. They could add ever feature every single person here requests and still you guys would cry like a bunch of beaten children that they didn't add something more.

Yes the mini doesn't have top of the line graphics performance. It's the cheapest entry level machine they offer. Deal with it. You're expecting way too much.

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2007
No discrete graphics chips anymore. Downgraded to Intel graphics across the board. Weak.

I just realised that the new 13" Retina MacBook Pro doesn't even have discreet graphics. I'm not sure how they can get away with driving that many pixels with only a weak integrated graphics chip. The whole lineup looks quite poor at the moment in my opinion. The 13" rMBP and Mac Mini are hindered by poor graphics and the iMac's missing the retina display that everyone knows is due at some point. I see no reason to upgrade from my ageing tech at the moment.

Considering it's a pro line. I probably can see that. but if you think about it, most pro 13 inch models have been losing the dedicated GPU for quite sometime. I don't know how you didn't see this coming.

As for "sluggish" feeling. I have a macbook pro retina 15 and while monitior GPU usage, I can tell you that my Dedicated GPU does not turn on unless i'm running flash or other times of media. That means standard usage for websites, and other computer applications DO NOT NEED THE GRAPHICS CARD. it's not sluggish at all.

HD4000 is fine for this type of usage. As proven in the real world.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
Waste of time manufacturing this out.

It's nothing but a door stop and a use for surfing the web and email. Too bad. You put in more ram, hybrid drives and you can't manage a 7 series Mobile from AMD or a 6 series mobile from Nvidia. Pathetic.

looks like a fine desktop workstation to me. not every use-case calls for stellar graphics. most office jobs and mom-and-pop desktops dont. its $599 for chrissakes.

EDarkness

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2008
Japan
Wow, nothing but a bunch of cry babies in here. Bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch about everything every single time Apple updates anything. They could add ever feature every single person here requests and still you guys would cry like a bunch of beaten children that they didn't add something more.

Yes the mini doesn't have top of the line graphics performance. It's the cheapest entry level machine they offer. Deal with it. You're expecting way too much.

What are you talking about? This supposed to be an upgrade over the previous version. No one is asking for super high end, but simply a better graphics card than the last model. That shouldn't be too much to ask for.

SirHaakon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2007
I don't think asking for a computer with a graphics card is "way too much to ask." The only computer with reasonable graphics Apple offers anymore is the iMac (and even then, they aren't fantastic graphics), and not all of us wish to use those displays.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
As others have mentioned the article is wrong, both the mid level and server model has core i7.

linkgx1

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2011
...not nearly as disgusting as your sense of entitlement. vote with your feet -- go buy something else.

I thought that you vote with your dollar. But I've been wrong before

voting+with+your+feet.jpg

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
This. anyone know? $300 for 16gb is an absolute rip off

Yes it is. As you can see here:

Add memory with a twist.

Mac mini comes with 4GB of fast 1600MHz DDR3 memory. And thanks to a removable bottom panel, it’s easy to add more. Just give it a twist, and you’re in. Pop your new memory into the SO-DIMM slot, and you’re out. Or you can configure your Mac mini with up to 16GB of memory from the start at the Apple Online Store.

http://www.apple.com/mac-mini/features.html#memory

----------

What are you talking about? This supposed to be an upgrade over the previous version. No one is asking for super high end, but simply a better graphics card than the last model. That shouldn't be too much to ask for.

I don't think asking for a computer with a graphics card is "way too much to ask." The only computer with reasonable graphics Apple offers anymore is the iMac (and even then, they aren't fantastic graphics), and not all of us wish to use those displays.

It's faster than the offering before. Deal with it. Crying a bit more should make Apple change everything. Good luck.

http://www.apple.com/mac-mini/features.html#graphics

helmut89

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2012
Wow, just when I was about to replace my garbage 5yr old dell to move to OSX, they downgrade the mini.

Basically they just added USB 3.0 and ivy bridge and all hard drives are 5400rpm. Plus no discrete graphics.

SirHaakon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2007
It's faster than the offering before. Deal with it. Crying a bit more should make Apple change everything. Good luck.

http://www.apple.com/mac-mini/features.html#graphics
Yeah, except that is comparing the new integrated graphics against the old integrated graphics... we're asking for a discrete graphics option (which there used to be, and has since been axed). The new integrated graphics aren't faster than the previous option, which makes it a downgrade. And we're discussing, not crying - which is something you do on, you know, a discussion forum.

I also presented a possible alternative which neither you or anyone else responded to... maybe you could be more productive instead of just being a troll?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.