Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

msimpson

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
Hot Wheels vs Sexy

756468.jpg

avro707

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 13, 2010
Unfortunately we don't get to find out what the powertrain is, they are leaving that until next year when the production model launches, but Washington Post has revealed more:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/cars/...697a7e-08c6-11e2-9eea-333857f6a7bd_story.html

Key points:

- Drag CD is 0.34
- Lowest frontal area of any car in class
- 1320lbs downforce at 125mph
- DRS system (drag reduction system) for rear-wing
- 3.7 pounds or less per horsepower
- two underbody flaps at the front, operating in 0-60° range
- Rear wing angle car go up to 29°
- Rear wing extends by 120mm on the road
- Rear wing extends by up to 300mm on the race-track
- The orange show car had slick tyres on it
- Variable ride-height. The media pictures showed the car in the "race" setting
- The top air-intake for the engine is part of the carbon-fibre monocell.
- The engine bay is lined with gold again(!)

Unlike F1 DRS implementations, the flaps on the wing don't move, but the entire rear wing angle changes to reduce the drag and downforce generation by the rear wing. The engine bay appears to be lined with gold again, so we can guess that the engine and exhaust makes an awful lot of heat, just like the old F1 did.

From the photos at the Paris motorshow, there are clear influences on this car from contemporary F1 technology. So that's all they are revealing until next year, unless someone breaks some media embargoes.

Last edited:

neilmacd

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2010
UK
There is a McLaren F1 team member on a forum I visit who when asked if we'll ever see the P1 in competition said something along the lines of "If it's (a system) banned (from competition), it's on the car". Therefore unlikely to see it race but think of all the technology hidden away under that body!

avro707

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 13, 2010
There is a McLaren F1 team member on a forum I visit who when asked if we'll ever see the P1 in competition said something along the lines of "If it's (a system) banned (from competition), it's on the car". Therefore unlikely to see it race but think of all the technology hidden away under that body!

That's the great thing with these new generation super-cars. Ferrari and McLaren are throwing everything at them. The Ferrari is amazing, it's the size of a 458 Italia and it's got a whacking big 6.3L V12 jammed in the back of it, with electric assistance to help it. :eek:

Great images of the engine and the Magneti-Marelli magic boxes:

http://www.inautonews.com/ferrari-f...es/ferrari-f70-engine-official-6#.UH00O4WLFt5

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
This is the only McLaren I would ever want:

Specialized teamed up with McLaren to come up with the lightest, most aerodynamic, and very stiff race bike frame. I think it's sub 900g. It's called the McLaren Venge.

You can keep the Venge..

This is what I ride no better bike made IMHO

Attachments

• Serotta.jpg
    Serotta.jpg
    780.1 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

Theadamh123

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2011
UK
Another rumour points to the prototype lapping Silverstone race circuit in Northhamptonshire, England some 25 seconds faster than any other road-car.

Thats impossible! Theres no way it would be quicker than an atom V8!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    565.5 KB · Views: 60

avro707

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 13, 2010
Thats impossible! Theres no way it would be quicker than an atom V8!

Silverstone is a top speed and horsepower circuit with lots of really long straights and high speed corners.

A car with lots of downforce, big grippy tyres, low frontal area, double-diffusers and other tricks has a really good chance of doing it around there.

We'll see anyway - there is a long way to go yet and they've not told us a lot about the car. But we did get that launch at Paris with Kasabian blasting away at high volume, with a Jaguar F-Type nearby and a new Range Rover not far away either. The Brits took over that show. :p

Speaking of the F-Type, I had a look at an F-Type S last night, it's very impressive. The interior is beautifully crafted and also quite spacious. But my heart belongs to the Lamborghini Sesto Elemento, which they very kindly let me crawl around and get inside it. :eek: If it looks crazy outside, it's even more crazy inside. :D

Theadamh123

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2011
UK
Silverstone is a top speed and horsepower circuit with lots of really long straights and high speed corners.

A car with lots of downforce, big grippy tyres, low frontal area, double-diffusers and other tricks has a really good chance of doing it around there.

We'll see anyway - there is a long way to go yet and they've not told us a lot about the car. But we did get that launch at Paris with Kasabian blasting away at high volume, with a Jaguar F-Type nearby and a new Range Rover not far away either. The Brits took over that show. :p

Speaking of the F-Type, I had a look at an F-Type S last night, it's very impressive. The interior is beautifully crafted and also quite spacious. But my heart belongs to the Lamborghini Sesto Elemento, which they very kindly let me crawl around and get inside it. :eek: If it looks crazy outside, it's even more
crazy inside. :D
True but not 25 secs qucker, that about the difference bettween a fiesta and a audi R8

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I still can't believe they're selling quarter million dollar cars. How many people can buy these toys, really?

Enough to make it worth it. Ask the hucksters that created this retched economy what they drive. (All should be under lock and key IMO, only able to drive a tri-cycle, if they are lucky)

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Check out the a$$ on that girl...DAMN.

LMAO! Man I was thinking the same thing! Its a bit too humpback whale type a$$ for my liking. Bubble, Apple, heartshaped is my thing.

And the Porsche part of the new supercar battle has been revealed too:

http://www.9magazine.com/918-spyder-production-version-factory-brochure-leaked.html

So, 7m:14sec lap of the Nurburgring, 4.6L V8 with 426kW, and with the two electric motors, this increases to 585kW. So it would appear to be not as fast as the McLaren (by the rumours), but it certainly looks the part, especially with the retro Porsche-Salzburg (the 917 team ran by Louisa Piech) and Martini team liveries.

Now we await the launch of the Ferrari (the "F70" prototype seen driving around Maranello) and the Jaguar C-X75, a 1.6L 500hp 4 cylinder turbo/supercharged car with electric assistance of unknown power.

I'd take this 918 Spyder over ANYTHING hands down. A generator for an eletric motor; fascinating.

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
A generator for an electric motor; fascinating.

This made me smile. :)

Just last week, an old friend (83) mentioned an old car (?) that used to have a starter/generator on a chain drive around the flywheel. He said you could barely hear it start, unlike the mechanical oddity that is still used today.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Now we await the launch of the.... and the Jaguar C-X75, a 1.6L 500hp 4 cylinder turbo/supercharged car with electric assistance of unknown power.

Not anymore, Jaguar have just axed it. Didn't they learn anything from the farcical XJ220 debacle...?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.