Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
These updates are too late! I edit at the 5th largest network in the U.S. We used to be 50% Avid 50% FCP. Ever since Apple stopped supporting FCP 7 and came out with FCP X, the network got rid of all FCP stations and it is now 100% Avid.

Yeap, where I work we are using FCP 7 and we will have to switch eventually but it will be to AVID. Using FCPX is very risky since Apple is a consumer electronics company now.

What about if they drop the Mac Pros? we would have to use PCs then but running AVID at least.

It is different to use a software for yourself than ruining a company and several individuals on it.

Mr-Stabby

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2004
Using FCPX is very risky since Apple is a consumer electronics company now.

See, i can't get that feeling out of my head. But at the same time a consumer electronics company would not add native editing support for a camera that costs over $20,000 just for the body in a free update. Mixed messages yes, but you cannot dismiss FCPX if they're constantly adding professional features like this. Not to mention all the features solely used by professionals it already has.

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
I´m first and for most a DP/cameraman, but I do edit as well. After I got my RED EPIC 18 months ago, I was kind of forced into using Premiere and bought the whole suite for a big project, just to be able to edit R3D files natively.
I had just bought FCX 2 months prior and did one small project with it and quite liked it. Premiere is ok, but I´m very excited to dive back into FCX again.

I only edited briefly on Avid 8 years ago, and I don´t have the time or the will or the need to learn it properly, so this FCX update is great for me

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
The thing is that in corporate world people will use what they feel easy. FCPX is an experimental application and in the way it was introduced was totally wrong. Is like if you are a genius but came to the job interview farting.

You can use FCPX as an individual, for your won stuff. But when it comes to deal with 10 different people everybody complains and everybody has their way to do things and they will go with what they feel safe many times even if they are wrong.

Today for example, I had to show to the people in my company who to mix audio, it was impossible, everybody wanted to do it in their own way, I am the only graduated audio engineer with 20 years of experience but they have their reasons and their experience, I am not going to fight them, I show my point.

Now, imagine offering FCPX, a software that is so experimental to people whose jobs relay on it. FORGET IT!

It is not the software, is the corporate environment Apple didn't understood.

Macist

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2009
FCPX is, as an editing experience, the greatest NLE ever. It's just a joy. It's a shame the silly way in which is was launched still has people believing it 'sucks'.

It needs smoother round-trip integration with key third party tools but it's overall a brilliant piece of work that in some regards makes other editors look old-fashioned.

I'll say again Apple should make a semi-autonomous pro and business division that gives roadmaps and talks to pro users. Put in a manager that only cares about pros and pros alone and doesn't have to worry about iStuff. This would settle nerves.

Even if the pro market is small for Apple compared to iStuff it builds the ecosystem and provides a halo effect. Having key content creators 'use Apple' is a great advert for the brand.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Apple never once uses the Mac Pro to show off their most hardware intensive application. [...]
Rant over.

Probably because a MBP fits a screenshot a lot better than a Mac Pro tower and Cinema Display. And also because Final Cut Pro X is being pitched as something you can take on the set.

And regarding the video cards, look. Most pro customers don't care about the video card as long as it drives big monitors. And the ones that do are buying Quadros. The market segment of guys buying a Mac Pro just to play games on is probably pretty small. And by the way, the 5770 was not a "low-end" card when it was released, it was their mid-range card, and at the time it was fairly powerful.

Having said that, I'm not exactly an Apple defender on this topic. An all-new Mac Pro should have been released today, not in 2013. And we don't even know if 2013 will be our salvation or our damnation. I'm still using a four year-old Mac Pro because there's no viable alternative in the Mac lineup. It's not going to suffice much longer. And us Logic Pro users are still waiting for any peep about Logic Pro 10. Who knows when that will arrive.

Tim needs to stop wasting time "doubling down" on secrecy and start doubling down on pro customers. Even the enterprise/server market got more love today than us!

mediacomposer

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
Boston, MA
I worked at Avid when FCX was released... I've never seen a company so collectively happy... That was the day I knew Apple gave up on Pro software.

