Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samdev

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
Since nobody is making extra long Lightning to USB cables yet, since the Lightning cable has a special chip inside it,
the next best thing is to buy a USB 2.0 extension cable.

Would like to know what brands work well with iPod Touch 5G.
Cable needs to be at least 6 feet long.

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
Since nobody is making extra long Lightning to USB cables yet, since the Lightning cable has a special chip inside it,
the next best thing is to buy a USB 2.0 extension cable.

Would like to know what brands work well with iPod Touch 5G.
Cable needs to be at least 6 feet long.

Why not just buy the 10W USB power adapter, plug it into an extension cord, and plug your Lightning cable into the USB on the adapter?

I've been charging my touch 5G using the power adapter from my iPad 2. Works perfectly.

samdev

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
Why not just buy the 10W USB power adapter, plug it into an extension cord, and plug your Lightning cable into the USB on the adapter?

I guess I didn't make myself clear enough. I need the iPod Touch 5G connected to my computer.
The 10W USB power adapter only allows charging from an electrical outlet. My purpose is
not solely for charging.

samdev

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
Yes, I did misunderstand what you were looking for.

Try Amazon. They have lots of them, some 16 feet long.

The point of my post is to ask people who already are using a USB extension cable with their iPhone5/iPod Touch 5G
Lightning cable. Does it work well, if so, what brand are you using.

You may assume USB is USB, so any old cable will work, but every brand is made with different quality
in terms of shielding, gauge, and wiring, etc... It may mean the different between working and not
working at all.

And I don't want a cable over 10 feet long. The longer the cable, the weaker the signal.
6 feet in total length is better.

Thetonyk123

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2011
Earth
I sometimes use multiple USB extenders with my iPod touch 4. They are fine except when you connect more then 5 of them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.