Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fineaddme

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2010
anyone know if the black iPad mini also will have same scratch issues like black iPhone 5?

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
I feel pretty confident that it will.

It is anodized aluminum. I know everyone likes to think Apple came up with some new jee-wis-bang manufacturing process for anodizing aluminum. But they didn't.

Manufacturers have been anodizing aluminum for years and when black anodized aluminum scratched it shows the silver aluminum underneath and it is pretty obvious.

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
Sure it will. It'll be the same anodization process.

My black IP5 just received it's first major blemish (and many minor), almost exactly a month after I got it :(

It's aluminum and black, they are going to look awful.

Let's just hope the scratches OOB issue has been fixed.

Buy AC+ and replace them once 1/2 way through life cycle, and second and final time at the EOL.

Of course with the new, new iPad announcement, who's to know when EOL is gonna be anymore.

justin216

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2004
Tampa, FL
Apple uses aluminum -- then anodize it for the coloration by using dye during the electrolytic process. Aluminum scratches. iPad Mini will scratch. There's no conjecture there.

xofruitcake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
If you put the smart cover on, you won't get any scratch.. Ipad and Iphone are totally different animal. Everyone put their Iphone in the pocket or purse and it has lot of other stuff in the same space so scratching is easier. And Iphone 5 is sold as thinner and lighter, so not have a case is important. But with Ipad mini, everyone use a smartcover (or at least most everyone). And the smart cover will protect the Ipad mini. It is a non-issue for Ipad mini..

Phightinphils

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2012
USA
Good lord. Yes it scratches. Same material as ip5. Ip5 scratches = iPad mini scratches

I've had my 5 for a month now. No scratches yet. As for many others.

----------

If you put the smart cover on, you won't get any scratch.. Ipad and Iphone are totally different animal. Everyone put their Iphone in the pocket or purse and it has lot of other stuff in the same space so scratching is easier. And Iphone 5 is sold as thinner and lighter, so not have a case is important. But with Ipad mini, everyone use a smartcover (or at least most everyone). And the smart cover will protect the Ipad mini. It is a non-issue for Ipad mini..

The Smart Cover doesn't cover the anodized back casing....

Mbman81

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2010
iPad Mini - Scratches consistent w/ iPhone 5?

So what are the odds that the iPad mini, w/ its chamfered edges, is going to come out of box with significant scratches, dents, nicks, etc like we had with iPhone 5? I have not seen any report of it in initial reviews, so it's a good sign...

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
anyone know if the black iPad mini also will have same scratch issues like black iPhone 5?
Yeah, it will scratch - just like the white iPhone 5 and the original iPhone (and the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S' antennaband).

We're talking about metal here. It wouldn't scratch if it was made out of diamand. In such a case, diamond would scratch your furniture/keys/money/etc. (instead of the other way around)

rkabir

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2007
Yes, it scratches.

Mine scratched on day 1. I went in today (after it scratched on Friday) to the Apple store where I bought it - and a genius looked at mine and said that yes, the scratches were from "normal wear and tear" (in just one day!), and that it was enough damage that I couldn't add Apple care to it anymore.

alisterchapman

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2010
Just got mine, opened the packaging and there is a small scratch down one side of the screen bezel. I did not do this, it's come from the factory scratched, it will be going back to apple.

PrayForDeath

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
Mine scratched on day 1. I went in today (after it scratched on Friday) to the Apple store where I bought it - and a genius looked at mine and said that yes, the scratches were from "normal wear and tear" (in just one day!), and that it was enough damage that I couldn't add Apple care to it anymore.

He saved you $100. No point in getting applecare+ on a mini, it's like 30% of the ipad's price.

Word of advice, buy the white version if you're worried about scratches/scuffs.

Hpye

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011

Return it and purchase another one

adamirox

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2012
Yes, it will scratch!!

So I bought the new ipad mini (black) last Friday when it came out. Two days ago I noticed ceriously annoying cratches on the aluminium edges... it was as if the paint had simply peeled off!! I couldn't believe it. I had been taking extra care of my new purchase and it's only been a week! Not to mention my old ipad2 has no scratches and I've had it since april, and been using it at work all the time (I'm an English teacher)

So anyway... today I took it back to the shop where I got it from and luckily I got my money back. There was no chance the scratches were cause by my carelessness! The paint simply looked like it was coming off. I read that the iphone 5 in black has the same problem and that due to this the release was pushed forward. It all makes sense now when you think about it.

I´m currently living in SPain where I got the ipad. Here (at least in my city) there are simply no minis in WHITE yet and no one knows when they are to arrive. Makes sense if u think about it. Apple might be delaying the release of the white one in some countries to get rid of the faulty stock.

Anyway... I'm happy with my scratchless ipad 2 for now (in white) and i am never buying anything black from apple again. Lesson leanrnt!

Stay away from iPad mini in BLACK!

:mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.