Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SirHaakon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2007
There isnt much to upgrade..
check out intels latest and greatest CPU's not a big difference between whats in there now and the new stuff

Intel really needs to crank up the speed on there workstation CPUs

I totally agree with the GPU comments,

Apple.. lets change the enclosure.. cut it in half..
It's not just the processors. It's the GPU. It's the complete lack of Thunderbolt, when even the freakin mini has it. It's the complete lack of Blu-ray (even though they'll never add it). It's the complete lack of USB3.

And yes, the damn chassis is way too huge. :)

Rocketman

macrumors 603
I'm really beginning to get the hang of fcpx and enjoying using it. I really hope they don't abandon the Mac Pro though...
The next best thing to a MacPro update would be a Mac-Mini like device with the top end Intel chips in it. One could cluster or grid those like Mac-Mini colo farms do.

When you configure a Mini with no screen but all the other stuff it can be $1800 for the server model. The MacPro is in the range of $3500-6500 plus externals. Something a bit like a Mini, but with a couple of expansion slots, a couple of SSD slots, an excessive number of memory slots, and a focus on external expansion via TB and Ethernet would be a pretty good compromise for MacPro users.

Rocketman

Last edited:

MordechaiCarver

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2011
Denver, CO
There are actual legitimate reasons why professionals left FCP X. It's not because they are 'haters' or 'whiners'... but because they had to get work done.

...we've been using FCP 7 waiting for a real break in FCP X. Two weeks ago we had a studio meeting and it was determined that we couldn't wait any longer, and as such moved to Premiere as our new mainstay. Premiere has it's own set of issues, but is pro-oriented and has the toolset we need to get the job done.

First off, kudos for sticking with FCP7. I was going to go back to my earlier argument of "if FCP X isn't for you, why not stay with FCP 7 instead of investing in a whole new NLE system", and you're the first one that has actually said they did that and then decided (recently) to leave. May I ask, what does Premiere do that FCP 7 doesn't...that made you decide not to wait? Not that you could have known an update was coming out two weeks later...

LaDirection

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2006
Wow awesome! If they can put back the 3-way color corrector, support for the many control surfaces we own, etc. we'll be back to FCP 3!

Cory Bauer

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2003
Local and Xsan only. You will never be able to save a project file to a specific location...
Then we'll never be using Final Cut Pro X. Local storage-only is a joke for collaborative work environments, and an XSAN/Fibre Channel setup is far too expensive for a small shop of editors. Plus, last I heard only one Final Cut Pro X editor could be connected to the XSAN at a time, completely defeating the purpose of shared storage.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Not that you could have known an update was coming out two weeks later...
Apple announced in April they would have a major FCPX update "in 2012" and listed the items they have now actually done. In fact Tim Cook made a point to mention during the Mac and iPad event that Apple was making good on all its promises for 2012. For the most part that seems to be true.

I agree with the poster that said Apple should have an enterprise division or office that has road maps, pre-announcements, and an active feedback and control loop on product features and plans. It would cost next to nothing and would probably breed new revenue streams and customer loyalty.

Rocketman

Last edited:

afairhurst

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2011
Can FCPX animate .psd layers?

I'd like to animate a layered .psd file. Can anyone confirm if this is possible with FCPX and whether easing is supported.

I imagine After Effects would be the best software for the job, however the cost of the software is prohibitive. FCPX on the other hand is very reasonably priced.

Thanks.

stagsknights

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2007
N.Y.
Technical help

I have an imac - 3.06 Intel Core 2 Duo, with 4 GB SDRAM and NVIDIA GeForce Graphics - early 2008!
Question - If I get the new iMac will I be able to run Final Cut Pro X? I stopped FCP at 6.06, downloaded the trial for 10 a year ago but the machine I have wasn't good enough. Is the new iMac going to do the job? Is the new iMac that much better than what I have? I know this may be beneath some of you, but I also know there are many of you who could tell me in a second the main difference between the 2 generations of iMacs! Thanks!

MordechaiCarver

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2011
Denver, CO
Apple announced in April they would have a major FCPX update "in 2012" and listed the items they have now actually done. In fact Tim Cook made a point to mention during the Mac and iPad event that Apple was making good on all its promises for 2012. For the most part that seems to be true.

Correct...I was just making the distinction that they happened to make the decision two weeks before the announcement. But I also agree they should provide a roadmap.

4God

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2005
My Mac
I am an editor who is on FCP7 and yes I would have loved them to update the software and been gracious to do so seeing as I have been using it for over 10 years now.
I get students who contact my company on a regular basis asking for work, be it paid or not just so they can get experience in the real world, (Note the word real), but when we ask what are you editing with they say FCPx and like many before we cant use this person, as in the REAL world post houses dont use this and as it stands right now will never use it as we are all moving over to Avid or another platform that edits the way we all edit. We wont be changing how we edit to suit a company that decides to drop their professional app for a jumped up imovie app. Get real and if you are serious about editing in the real world then use a real editing application.

