Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:55 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

'iPad Mini' Cases Accompanied by Sketchy Drawings

ThinkiOS reports (via 9to5Mac) that it has received a pair of drawings claimed to be of the "iPad mini" from a source in China.

The drawings are rather simplistic in nature, and several other inconsistencies make it difficult to believe that they are genuine drawings based on the actual design of the rumored product. The most glaring inconsistency is the aspect ratio of the display on the drawing, which we estimate at very close to 1.40. The iPad mini has been rumored to be adopting the same resolution as the non-Retina iPad, which uses an aspect ratio of 1.33.

Overall, the drawings show the size of the iPad mini at 200 mm by 135 mm, with a thickness of 7.3 mm. This compares to the 241 mm by 186 mm size of the current iPad models, with the third-generation iPad measuring 9.4 mm thick and the iPad 2 measuring 8.8 mm thick.

ThinkiOS claims that the iPad mini carries a 7-inch display, although our counting of the pixels when scaled to the stated measurement of the device yields a display of roughly 7.8 inches, closer to the 7.85-inch display that has been rumored for some time.

Earlier this week, another case maker's model of the rumored iPad mini surfaced, with pixel counts of the photos estimating the device's size at a slightly larger 213 mm by 143 mm.

Unlike the earlier photos, however, the new drawings surfacing today are accompanied by photos of cases that are actually being produced based on the design. The cases are being manufactured by Fullhull, a case company based in Shenzhen, China where Apple's manufacturing partner Foxconn has major assembly facilities.

Case manufacturers have become increasingly willing to begin production on cases for rumored products based on speculation and leaks, hoping to benefit by being among the first to hit the market following the actual launch. But as was seen last year with the tapered iPhone design for which numerous cases were circulating, those bets do not always pay off.

Article Link: 'iPad Mini' Cases Accompanied by Sketchy Drawings
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2012, 12:01 PM   #2
LimeiBook86
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to LimeiBook86 Send a message via MSN to LimeiBook86 Send a message via Yahoo to LimeiBook86
It's hard to tell of course if this is legit or not, but a smaller iPad may be a fun product to have for those that want a smaller version of an iPad, but not something as small as an iPhone. If priced right it would take a big bite out of the smaller tablets out there.
LimeiBook86 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2012, 12:10 PM   #3
animefx
macrumors regular

If these are legitimate drawings of the real deal then it looks like it would be difficult to hold in portrait model. There is no enough bezel on the sides to rest your thumbs.

It's for phones because we can grip the entire phone with one hand but that's not possible even with a smaller tablet so there needs to be an ample amount of bezel on the edges. The current iPad could shave 1mm on each side it still have enough room to grip but more than that would be an ergonomic nightmare.
animefx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2012, 12:18 PM   #4
charlituna
macrumors 604

I'm going to laugh my ass off when Sept rolls around and Tim shows off the iPhone (6th Gen) that looks exactly like the 4 and 4s, a 5.5 inch revamped iPod Touch and both no 'real' Apple TV or an iPad Mini.

Then when Oct rolls around and there's a new Mac Mini and iMacs (including a high end 27 inch retina) that look more or less the same (that high end might be ODD free and thinner but the rest the same), new Cinema displays with HDMI input. No iPad Mini, no 'real' Apple TV

and then March with the iPad 4th Gen, no mini. but of course rumors of one and an 'better' iPad 4th gen will kick up within two weeks 'for the fall' and so on
charlituna is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2012, 12:30 PM   #5
Buckeyestar
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimeiBook86 View Post
It's hard to tell of course if this is legit or not, but a smaller iPad may be a fun product to have for those that want a smaller version of an iPad, but not something as small as an iPhone. If priced right it would take a big bite out of the smaller tablets out there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by animefx View Post
If these are legitimate drawings of the real deal then it looks like it would be difficult to hold in portrait model. There is no enough bezel on the sides to rest your thumbs.

It's for phones because we can grip the entire phone with one hand but that's not possible even with a smaller tablet so there needs to be an ample amount of bezel on the edges. The current iPad could shave 1mm on each side it still have enough room to grip but more than that would be an ergonomic nightmare.
I don't know about anyone else, but I don't usually hold my iPad with my thumbs. I find it far more comfortable to sort of cradle it in my hands, with my fingers supporting it underneath and the sides lightly pressing into my palms.
Buckeyestar is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2012, 12:54 PM   #6
Mad Mac Maniac
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
The most glaring inconsistency is the aspect ratio of the display on the drawing, which we estimate at very close to 1.40. The iPad mini has been rumored to be adopting the same resolution as the non-Retina iPad, which uses an aspect ratio of 1.33.
*yawn* this single fact alone disproves the entire thing.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 01:25 PM   #7
ConnYoungy
macrumors regular

Why does this make the iOS page yet sketchy rumours of an iPad mini are on the front page? Sometimes i'm baffled by which page they put things on...
ConnYoungy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2012, 01:30 PM   #8
MacAgnostic
macrumors regular

Quote:
Overall, the drawings show the size of the iPad mini at 200 mm by 135 mm, with a thickness of 7.3 mm. This compares to the 241 mm by 186 mm size of the current iPad models, with the third-generation iPad measuring 9.4 mm thick and the iPad 2 measuring 8.8 mm thick.

Earlier this week, another case maker's model of the rumored iPad mini surfaced, with pixel counts of the photos estimating the device's size at a slightly larger 213 mm by 143 mm.
That estimation was wrong; with those dimensions the top and bottom bezel would be about 5mm greater than the iPad.

