Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iEnvy

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
DFW
Samsung isn't like GM. Samsung is more like the Royal Family of Russia.

Samsung controls EVERYTHING in Korea, especially, politicians, the court, media, press(news papers), and you name it.

Samsung owner's family (found and president of Samsung group) is invincible.

Have you watched American TV show called, Nikita? In the show, there's a fictional corporation of Russia that controls everything is Russia, and even having some of American politicians in their hands.

Samsung is very like it. Samsung is not a small Asian company. Samsung electronics that make Galaxy handsets is just a small part of giant Samsung Group. The Samsung Group is 10x bigger than Apple, MS, and Google.

I'm not kidding. Did you know Samsung builds missile, bombs, and tanks? Yes. Samsung has a government military contraction. They build weapons, ships, and possess oil company.

As a Korean, I feel it's silly when foreign people (especially Americans..) think Apple is to blame and Samsung is a victim.

They have no idea what Samsung is.

Samsung is not a company, They are government. They rule Korea.

^This guy isn't joking. Just check out Samsung's wikipedia page. Don't be ignorant.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest

Samsung controls EVERYTHING in Korea, especially, politicians, the court, media, press(news papers), and you name it.

Have you watched American TV show called, Nikita? In the show, there's a fictional corporation of Russia that controls everything is Russia, and even having some of American politicians in their hands.

Samsung is very like it. Samsung is not a small Asian company. Samsung electronics that make Galaxy handsets is just a small part of giant Samsung Group. The Samsung Group is 10x bigger than Apple, MS, and Google.

I'm not kidding. Did you know Samsung builds missile, bombs, and tanks? Yes. Samsung has a government military contraction. They build weapons, ships, and possess oil company.

As a Korean, I feel it's silly when foreign people (especially Americans..) think Apple is to blame and Samsung is a victim.

Talk about hyperbola.

Yes Samsung Group is big, for a collection of corporations.

No it is not 10x bigger than Apple, Google and MS combined.

South Korea's GDP by Nation is roughly $1.2-$1.5 Trillion.

The GDP of Apple, Google and Microsoft is roughly: $270-$300 Billion in Yearly Revenues.

Samsung Group would need to be nearly double the GDP of South Korea to match your claims.

Give it a rest.

Archer1440

Suspended
Mar 10, 2012
USA
Blue light special on tin foil, aisle 3.

You're showing your total ignorance of Korean culture. This is one of the few times on MR when the circumstance isn't exaggerated in the slightest.

I know the vice-chairman of Hyundai, Chung Eui-sun, personally. Hyundai is smaller than Samsung, and even these people are practically their own nation-state.

Samsung Electronics is but one facet of the conglomerate- there is Samsung Defense (a huge arms maker), Samsung Construction, Samsung Heavy Industries (one of the world's largest shipbulders, second only to Hyundai) - it would be the 32nd biggest economy in the world, as a country.

Last edited:

recharge23

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2012
Seoul, South Korea
I think a lot of people are underestimating how much oriental countries value 'pride' and 'honour'.

Samsung is the General Motors of South Korea. When Apple goes around denigrating the name of the national conglomerate, it is obvious that the Koreans aren't going to like it one iota. Mr. Oh is just a victim of circumstance.

did you really just use the word "oriental"? wow.

and lex yu is pretty much spot on.

ArchAndroid

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
London, England

and lex yu is pretty much spot on.

Okay, in the UK, we use 'oriental' to mean 'eastern' or 'from the east'.

From your reaction, I imagined I must have said something rude. I typed it into Spotlight and read this at the bottom of the dictionary page:

USAGE The term Oriental, denoting a person from the Far East, is regarded as offensive by many Asians, esp. Asian Americans. It has many associations with European imperialism in Asia. Therefore, it has an out-of-date feel and tends to be associated with a rather offensive stereotype of the people and their customs as inscrutable and exotic. Asian and more specific terms such as East Asian, Chinese, and Japanese are preferred.

Obviously, I had no idea of this and wasn't trying to offend anyone or imply anything, I was just using the word as a geographical term, without racial connotation.

zeromeus

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2008
SOCAL
Did ANYONE see the word COMBINED in the original post? Didn't!

Talk about hyperbola.

Yes Samsung Group is big, for a collection of corporations.

No it is not 10x bigger than Apple, Google and MS combined.

South Korea's GDP by Nation is roughly $1.2-$1.5 Trillion.

The GDP of Apple, Google and Microsoft is roughly: $270-$300 Billion in Yearly Revenues.