I'll say this again: Oh Really?

http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/in-action/radical/
http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/in-action/electric/
http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/in-action/phoenix/

proximity

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2006
Then we'll never be using Final Cut Pro X. Local storage-only is a joke for collaborative work environments, and an XSAN/Fibre Channel setup is far too expensive for a small shop of editors. Plus, last I heard only one Final Cut Pro X editor could be connected to the XSAN at a time, completely defeating the purpose of shared storage.

You have one good point and one bad.

Your good point is that multiple editors should be able to access the same Events and Projects on the same San. I would love to see them do this at the same time. This is my hunch for the next big update.

Your bad point is that you make it sound like you cant use network storeage for video. Which is completly wrong. Your Event and Project files (which are like 1mb + renderfiles) has to reside on such a volume. And you may also back these up to your cloud easily. Just like in FCP7, you have a project file which links to the material which is where ever you would like it to be.

But your first point is still, good and I'm confident it's on the roadmap.

To sum up:
Saving a project file to the desktop is for idiots, but you are not.

VonRoeder

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2012
Tucson, AZ
A difficult transition

I'm a current Final Cut Pro 7 user right now, can someone tell me if its worth upgrading to Final Cut Pro X yet?

I am an expert user of Final Cut Pro 7 so I found learning Final Cut Pro X frustrating. Mind you, I love the features and realize that this is an evolutionary step in the program, but my mind is so trained in FCP7 that it is difficult. My early experiences in FCPX were like editing with one hand tied behind my back!
But I am sticking to it and have seen its potential and am gaining speed again.
An interesting thing is that I hear from many users new to editing that they find FCPX a breeze. I guess those of us versed in FCP7 will have a more challenging time adapting.

nep61

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2007
This post sounds like a piece of fiction. The user account has 1 post (this is it) and the account was created today. Are we suppose to believe that the accountants and IT department at the 5th largest network in the USA that is already using Avid & FCP 7 would simply dump the investment in Mac workstations and FCP 7 licenses within a year even though FCP 7 and those workstations are still fully functional? Why not just transition new employees to Avid since you cannot buy new FCP 7 licenses and move to 60/40 split rather than 50/50 as you wait for FCP X to mature?

This reads like "IBM did not like Windows 8 so the company got rid of all its Lenovo Thinkpads and bought MacBook Pros". It simply lacks a sense of credibility for how corporations function.

It also sounds like those "I switched from iOS to Android and haven't looked back" posts that come from folks who never owned an iOS device in their lives.

As someone who has worked in Post Production for nearly 30 years... The earlier post you're refering to--- is a totally believable situation... I have seen NYC Post Houses with 20-50 Systems totally switch over to Avid from FCP (earlier versions, not X) in a heartbeat.

It's all about the Support... Apple blew it with FCPX-- for all the reasons we read about--- ... Avid has picked up that slack with the support and upgrades.... just my opinion--- since I've used both and have seen things swing from FCP and AVID many times.

4God

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2005
My Mac
If those are the best examples they can provide of real world post houses, that certainly makes it look like X isn't getting used much on the high end.

I'm actually using to edit two TV shows for Comcast (both start airing in January) and I'll be using it for a feature film next year. I'm not saying it's perfect, I actually still use Adobe Premiere CS6 sometimes and then export an XML (using 7toX) to finish my edits in FCPX. This new update sure makes things even better.

DesterWallaboo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2003
Western USA
First off, kudos for sticking with FCP7. I was going to go back to my earlier argument of "if FCP X isn't for you, why not stay with FCP 7 instead of investing in a whole new NLE system", and you're the first one that has actually said they did that and then decided (recently) to leave. May I ask, what does Premiere do that FCP 7 doesn't...that made you decide not to wait? Not that you could have known an update was coming out two weeks later...

Two largest issues at play were a) inability to have media anywhere you like (media management); and b) the inability to have multiple timelines in a project. There were other issues (some big, some small and manageable) as well, but these two were huge factors that made FCP X pretty much DOA for our studio. Premiere doesn't have these issues, and it had additional features that we needed, such as mixing multiple formats on a timeline without having to render (as in FCP 7). And the ability to bring in native DSLR footage from 5D's, which we see a lot of today. Couple that with deep RED integration which we use frequently... these pretty much were the biggest factors in moving from FCP 7 to Premiere. We would have moved to FCP X had they allowed us to have media anywhere we liked/needed... and multiple timelines.

bonehead

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2002
Lost Angeles

These are definitely exceptions to the rule. Electric have been beta testers for FCP for years. Radical are primarily a production company that have their own in-house post. I'm not familiar with Phoenix Film.

FCPX, in its current version, works for some people but not all. Hopefully Apple with keep adding things until it has the breadth and depth of FCP7. Just don't hate on those who choose not to use FCPX in the meantime.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
As someone who has worked in Post Production for nearly 30 years... The earlier post you're refering to--- is a totally believable situation... I have seen NYC Post Houses with 20-50 Systems totally switch over to Avid from FCP (earlier versions, not X) in a heartbeat.

It's all about the Support... Apple blew it with FCPX-- for all the reasons we read about--- ... Avid has picked up that slack with the support and upgrades.... just my opinion--- since I've used both and have seen things swing from FCP and AVID many times.

