Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

MarketWatch reports that sites specializing in gadget resales saw tremendous spikes in iPad interest yesterday, with resale submissions rising 700-1000% as Apple was announcing the fourth-generation iPad and the new iPad mini.
Some 140,000 devices were put up for sale on Gazelle.com Tuesday - a 700% spike from the day before, says Anthony Scarsella, chief gadget officer at the site. Half of that increase occurred in the hours just before the announcement, he says - and the most common model put up for sale was the "new iPad" released just six months ago. Another resale site, NextWorth.com , reported that trade-ins for iPads rose over 1,000% on Tuesday.
Despite the fact that the new models are not launching until November 2, with cellular-capable models coming several weeks later, it seems that users already moving to unload their current devices in order to purchase the new latest models. According to the report, nearly 70% of resale submissions are for the third-generation iPad, with the 32 GB Wi-Fi model currently registering as the most popular resale at Gazelle.

gazelle_ipad_3_resale.jpg

For third-generation Wi-Fi iPads in "flawless" condition, Gazelle is currently offering $250/$300/$350 for the various capacities, giving consumers a substantial amount of money toward the purchase of one of the new models. Gazelle's offers are locked in for 30 days, allowing consumers submitting their resales now time to get at least a Wi-Fi model of either the fourth-generation iPad or new iPad mini before having to send back their current device. The flood of new offers is, however, likely to drive resale offer prices down as the sites seek to balance their stocks.

Note: Gazelle is presently an advertiser on MacRumors.

Article Link: iPad Resales Jump 700-1000% Alongside Apple's Media Event

TRMC13

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2012
Got $600 for my 64GB Verizon iPad 3 as they were announcing the 4, now I think it's $400.

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
$250? Not bad, not bad at all.

In all seriousness, these products have had a short lifecycle in terms of being on the market, but really, why would you give away something that works perfectly fine for half of the price?

One of the great things about (most) Apple products is that they stand the test of time and pay for themselves.

elvetio

macrumors member
May 29, 2012

what's the point? it's ludicrous. its insane to see how people became obsessed with these spec bumps and how easily they trade their money just for a minor change. the damn thing is just as good as it was 5 months ago. god sake... grow up

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
A bit flooded, always better to sell directly to others, cannot imagine selling on this Gazelle site and lossing so much money. Never sell to resellers, loss is too great.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
eBay should get you a better return, by even significant margins to sites like those.

BreuerEditor

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
New Jersey
Coming from a 3rd gen iPad owner, the 4th gen isn't a big enough of a jump to go one generation. From 2nd or 1st gen, I can understand, but hard to justify (from Gazelle) losing 50% of your 3rd gen iPad's value in 8 months...

ozziegn

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Central FL Area
I'll admit that I'm one that always has to have the latest and greatest. but......

in this case I'm gonna pass just so I don't lose my @ss. lol

Intarweb

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2007
Amazon was giving around $400 for a 16gig trade-in as of this morning. I'm not sure what it's at now.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I will either get a Mini for my wife and kids to use as she has said we need a second iPad, and then eventually sell our 2 and get a Retina.

Or I will pass the 2 down to the kids, etc. and get a Retina.

Intarweb

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2007
Coming from a 3rd gen iPad owner, the 4th gen isn't a big enough of a jump to go one generation. From 2nd or 1st gen, I can understand, but hard to justify (from Gazelle) losing 50% of your 3rd gen iPad's value in 8 months...

Math, there's an app for that.

sovereign

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2009
Got $600 for my 64GB Verizon iPad 3 as they were announcing the 4, now I think it's $400.

Wow, even at $600 that is quite a drop. So, @ $250 to upgrade to the 4, after tax. Looks like I'm keeping mine (which is fine).

Jarland

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2006
I managed to get a $400 quote for my 32gb iPad 3 wifi right after the announcement. I mostly just wanted to lock myself in before the price dropped just in case I decided to make an upgrade, and boy did it. It dropped to $250 and then worked back up to $300 later in the day.

Call me dumb all you want, but I justify each upgrade by only paying a fraction of the cost because Apple products have such high resale values. I'm worried about the resale value of the 3 by the release of the 5, and I'm going to step down to the 16gb so it's a $100 upgrade. Since I'll probably stay with the lowest storage model next time around too, I predict that this decision will either save me money or cost me no extra when it's all put down on paper, compared to if I were to skip this upgrade and hold out for the next.

I don't like that they just tossed the 3 out and kept the 2 and the 4 which amounts to what the 3 should have been, but having the latest and greatest is better for my wallet come upgrade time.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL

Yeah, I was sitting with my notebook in front the TV watching the media event and as soon as they started into the 4th intro, I wondered what the current market for 3rd gens might be.

So I hit up Gazelle, went through, saved my quote, activated my account ... and I have a $4xx offer sitting in my current offers for my 32GB 3rd Gen.

Went back about an hour after the event (not logged in) and tried the same product, only came up for $250.

I actually have mine posted in the for sale as a "feeler", figured I'd see how that pans out. OK, with keeping, but would sell for the right offer :D

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Call me dumb all you want, but I justify each upgrade by only paying a fraction of the cost because Apple products have such high resale values.

Yep, I also figure I had 7 months of use, if I wind up spending $200 more for a new one, that's ~$28/month, which I'm kind of OK with ... I'm dumb too I guess :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.