Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryanstewart

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Hi everybody!

Just want to be totally sure I understand exactly what the differences are between the 3rd and 4th gen iPad that was just released today. As I understand it, the upgrades are:

1. Lightning Connector vs Old 32-Pin Connector
2. A6X Chip vs A5X Chip
3. Wi-Fi connection that is "up to twice as fast as any previous-generation iPad

That's it, yes? Any comments on #3, and how much of a difference that will make? Would we be told if there was any update in RAM, or is that something that will be determined once they hit the market and teardowns begin?

Thanks!

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
Are the dimensions any different at all? Thinner? Different curvature of rear panel?

Trying to figure out if existing cases fit.

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
Is the display changed to IGZO technology, thus making it thinner and lighter? The leaked part photos prior to this event clearly showed a different tapered back.

Has anyone had hands on with this model yet?

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
Think about this with performance:

iPad 2 to iPad 3 = A5 to A5X
iPad 3 to iPad 4 = A5X to A6X

that's a full generational jump instead of half gen jump from the 2 to 3. Also, the lightening connecter is said to improve the stupidly long charging time and the FaceTime HD camera is much needed

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
Major Upgrades are: A6X chip, Facetime HD camera, and by the sounds of it, it has the same dual-band wifi chip as the iPhone 5.

If it has an IGZO screen I will be calling Apple and demanding they replace my iPad 3 which has been returned 9 separate times (last one was swapped out at the Apple store but I just gave up) due to ugly uneven display tints, which my current one still exhibits.

PrayForDeath

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
Are the dimensions any different at all? Thinner? Different curvature of rear panel?

Trying to figure out if existing cases fit.

The dimensions are up on Apple's website. They haven't changed; it's still thicker and heavier than the iPad 2.

Do we know anything on the graphics performance of the A6X compared to A5X?

TheMarc

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2010
Is the display changed to IGZO technology, thus making it thinner and lighter? The leaked part photos prior to this event clearly showed a different tapered back.

Has anyone had hands on with this model yet?

According to the specs on Apple's website, weight and thickness of "3" and "4" are the same.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
I'd totally buy this if it was thinner/lighter. Don't really use my iPad enough to warrant the upgrade. But it's always sad seeing your latest and greatest purchase get outdated :( :p

crackbookpro

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Om nom nom nom
Processor spec bump, camera upgrades, new lightning thingy... that's about it. :eek: No 4th gen in my opinion.

Still glad I have the iPad 2... next iPad better be bumped to 96GB or 128GB with the retina's higher resolution pics/vids/app, etc. putting a constraint on some user's storage.

If the next iPad does not have higher storage capacity, I will be heckling the Apple Support Team. Apple has been getting such cheap 16GB & 32GB flash chips with their contracts with RAM manufacturers, you'd think they start making things better for the consumer as the market/price for 64GB has gone down dramatically.

I want a 128GB iPad in the Spring... (the cloud sucks btw!)

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
They should've called it the 3S

I wanted lighter and thinner :(

Last edited:

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
They should've called it the 4S

I wanted lighter and thinner :(

That'd be the new iPad (3rd generation) S

I agree it should be lighter and thinner, but as a new iPad (3rd generation) owner, I don't mind that mine isn't completely outdated yet. I won't get much for it because of the dent, so I'll keep it for a long time, even if only for Zinio. I'll probably get a mini, but not until it's Retina. That may change when I see one in person, but the website says it has 163 ppi, versus the iPad 2 at 132 ppi, and the new iPad at 264, so I suspect it won't be good enough for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.