Yesterday I performed a perspective correction on that photo, did the math and arrived at dimensions of about 204mm x 137mm; that is fairly close to this drawing.
MacAgnostic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2012, 05:30 PM   #9
PerfectDB
macrumors regular

As much as an iPad Mini makes sense, I think we should wait to see some actual parts leak before assuming this thing really exists, otherwise it's the 'iPhone 5' redesign fiasco all over again.
PerfectDB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2012, 06:49 PM   #10
Xtremehkr
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Case manufacturers have become increasingly willing to begin production on cases for rumored products based on speculation and leaks, hoping to benefit by being among the first to hit the market following the actual launch.
When people are willing to pay $20 - $40 for a $0.30 piece of silicon it's worth it to be first to market.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 07:16 PM   #11
na1577
macrumors 6502a

Lots of rumors, sketches, and cases, but no actual evidence. This sounds like a repeat of the tapered "iPhone 5" fiasco from last year.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:18 PM   #12
MacAgnostic
macrumors regular

Quote:
The most glaring inconsistency is the aspect ratio of the display on the drawing, which we estimate at very close to 1.40. The iPad mini has been rumored to be adopting the same resolution as the non-Retina iPad, which uses an aspect ratio of 1.33.
ThinkiOS claims that the iPad mini carries a 7-inch display, although our counting of the pixels when scaled to the stated measurement of the device yields a display of roughly 7.8 inches, closer to the 7.85-inch display that has been rumored for some time.
Here's what it would look like with a 7.85" 4:3 display.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ipad mini diagram.png
Views:	63
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	347805  
MacAgnostic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2012, 12:55 PM   #13
topocalypse
macrumors member

Send a message via MSN to topocalypse Send a message via Skype™ to topocalypse
I personally think there is almost zero chance of the mini iPad coming out. I think they will introduce iPhone five with bigger screen. I want there to be a mini iPad but you know, apple prolly won't do it. I wanna sell my first iPad and buy mini iPad but I feel that they prolly won't be one so I got to live with this slow and lackluster iPad damn. It's only good for viewing photos, everything else just seems so slow and always crashes.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 03:09 PM   #14
brewno
macrumors 6502

Send a message via MSN to brewno Send a message via Skype™ to brewno
iPad Mini is a must for me, I spend at least 1h/day on the metro and the iPad is just too big to carry. Not very discrete. The iPad Mini would be perfect for reading.

MacBook Pro 2.9GHz i7, iPad Mini 64Gb, iPhone 5S 64Gb, iPod 60Gb, iPod Hi-Fi, Apple TV 40Gb
brewno is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2012, 03:20 PM   #15
iGiselle2
macrumors newbie

To be honest, it's an IPAD. Why do you want to make an iPad smaller? What's the point? It's a pad. Pads are big. So therefore, why does apple want to make a huge iPod touch which it already is. I hope they don't make this because the iPad is known for being big. I love apple but, please no iPad mini.
iGiselle2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2012, 07:07 AM   #16
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

I think it's a safe bet at this stage that Apple is gearing up with an iPad Mini, but if it's priced to compete with the Kindle & Nexus 7 (so anywhere between $199-299) one does wonder what on earth are they going to do with the iPod Touch which will then seem very expensive.....

Will the iPod Mini replace the iPod Touch, or will they decrease the price of the touch to compensate ?

I'd actually like an iPad Mini solely for books, my new iPad is still a little too heavy for sustained reading durations, but a mini would suit that down to the ground. The only issue stopping me buying one would be the lack of Retina Display. After reading with the new iPad, going back to iPad 2 resolution is a massive drop. I realise with the size of the device the DPI will be higher than iPad 2, but still no where near as close as Retina.
MacRumorUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2012, 05:52 PM   #17
inscrewtable
macrumors 6502a

If this was a good idea, Apple would have already done it and the nexus would be following.
inscrewtable is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2012, 06:39 PM   #18
golf1410
macrumors 6502a

It seem to be many Apple products will come out this 4th quarter. Apple TV, MacBook Pro 13" with retina, iPad mini, iPhone 5th, refresh iMac?, iPod.

There is a slightly different between hope, believe, and realistic?
golf1410 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2012, 04:53 PM   #19
lovemyapple
macrumors newbie

An iPad mini just doesn't sound like apple to me...I mean I know a lot has changed since Steve passed away, but it just seems like something they won't do. If they do I'm sure it'll be different than what we think.
lovemyapple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 03:13 PM   #20
BigHonkingDeal
macrumors 6502

It's a good idea..... I just got a Nexus 7 and will be the first in line for an iPad mini even though I love my iPad 3.

Different tools for different tasks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inscrewtable View Post
If this was a good idea, Apple would have already done it and the nexus would be following.
BigHonkingDeal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 02:17 AM   #21
Mag555
macrumors newbie

iPad Mini' Cases Accompanied by Sketchy Drawings

It so stylish and i wish to buy it.Thanx for sharing it.
Mag555 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 03:17 AM   #22
sneaky butcher
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by inscrewtable View Post
sales of the nexus 7 prove you wrong
sneaky butcher is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 05:12 PM   #23
shooblemcdooble
macrumors newbie

what is the point?!?!
shooblemcdooble is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:58 AM   #24
PracticalMac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooblemcdooble View Post