Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rkeyser12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
Trying to decide if I should buy the iPad mini or the iPad 2. My only concern is that the iPad mini is too small, what is everyones opinion?

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
Size wise, better than the 7" competition.

It's essentially an 8" screen so without actually handling it, it seems like a sweet spot for something smaller than the normal iPad.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
IMO I dont see the point of a smaller tablet if you have one already at 10.

I for one loooove the size of the normal Ipad. It feels like im reading a magazine or a book etc.

Rob9874

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2010
I agree. I own an iPad 3, and don't think I could go down in size. However, if I were buying one for the first time, I think I wouldn't mind the 8". Fits in one hand, and has 35% more screen area than 7" models. Like comparing 13", 15" and 17" laptops.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
My wife loves her 7" Playbook. I find it too cramped.

So your wife likes them small eh? :p :D

----------

I agree. I own an iPad 3, and don't think I could go down in size. However, if I were buying one for the first time, I think I wouldn't mind the 8". Fits in one hand, and has 35% more screen area than 7" models. Like comparing 13", 15" and 17" laptops.

I actually am debating getting the Mini and get a data plan to replace my iPhone... all I do is iMessage people and I have Talkatone/Google Voice for the very very rare occasion I get a phone call and text people without iPhones.

kfergiez

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2010
Trying to decide if I should buy the iPad mini or the iPad 2. My only concern is that the iPad mini is too small, what is everyones opinion?

You DO know that they make a bigger iPad mini right? It's called the iPad.

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
IMO I dont see the point of a smaller tablet if you have one already at 10.

I for one loooove the size of the normal Ipad. It feels like im reading a magazine or a book etc.

You must have BIG pockets.

I can't fit my normal iPad into any of my jacket pockets, I could fit the Nexus 7 in, but is was a horrible little plastic thing with an awful keyboard and text selection.

For a "in the pocket" tablet to carry in the jacket pocket for reading magazines, websites so on through the day the smaller size of the mini is ideal.

It wouldn't replace my iPad, it will complement it.

rkeyser12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
I should note that I will be using this iPad for school and internet browsing and reading at my house.

cnguyen0320

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2012
Refurb iPad 3 on sale for less than the 2. Even though it is refurb it is hands down the better buy. Have fun

Andrew K.

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
Seriously wait til you can get your hands on it. I feel like a lot of people will change their minds about the iPad mini once the see it in person.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
You must have BIG pockets.

I can't fit my normal iPad into any of my jacket pockets, I could fit the Nexus 7 in, but is was a horrible little plastic thing with an awful keyboard and text selection.

For a "in the pocket" tablet to carry in the jacket pocket for reading magazines, websites so on through the day the smaller size of the mini is ideal.

It wouldn't replace my iPad, it will complement it.

..... never said anything about fitting it into my pocket?
most people only wear jackets a few months out of the year.. so umm not going to buy one just for that.

you must have some rather weak wrists. The ipad 3 feels light to me and isnt a problem to take with me when traveling.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
What's the point of even asking this question? For every valid reason as to why it's too small, you will get an equal number of valid reasons as to why it's just right or too big. Just go handle one and decide for yourself.

JRJbob

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2013
Not happy with mini

I got the Mini but I'm selling it today, taking a loss etc. I have an Ipad 2 and 3 (New Ipad), I am not happy with the decreased screen size honestly and could kick myself. Oh well, live and learn. I do think if you did not have the larger ones already then the Mini is great. However, after the larger & great screens I can't get happy with this Hobbit of an iPad......:)

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
I got the Mini but I'm selling it today, taking a loss etc. I have an Ipad 2 and 3 (New Ipad), I am not happy with the decreased screen size honestly and could kick myself. Oh well, live and learn. I do think if you did not have the larger ones already then the Mini is great. However, after the larger & great screens I can't get happy with this Hobbit of an iPad......:)

There are lots of people who currently or previously owned a full sized iPad, me being one of them, and I think the mini is the most perfect size for my needs.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
You could buy it off the Apple Store and send it back for a refund if it doesn't suit you.

I opted for the maxi as I read a lot of textbooks and I didn't want to squint.

mono1980

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
Lansing, MI
Since the iPad mini is the same resolution as the larger iPad (non-retina), your eyes quickly adjust to the slightly smaller size. When I use mine it's like I'm using a regular iPad. It's not a big deal.

Fed

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Liverpool.
The question of it being too small is entirely subjective.

But I went from an iPad 4 to an iPad Mini. Other than saving in excess of £200, I lost absolutely no function (on the contrary, I'd argue it offers more function). I take it to more places now and my need for a non-work mobile phone has almost entirely vanished. Fantastic product.

omenatarhuri

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2010
Seriously wait til you can get your hands on it. I feel like a lot of people will change their minds about the iPad mini once the see it in person.
I did.

I though it was something I wanted, but since I already have an iPhone 5 and iPad 2 it doesn't seem to offer me much. It's still too big to carry around all the time without a man-bag and yet the screen felt too small in the store in comparison to the bigger iPad. So, yeah, 10" is my preference.

Now I have:
4" (iPhone) - 10" (iPad) - 15" (MBP) - 24"&30" (desktop) - 42" (plasma).

Ugh, too many screens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.