Samsung Group would need to be nearly double the GDP of South Korea to match your claims.

Give it a rest.

recharge23

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2012
Seoul, South Korea
Okay, in the UK, we use 'oriental' to mean 'eastern' or 'from the east'.

From your reaction, I imagined I must have said something rude. I typed it into Spotlight and read this at the bottom of the dictionary page:

Obviously, I had no idea of this and wasn't trying to offend anyone or imply anything, I was just using the word as a geographical term, without racial connotation.

okay. well, now that you know, hopefully you'll refrain from using it in the future. :cool:

Verbatim Cookie

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2012
"Apple terminated the contract with Oh last week," Apple spokesman Steve Park said by telephone, late Tuesday.

"We acknowledge that there are many speculations surrounding Oh's contract termination. But we can't do more, it's just a simple fact," Park said.
What more does Apple wish it could do? Terminate Mr. Oh himself, not just his contract?

Talk about hyperbola.
Hyperbole :)

Mac'em X

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2003
Japan
I think not

I think a lot of people are underestimating how much oriental countries value 'pride' and 'honour'.

Whereas I, here in my home in "the Orient", am always amused by adoration for the Hollywoodesque meme of Asians obsessed with "pride" and "honor". (Ooh, don't forget "face"! Complete the trifecta! :) ) As if the rest of the world somehow doesn't appreciate and feel and react to these same things.

But that's all quite a tangent; sorry. Back to Macs and Apple news and what not.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina

Yep I heard that Samsung also sells life insurance in Korea. And also manufactures certain hardware (military ordinance) for the South Korean military. This ordinance includes a machine-gun armed military sentry robot.

This is why Apple cannot ever expect to eclipse or "win" over Samsung in the Asian market. Samsung is simply too powerful, and the source of Samsung's power is 100% subsidized by the Republic of South Korea.

And as far the Asian market is concerned, Samsung has already given the victorious beatdown on the largest "local" Asian competitors -- such as Sony.

Apple, on the other hand, rarely gets any love or support from the US Government. If anything, the US Government always tries to cripple American businesses and tries harder and harder to tax them to death.

fpsBeaTt

Suspended
Apr 18, 2010
t_george_takei__ohmy_169.jpg

Had to :apple:

macs4nw

macrumors 601
I think a lot of people are underestimating how much oriental countries value 'pride' and 'honour'. Samsung is the General Motors of South Korea. When Apple goes around denigrating the name of the national conglomerate, it is obvious that the Koreans aren't going to like it one iota. Mr. Oh is just a victim of circumstance.

Are you implying that he wasn't putting his best foot forward for APPLE, because of being surrounded by negative public opinion against his employer?

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
Stop it, your scaring me. This is 'South' Korea right? :D

I think so, but according to the Australians during the Olympics, they are "The 'Good' Koreans" (you know, as opposed to those other ones).

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
There goes the source of all the Apple leaks.

Guess Tim was right when he said they would double down o nsecurity! LMAO

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003

*Sigh*. This kind of stuff is so childish.

It's not a dirty word. It's just been considered inappropriate in the US to refer to people with that term. The preferred term for people is Asian but places, food, cultural things can all still be described with either.

recharge23

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2012
Seoul, South Korea
*Sigh*. This kind of stuff is so childish.

It's not a dirty word. It's just been considered inappropriate in the US to refer to people with that term. The preferred term for people is Asian but places, food, cultural things can all still be described with either.

a bit off topic so i apologize in advance.

you're right, it's not a dirty word but it is inappropriate or offensive to some degree, at least in my opinion. the person above didn't know that and explained himself/herself, to which i completely understand.

for me, the preferred term is always asian, even for places, food or culture. i can't imagine someone asking me "are you from an oriental country?" or "is kimchi an oriental food or just korean?" or "is bowing an oriental custom?"

anyways, back to the original topic, as a korean-american living in seoul, i would not be surprised at all if there was some sort of foul play involved.

hindmost

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2009
I don't know what connection your screen name has to your real name, but isn't Yu a Chinese last name?

Although Kim, Lee and Park are by far the most popular Korean surnames there are others including 'Yu'. Pronouncing Korean names in English can become problematic as the variations are numerous including South or North dialects.

kokako

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
rumor was they removed him -as he was getting kickbacks from selling secrets to his brother in law who works for Samsung in Korea.

don't quote me on that but I have a friend that knows a friend of a sister of a girl that is having an affair with him this month.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.