I think its going to be initially temporary. While this generation may go to other video editors, the next generation, up & coming will transition more easier to FCP X. The face of video editing in general is changing also. Very large post houses will transition into smaller ones.

MordechaiCarver

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2011
Denver, CO
Premiere doesn't have these issues, and it had additional features that we needed, such as mixing multiple formats on a timeline without having to render (as in FCP 7). And the ability to bring in native DSLR footage from 5D's, which we see a lot of today. Couple that with deep RED integration which we use frequently...

So the issues for FCP 7 were not needing to render mixed formats, RED, and DSLR footage...right? Hmmm...guess I can see that...we don't use RED, nor DSLR (yet) so I guess that's where the whole "it depends on what you need it for" thing comes in. But then again, FCP 7 supported ProRes, so you could have used those formats in there...so I guess the only prob was not needing to Render. Hmmm...FCP X can do that (background render allows you to play any mixed formats in one timeline).

We would have moved to FCP X had they allowed us to have media anywhere we liked/needed.

Not sure you looked into FCP X that far...you can put the events folder anywhere you want...or (what we do) put your captured clips into FCP 7's capture scratch and import into FCP X from there checking off the "Copy to Events Folder" option. That way you also have a quick backup should something happen. And those folders can be on different drives.

... and multiple timelines.

FCP X has that option...it's just called a compound clip.

Not saying you're wrong in your decisions...just playing devil's advocate.

mjsanders5uk

macrumors regular
May 11, 2009
No professional production house is going to use FCP X. No one wants to learn new software.

They've either stuck with FCP 7 or moved on to AVID.

Yes because we have never had to learn new software have we!

That's got to be the most stupid argument I've heard for not trying FCP X.

With the release of 10.0.6, FCP X is seriously giving Avid and Pr Pro a run for their money. It really isn't a toy, its a very serious, powerful piece of software.

You have to try it, you have to have more than a cursory play with it. It does require a pretty serious change in mindset but once you get it - it's there.

And I speak as someone who's used FCP X in anger for over a year since its release.

----------

But I am sticking to it and have seen its potential and am gaining speed again.
An interesting thing is that I hear from many users new to editing that they find FCPX a breeze. I guess those of us versed in FCP7 will have a more challenging time adapting.

I'm a FCP user since V1.

I think the key is getting the link between events and projects.

DesterWallaboo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2003
Western USA
So the issues for FCP 7 were not needing to render mixed formats, RED, and DSLR footage...right? Hmmm...guess I can see that...we don't use RED, nor DSLR (yet) so I guess that's where the whole "it depends on what you need it for" thing comes in. But then again, FCP 7 supported ProRes, so you could have used those formats in there...so I guess the only prob was not needing to Render. Hmmm...FCP X can do that (background render allows you to play any mixed formats in one timeline).

Not sure you looked into FCP X that far...you can put the events folder anywhere you want...or (what we do) put your captured clips into FCP 7's capture scratch and import into FCP X from there checking off the "Copy to Events Folder" option. That way you also have a quick backup should something happen. And those folders can be on different drives.

FCP X has that option...it's just called a compound clip.

Not saying you're wrong in your decisions...just playing devil's advocate.

Let's not forget that we are primarily an animation/motionography house.... so getting the timelines, in their native formats without timeline/clip corruption, into After Effects via XML has been an issue.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Maybe a *bit* off-topic, BUT ....

I think your comment raises another question. Why doesn't Apple invest some serious effort into their XGrid technology? It sounds like such a powerful feature. (Just check-mark an option in Settings and allow your Mac to share its CPU with other Macs on your LAN.) In reality, it's always been a half-baked function that's poorly documented and difficult for software developers to leverage in their applications.

It seems to me the whole XGrid thing should be handled at the OS level, so software doesn't need to be "XGrid aware" to make use of it. If you own 3 Macs on your LAN with XGrid enabled on them and you start compressing an archive file or converting a video from format to format, the load should automatically get shared among the 3 Macs.

The next best thing to a MacPro update would be a Mac-Mini like device with the top end Intel chips in it. One could cluster or grid those like Mac-Mini colo farms do.

When you configure a Mini with no screen but all the other stuff it can be $1800 for the server model. The MacPro is in the range of $3500-6500 plus externals. Something a bit like a Mini, but with a couple of expansion slots, a couple of SSD slots, an excessive number of memory slots, and a focus on external expansion via TB and Ethernet would be a pretty good compromise for MacPro users.

Rocketman

JuBe

macrumors regular
May 28, 2009
What Apple does with FCX2 is what really matters. That's when all those editors will finally sit down and decide what to do.

I think this hits the topic on the head. Companies can survive with what they've got right now, but I can't imagine huge buy-ins until there is some more stability.

Right now I'm on a subscription model to PP CS6, but I keep coming back and trying FCP X, hoping it will suddenly be FCP 8. Unfortunately, every time I try it, I feel like it doesn't give me enough flexibility with manipulating clips or organizing the files to my own liking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.