Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NunnOtha

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
Indianapolis, IN
Show me innovation in any of the latest Apple products and Ill show you a product that did it first and cheaper. I love premium products but IOS feels like Windows 98 compared to other mobile OS's. iPad mini is a joke, Iphone 5 has LTE and a larger screen but still a joke none-the-less to iphone 4s users and shows nothing but greed during a time that consumers don't think on their own. Latest and greatest is Apple's only key to the market and they have unlocked all the doors. **** Apple!

phobic99

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2008
There are companies, especially ones that make electronic gadgets, that don't love my money?

May I ask where?

Appleseeds

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2012
Show me innovation in any of the latest Apple products and Ill show you a product that did it first and cheaper. I love premium products but IOS feels like Windows 98 compared to other mobile OS's. iPad mini is a joke, Iphone 5 has LTE and a larger screen but still a joke none-the-less to iphone 4s users and shows nothing but greed during a time that consumers don't think on their own. Latest and greatest is Apple's only key to the market and they have unlocked all the doors. **** Apple!

Take your money somewhere else then.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
All companies love money.

But Apple has created a rabid fanbase that will buy high margin electronic products and blindly defend they are superior to anything else out there.

Apple used to innovate. But there is a concerning increase in the amount of minor spec bump updates. Or faster release cycles. Or pretending products don't have issues when they do (suddenly it's ok to admit the iPad 3 was heavy, hot, charged slow, etc)

I don't fault Apple. It's a great spot to be in. I'm sure the chairman of Exxon is jealous. Exxon makes a nickel and people to apeschit. Yet Apple fans cheer when Apple squeezes every last penny they can out of their fans. (Can't wait for the retina mini that's likely already designed and prepped for a March 2013 release)

I like Apple products. I own 7 of them currently. But it feels a whole lot more like a cash grab than innovation these days.

NunnOtha

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
Indianapolis, IN
All companies love money.

But Apple has created a rabid fanbase that will buy high margin electronic products and blindly defend they are superior to anything else out there.

Apple used to innovate. But there is a concerning increase in the amount of minor spec bump updates. Or faster release cycles. Or pretending products don't have issues when they do (suddenly it's ok to admit the iPad 3 was heavy, hot, charged slow, etc)

I don't fault Apple. It's a great spot to be in. I'm sure the chairman of Exxon is jealous. Exxon makes a nickel and people to apeschit. Yet Apple fans cheer when Apple squeezes every last penny they can out of their fans. (Can't wait for the retina mini that's likely already designed and prepped for a March 2013 release)

I like Apple products. I own 7 of them currently. But it feels a whole lot more like a cash grab than innovation these days.

My sentiment exactly. I became an apple fan simply based on the fact that their products were fresh, groundbreaking, and premium in every class. I can't say the same about apple since iPhone 4s was introduced. The fact that they know their are fans that gobble up every reiteration of a product, and use this notion to make products that lack innovation but still sell like hotcakes disgust me and really causes me to want to take my money elsewhere.

Then, to add insult to injury, most people will argue that these products work just as well as the day they bought them and a newer device doesn't change the one you have. This is not true. With every new ios update, expect for that new device of yours to become slightly slower and feature lacking than the latest and greatest. Yes, my Ipad 2 does still work but with ios 6, its definatly not the same iPad i purchased day 1. Apple does this to make your devices seem outdated and after a while, this forces one to upgrade.

Cribbing

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2012
My sentiment exactly. I became an apple fan simply based on the fact that their products were fresh, groundbreaking, and premium in every class. I can't say the same about apple since iPhone 4s was introduced. The fact that they know their are fans that gobble up every reiteration of a product, and use this notion to make products that lack innovation but still sell like hotcakes disgust me and really causes me to want to take my money elsewhere.

Then, to add insult to injury, most people will argue that these products work just as well as the day they bought them and a newer device doesn't change the one you have. This is not true. With every new ios update, expect for that new device of yours to become slightly slower and feature lacking than the latest and greatest. Yes, my Ipad 2 does still work but with ios 6, its definatly not the same iPad i purchased day 1. Apple does this to make your devices seem outdated and after a while, this forces one to upgrade.

Wow...isn't that a load of bs. I would like you to show me proof that your iPad 2 runs slower on iOS 6 than it did in iOS4. I seriously doubt that apple deliberately made the os run slower on older devices. If anything my iPad 2 runs much faster in iOS 6 than it did in 4.

davey1107

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2011
Wow...you're angry. Need to eat more fiber?

'Cause constipation can lead to crankiness.

Innovation in the past year:

1. Retina display on iPad. Fantastic, helped Apple continue to dominate tablet market.

2. The MacBook Pro Retina. Apple has blurred (eliminated?) the line between laptop and desktop. Question of the past 15 years: do I pay for portability at the cost of performance? Question today: what desktop is there that can beat this system?

3. iPhone 5, lighter, thinner, faster, sold in droves.

4. Thunderbolt. Yeah, it's new and just beginning to pop up in devices, but this is going to change a lot we haven't even imagined yet.

