Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guyjol

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
So I'm planning to buy my first iPad this Friday and I don't know if AppleCare is really useful. It's a hole 100$ more. Has any of you really used it?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I guess the bigger question is how long do you plan on keeping it? If you know you will upgrade next year or soon after, the 1 year warranty included may be enough.

guyjol

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
I guess the bigger question is how long do you plan on keeping it? If you know you will upgrade next year or soon after, the 1 year warranty included may be enough.

Yeah didn't really think about that! Thanks!

Macguy76

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2011
Texas
Yes. AppleCare+ is worth the money! It covers 2 years of defects and 2 years of phone support. But the most important thing it covers is Accidents!

I had an iPad 2 last summer and my son went to the kitchen to get it for me, not realizing that the cover was not on it and dropped it on the tile floor.

Since AppleCare at the time didn't cover accidents, I had to she'll out $629 for another iPad for myself. Admiringly the one I had that got cracked was a 64GB version, but I wasn't expecting to have to buy another one at the time so I did with less.

Had I had AppleCare+, that accident would have cost me $49 for the deductible.

I now get AppleCare on all of my devices especially iOS devices!

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Yes. AppleCare+ is worth the money! It covers 2 years of defects and 2 years of phone support. But the most important thing it covers is Accidents!

I had an iPad 2 last summer and my son went to the kitchen to get it for me, not realizing that the cover was not on it and dropped it on the tile floor.

Since AppleCare at the time didn't cover accidents, I had to she'll out $629 for another iPad for myself. Admiringly the one I had that got cracked was a 64GB version, but I wasn't expecting to have to buy another one at the time so I did with less.

True, applecare+ may be worth it. I think they only offer that on the iphone and ipads?

Scottyee

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
curious: If you've currently got AppleCare+ for an iPad 3 and it accidently breaks (unrepairably damaged) 1-2 years down the road, will Apple replace it with whatever "current" iPad model is being sold at the time, or does Apple routinely maintain a back stock of (refurbished?) old iPad 3's to cover these type of AppleCare+ accidental damage claims? :confused:

Last edited:

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
curious: If you've currently got AppleCare+ for an iPad 3 and it accidently breaks (unrepairably damaged) 1-2 years down the road, will Apple replace it with whatever "current" iPad model is being sold at the time, or does Apple routinely maintain a back stock of (refurbished?) old iPad 3's to cover these type of AppleCare+ accidental damage claims? :confused:

As if the people on this forum don't exhibit enough larcenous qualities without such a system - no, you don't get an upgrade if the item you purchased breaks. You get an identical replacement. Same memory, same processor. But you do get a "as-new" battery/outer shell/display.

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2011

I thought replacements were $150 if you didn't have applecare+.

Macguy76

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2011
Texas

I was not quoted that price in the Summer of 2011. They had told me that it was almost the same as new one. It was, at the time the newest one, since it was the summer of 2011 and the 3rd Gen came out in Spring of 2012.

Still, I wish I had had Applecare+ at the time, but it was not available.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010

Apple's out-of -warranty replacement cost is $249 for the first 2 models and $299 for the latest model.

Applecare+ not only protects against damage but you get a second year of warranty service.

One thing to watch for with some after-market warranties like SquareTrade is they limit coverage to the purchase value. So, for example, if you pay $499 for the device and have a $299 replacement then they only allow for another $200 credit for further service/replacement.

Poochi

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Toronto
So I'm planning to buy my first iPad this Friday and I don't know if AppleCare is really useful. It's a hole 100$ more. Has any of you really used it?

Useless unless you are careless or have bad luck.

Credit cards I use to buy stuff automatically doubles my warrantly by up to an extra year.

So the iPad mini would be 1 year guaranteed by Apple, and from year 1 to year 2, credit card's warranty will cover the repairs (repair and then send the bill through claim process).

next year your old iPad mini will probably be worth like $220, and you spent that $100 up front? That makes absolutely no sense at all.

Should anything happen, you are only saving $120 meanwhile you are getting a refurb older device.

Gizmokin

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2013
So worth it for me

My ipad mini accidentally slipped out of my hands while in a case. It caused a small chip in the screen that spread within an hour to a crack across my screen. My ipad was less than 2 months old and I paid 219 for a new, not refurbished, ipad mini. I was able to purchase AppleCare+ at this time for half price. I am not careless with my ipad, it was the first time I had ever dropped it. I will never purchase another device without AppleCare+. Visa and Amex double the warranty for defects and workmanship, but do not cover accidents, Applecare+ does. Lesson learned.

EDH667

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Northern California
My ipad mini accidentally slipped out of my hands while in a case. It caused a small chip in the screen that spread within an hour to a crack across my screen. My ipad was less than 2 months old and I paid 219 for a new, not refurbished, ipad mini. I was able to purchase AppleCare+ at this time for half price. I am not careless with my ipad, it was the first time I had ever dropped it. I will never purchase another device without AppleCare+. Visa and Amex double the warranty for defects and workmanship, but do not cover accidents, Applecare+ does. Lesson learned.

In your scenereo, Amex or Visa signature would have covered the replacement since they have 90 day accident and theft coverage along with the extra year of the manufacturer warranty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.