Have fun with your iMovie Pro though... at least it's updated.

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
I worked at Avid when FCX was released... I've never seen a company so collectively happy... That was the day I knew Apple gave up on Pro software.

Shame they didn´t manage to capitalize on it though.
Guess the guys at Avid are happy about anything that can help their company. Did you see their last earnings result and warning about 200 jobs lost?
HAve fun with Avid, at least they are still in business ;-)

Last edited:

tinmancactus

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2012
This just isn't true. There are a lot of places still using v7. I haven't seen any post houses switch because they're not angry fanboys who switch sides. v7 still works for whatever workflow people were using a year ago.

FCPX still has a ways to go before it gets more consideration, but it is getting a lot closer. Perhaps in another year.

I guess what I meant was they are giving away their market when everyone comes around to upgrading. Nothing at all wrong with FCP 7, of course it will continue to work but with the new direction for FCP X it seems very unlikely that it will be used for professional work. This is an industry that is constantly changing and it's only a matter of time until the new formats and standards we are using will not be those supported by FCP 7.

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
This has been handled very badly be Apple, they have effectively given away the pro market they had to Adobe and Avid and that isn't going to come back any time soon if ever. This should have been the first release of Final Cut Pro X if they had any hope of keeping the market share they had or of increasing it. It's a real shame.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
FCPX is, as an editing experience, the greatest NLE ever. It's just a joy. It's a shame the silly way in which is was launched still has people believing it 'sucks'.

It needs smoother round-trip integration with key third party tools but it's overall a brilliant piece of work that in some regards makes other editors look old-fashioned.

I'll say again Apple should make a semi-autonomous pro and business division that gives roadmaps and talks to pro users. Put in a manager that only cares about pros and pros alone and doesn't have to worry about iStuff. This would settle nerves.

Even if the pro market is small for Apple compared to iStuff it builds the ecosystem and provides a halo effect. Having key content creators 'use Apple' is a great advert for the brand.
I will quote this post simply cause I agree. I am no video editing expert. But it does not make sense for people to leave FC7 to avid or PP just cause they hate FCPX. I think most professional studios would still be evaluating their options. And seeing what is most cost effective for them. (And yes time learning a new system is money).

I have used FCPX though. Totally overkill for the non professional stuff I have done. But it is really that good.

trunten

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2007
I'm interested to see the DVD export options. Would love a good replacement of Encore, if they can come up with a great app or extension with equal power. Chapter markers seem to foreshadow that.

Except apple removed disc drives on everything :( - as you can see I'm hurting from that

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Unfortunately the only people who will be talking are here on MR. No one at Apple is talking about the Mac Pro. :mad:

The MacProld is a friggin' shame next to all these other Macs. It's still a fast machine compared to anything else on their line up, but it is housed with last decades interfaces. wtf is that about?

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
I really can't be bothered to keep trying out the new FCP X each time they add features to decide whether it's worth using. I'm sure it will eventually become great, since they invested so much money into it, but some things annoyed me so much (horribly bad performance, slow and laggy, background save and rendering doing stuff without you knowing, the way it organizes projects and events, etc…) that I went back to Premiere Pro, which at its current CS6 version is so fast and easy to use that I don't really see why I need anything better.

I understand how FCP X makes certain tasks easier and more cool, but the whole "we automatically do stuff for you without you knowing" concept just doesn't work for me.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Didn't Apple give up FC Server edition? They seemed to have dropped the Mac Pro. Xserver has been gone for a while.

Looks like Apple left the pro-market for good. FCX seems to be geared for small business users in the entertainment industry.

BlueParadox

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
Melbourne, Australia

Is this the same Avid Technology that's just announced a loss and drop in revenue for the 3rd quarter? Indeed, a 'collective happy' bunch, for sure.

And with FCPX, if all you see is iMovie pro then the pity's on you. Like driving a Lamborghini in second gear and complaining it's too slow...

pwhitehead

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2011
new jersey
NO! The biggest thing i want taken away is the background rendering.. Eliminate being forced to save capture scratches to the movies folder! I can go on and on..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.