Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

duaneu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Bellevue, WA
Those other companies sell the hardware cheap as a loss leader to try and gain market share. Apple has no need to go down that road.

cdesigns

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2008
You are not going to price a BMW as the same price as a Hyundai just because the car might look similar and takes you from point A to B.

Apple is QUALITY , other android tablets are just screen with plastic.

CapnJackGig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2011
He can attempt to defend the horrible price all he wants, but there is no defense for it. Screen and processor tech that's 2 generations old for 330 dollars is a complete joke. The only reason they're selling it this high is because sheeple will buy anything.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
•iPad mini. has about a 49 percent larger Web-surfing area in portrait mode and a 67 percent larger area in landscape mode

shall I keep going.....

No need to keep repeating these Apple talking points. Web surfing area changing depending on orientation is the new Apple BS. Screen area does not change when you flip the tablet! While there are some cases (web sites designed for 800 pixel width) where this might apply to some extent, it is not universally true and, of course, on some Android tablets (Samsung) one can keep more than one application on the screen at the same time.

engg2000

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2009
Comment, NO
It's the dismissive tone that most will imply Apple simply charge more, because they can - which doesn't sit well with people.

It will sit well with investors 3 months from now. Apple works for it's investors, not for the people they sell products to. It didn't become the most valuable company in the world by giving their stuff away at cost. If you think it's not worth $329, don't buy it. They'll still be back ordered by 2 to 3 weeks over the next week.
Watch for the stock AAPL rise over the next week.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
To you people who are so disappointed it wasn't $299. It's a 30 buck difference. Really?

it's not even the price, so much as what is (well is not) in the device (screen and hardware). It is really hard to justify paying $329 for a giant iphone 4. Oh wait, even the i4 had a retina display.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Apple for sure won't join the race to the bottom but I do think that they will release a much better iPad mini in less than a year.

Not in less than a year, in one year exactly (well, they may launch next year in September, some of the rumours said this was delayed because of production issues), but there won't be a refresh until then, which will be when the full sized iPad gets its next refresh, just in time for the holiday season.

BLUElightCory

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2010
With every new product, everyone LOVES to tell Apple just how wrong they are.

Then Apple sells a zillion units, customers love their new product, and we all retreat and wait for the NEXT new product so we can tell them how wrong they are again, they sell a zillion units, people love their new product, and the cycle continues.

You guys are seriously hanging out on an Apple-focused site so you can complain about Apple products all day? Really? No one is forcing you to buy anything.

mdlee2009

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2012
Indiana
I think you are in the minority of buyers if you would buy a 5 year old a $200 electronic device. Anyways, at $199 they wont make much profit. Of course that would be a no brainer because it would be underpriced.

The carriers subsidize most of that cost so they are definitely making a profit on the 5.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Nexus 7 - higher ppi, NFC, more RAM, quadcore, GPS, $100 less expensive...

And no rear camera, cheap plastic quality, poor screen contrast, smaller screen, poor selection of tablet apps, poor performing GPU, no 5ghz wifi support, no LTE, no 3G, thicker, heavier, no 64gb option, weak distribution and support network...

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Apple products have been overpriced for years, but yet people still buy them. This is nothing new. Apple could have lowered the price if they want, but they already know, its the holidays and people see $329 and iPad name and immediately want one.

Which means that they are not overpriced. By definition, overpriced means that people won't buy it at that price.

ENduro

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2008
Detroit, MI
It's that damn Lightning connector! If they'd have gone with the 20 pin they would have made the $299 price point... and people wouldn't be furious when they lose their charging cable when they're travelling.

camnchar

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
$329 is pretty arrogant for a year and a half old processor. They're essentially ceding the entry level market to Google and Amazon.

Which is fine in the short term. But when those people who purchased the Fire or the Nexus 7 want to upgrade to a bigger tablet, will they dump all the apps they've bought for Android and start over with an iPad, or will they feel locked in? I think this question is what made AAPL decline so quickly when the price was announced. Time will tell if the pricing was an actual mistake (a la the original iPhone) or if Apple sells enough Minis to justify the higher cost (a la the original iPod Mini).

lesiu

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2011
Europe ..

I am just sad about their pricing in Europe...

339 euros for the base version (BTW Nexus 7: 200 euros)

with the today's exchange rate: ~439$

The US price is 329$,
adding the value of the european VAT (16-25%) in the equation:
329 * 1.16 = ~382$
329 * 1.25 = ~412$

Apple with current iteration of products introduced another tax
("apple european tax") down here .. 57-27 euros depending on the VAT level

:(

similar story for the iMacs :( :(

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
I for one think its a rip off, $249 to $299 TOPS. Thanks to the overpriced, in sufficient hardware, especially resolution it made my buying the Kindle Fire HD that much easier.

And I'm sure you're happy with that purchase in the long run.

Not.

I returned my Nexus 7 after two days. It was $200, but for $130 more now I can get a larger screen, iOS and a better selection of apps with a device that won't drive me up the walls outside of Google Maps?

And people are complaining? Since when were the same people who are proud to early adopt with Apple products now tightwads too?

Go ahead, buy the Nexus. But the fact that I couldn't get half the apps I use on iOS, plus the bizarre landscape orientation support and the fact that I was constantly signed into Google Chat were enough to end the affair for me.

Last edited:

Bilbo63

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
Nexus 7 - higher ppi, NFC, more RAM, quadcore, GPS, $100 less expensive...

The display on my iPad 2 is still great. I have no problems with it at all and am perfectly happy.

NFC? Who needs it? More RAM? iPad doesn't need it. Quad Core? iPad doesn't need that either. (the benefits of a lean, fast OS with minimal overhead tuned for your own hardware)

I am perfectly happy with my 1.5 year old iPad 2. I use it daily and it continues to work fantastic. The display is beautiful. Battery life is great. The only thing that this mini offers is a smaller form factor and lightning port at a more affordable entry point.

I think that the entry level price could and maybe should have been $299, but your comparisons make no sense.

ENduro

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2008
Detroit, MI
And no rear camera, cheap plastic quality, poor screen contrast, smaller screen, poor selection of tablet apps, poor performing GPU, no 5ghz wifi support, no LTE, no 3G, thicker, heavier, no 64gb option, weak distribution and support network...

I remember that time I almost used the rear camera on my iPad 2. That was a crazy day.

Macist

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2009
I'll probably get the 16GB WIFI basic model as I'll primarily use it as a web and information tool and won't store much if any music on it - possibly the 32GB. I wanted cheaper, yes, but do I want an Android tablet, even a really cheap one? NOPE.

the Mini's perfect for me. I never wanted an iPad because when I borrowed one it felt too heavy after a short while.

The Mini may be just right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.