5. iPad mini. Not innovative? Just a small version of what you have? Apple lost 25% of the US tablet market last Christmas to machines that were smaller and cheaper. That's about $3 billion in sales. The iPad mini is gonna buy a lot of r&d for future innovation,

6. New iMacs, Mac mini. Yes, a refresh, but it's at least a little innovative to release a $600 system that outperforms my $3000 Mac Pro...which isn't THAT old.

So that's this year. Apple has continued to define how you compute at home...at work...on the go. Yeah, these are all improvements on existing products, but the improvements themselves are delivering innovative enhancements that make these machines better.

But where do they go from there? They own the tablet market (which they created) and they continue to dominate smartphones and MP3 players while gaining ground in the home computer market. But what's the next big thing? Probably integrating home computers and home media centers. Watch this site...an Apple television and/or Apple "cable" box and/or totally different Apple TV will be the next way that this company changes the world.

Hpye

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011

The new iMac incredibly thin screen never see any company has that

ender78

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005

The market is heating up. No one complains when Intel releases new processors in the PC market. As competition increases, the releases of new products get stepped up. All the big players will have to continuously iterate until we consumers tell them enough is enough. Would you prefer they stop innovating? Why limit revisions to one a year. As a consumer, I but the product that meets my needs today. Do you buy a new house every year? Replace your fridge because a new one came out. Gadgets are toys, upgrade them as often as you like.

I've quickly put together a breakdown of release dates for Samsung's flagship S series of phone, see a pattern.

Galaxy S1 - June 2010
Galaxy S2 - May 2011
Galaxy S3 - June 2012
Galaxy S4 - Rumoured March 2012

GUCCIMAN

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
Wow...isn't that a load of bs. I would like you to show me proof that your iPad 2 runs slower on iOS 6 than it did in iOS4. I seriously doubt that apple deliberately made the os run slower on older devices. If anything my iPad 2 runs much faster in iOS 6 than it did in 4.

lol.... i can't believe you seriously think a product doesn't show performance degrade as it gets updated software-wise but remains the same hardware-wise. This isn't a special apple condition specific to apple devices... this is common knowledge.

what of the apps in a few upgrades that require that extra power in the chip to run smoother? If what you're saying is true there would be no need to keep constantly making the internals better with every upgrade as they update the ios :rolleyes:

Apple doesn't just roll things out to look great and new-:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: wait a sec- :D:D:D:D:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth

1. Friction Stir Welding - who else is using it.
2. Plasma Deposition - again who else?
3. Laminated screens
4. Fusion Drive
5. Custom SoC processors that are hand laid out.

Can you top that mutha******

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Have to agree with what you said cause im thinking the same.

Whats so new about Ipad mini apart from the fact that it is a smaller Ipad 2 and no doubt Ipad mini 2 will be a smaller Ipad 3. Soon people will find idevice less intrigue and go for somthing else cheaper and more exciting.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Have to agree with what you said cause im thinking the same.

Whats so new about Ipad mini apart from the fact that it is a smaller Ipad 2 and no doubt Ipad mini 2 will be a smaller Ipad 3. Soon people will find idevice less intrigue and go for somthing else cheaper and more exciting.

www.apple.com/iPad

Each person will pick out unique and beneficial features to solve their own set of problems.

adztaylor

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2009
Preston, UK

Couldn't you have put this I'm one of the other whiney threads? There's plenty of them.

1member1

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2012
Innovation ? you can't innovate every year if you want to make money.. sometimes the world is not ready for new devices and you need a roadmap.

Remember the XP tablet and later the windows 7 tablet that just didn't work out for many years for microsoft. they were innovative right ? they showed us tablet form of their operating system but they could only achieve it in late 2012.

I still think what apple makes today is one of the best devices in every kind.
by the way the other companies tried to innovate but they failed. see nexus Q :)

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Let me see if I can translate. Ahem.

ERMAHGERD! DER LATEST APPLE HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE DERSN'T MAKE ME ALL HERRPY.

Seriously, what do you want each year? Please find a tablet with the resolution of the iPad. I know, you can't. Complain all you want about the iPad mini, but it's pretty good for the price. I'm sure Apple could've made the resolution better, but it was likely more important to have 275,000 apps ready to go instead of segmenting resolution even more.

If you don't like iPads, don't buy one. If you need to be inspired more, go to church or something.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
2. The MacBook Pro Retina. Apple has blurred (eliminated?) the line between laptop and desktop. Question of the past 15 years: do I pay for portability at the cost of performance? Question today: what desktop is there that can beat this system?
This isn't Apple's doing. The i5, i7 range work great on mid-range desktop and high-end laptop. Mobile graphics processors are getting better (that said, the best mobile GPU pulls around 7,000 on 3DMark, the best consumer desktop GPU pulls 17,000). There is still a huge difference. Just because Apple don't make powerful desktops any more doesn't mean nobody else does.

6. New iMacs, Mac mini. Yes, a refresh, but it's at least a little innovative to release a $600 system that outperforms my $3000 Mac Pro...which isn't THAT old.
Welcome to the world of computers :).
My 2011 27" iMac is already outperformed by the new Macbook (although not in graphics performance).

----
There does seem to be a shift towards mobile computing. That's where all the innovations currently lie. When I got into Apple (2003ish) it was a really exciting time for MP3 players, for laptops, for desktops. I guess the innovations there are slowing down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.