Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 23, 2012, 03:03 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Apple Devices to Support Many New International LTE Networks In Coming Months




Apple has been slow to support the myriad of LTE networks used by cell carriers around the globe. The company only supported Verizon and AT&T in the U.S., and several Canadian carriers when the LTE iPad launched earlier this year, leading to complaints over Apple's marketing of the device in a number of countries.

Today, during the announcement of the fourth-generation iPad, Apple briefly displayed the above slide showcasing a number of domestic and international carriers that should eventually support LTE data on the new iPad and the iPad mini, and potentially the iPhone 5 as well.

Currently, the iPhone 5 supports LTE networks on 17 carriers in 9 countries. For U.S. consumers, the new iPad and the mini will now support Sprint's LTE network. Additionally, Apple has posted a new page showing the 19 carriers in 9 countries that the iPad mini and 4th-gen iPad will support at launch.

Article Link: Apple Devices to Support Many New International LTE Networks In Coming Months
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 04:08 PM   #2
wordoflife
macrumors 604
 
wordoflife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Nice to see some uniformity coming.
wordoflife is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 05:10 PM   #3
Geckotek
macrumors G3
 
Geckotek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NYC
So it looks like buying the Verizon model gets you the most bang for your buck re: international coverage. Or in my case, I would want one to work in South Korea so I'd need to get the Verizon model.

Sound about right?
__________________
Gecko Art | Facebook | flickr
Geckotek is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 05:36 PM   #4
Nermal
Moderator
 
Nermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Whakatane, New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckotek View Post
Sound about right?
Yup.
Nermal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:54 PM   #5
chriscrk
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
If I buy an iPhone 5 and LTE isn't available yet where I live (or it's a different type), will that mean it'll never be compatible?
Or should I just wait and see if they ever release a compatible version of the iPhone?
chriscrk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:33 PM   #6
retroneo
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscrk View Post
If I buy an iPhone 5 and LTE isn't available yet where I live (or it's a different type), will that mean it'll never be compatible?
Or should I just wait and see if they ever release a compatible version of the iPhone?
In Chile, the networks are rolling out 2.6GHz LTE now for launching mid 2013. In 2017, networks will roll out 700MHz using the APAC Band 28.

Neither is supported in 2012 Apple devices.

There is also almost no likelihood that a Chilean carrier would re-use "refarm" some of their existing 2G or 3G (850MHz or 1900MHz) spectrum. These frequencies are supported by today's Apple devices.

I would expect 2600MHz support in 2013 Apple devices. 2600MHz has been auctioned off in many countries and some networks are already deployed using it.
retroneo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 11:23 PM   #7
JAT
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Mpls, MN
Hey, when will they support "wifi" in iOS6?
__________________
-- Spiky
JAT is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 11:26 PM   #8
robanga
macrumors 68000
 
robanga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Oregon
The chipsets that support all these bands are almost as impressive as the fine tuning of the antenna design that must go into every product.
__________________
Soli Deo gloria
robanga is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 06:09 AM   #9
everything-i
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: London, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscrk View Post
If I buy an iPhone 5 and LTE isn't available yet where I live (or it's a different type), will that mean it'll never be compatible?
Or should I just wait and see if they ever release a compatible version of the iPhone?
To be fair, LTE is bit of a mess and its going to be a few years before devices are available to cover all the frequency ranges and flavours of LTE that will ultimately appear. If you can, I would hold off on the 5 and go for the 5s which is more likely to have models supporting your required frequency ranges.
everything-i is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 06:46 AM   #10
Guacamole
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
so, if we have the Ipad 3... not even with an IOS update will ever get LTE support?
Guacamole is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:48 AM   #11
BornAgainMac
macrumors 601
 
BornAgainMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Florida Resident
In the U.S. will they stop hardcoding the LTE version to separate carriers like they did the last time.
BornAgainMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:35 PM   #12
chriscrk
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by retroneo View Post
In Chile, the networks are rolling out 2.6GHz LTE now for launching mid 2013. In 2017, networks will roll out 700MHz using the APAC Band 28.

Neither is supported in 2012 Apple devices.

There is also almost no likelihood that a Chilean carrier would re-use "refarm" some of their existing 2G or 3G (850MHz or 1900MHz) spectrum. These frequencies are supported by today's Apple devices.

I would expect 2600MHz support in 2013 Apple devices. 2600MHz has been auctioned off in many countries and some networks are already deployed using it.
Oh right, thanks!

How did you know where I'm from, btw? I don't think I have it listed on my profile...

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by everything-i View Post
To be fair, LTE is bit of a mess and its going to be a few years before devices are available to cover all the frequency ranges and flavours of LTE that will ultimately appear. If you can, I would hold off on the 5 and go for the 5s which is more likely to have models supporting your required frequency ranges.
Yeah... idk, I'm just really eager to get one. I've been saving up for a while, been wanting one for years, so I don't think I can control myself and wait much longer :P LTE isn't the most important thing for me anyway though!
chriscrk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:36 PM   #13
Geckotek
macrumors G3
 
Geckotek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscrk View Post
How did you know where I'm from, btw? I don't think I have it listed on my profile...
Creepy stalker!!!
__________________
Gecko Art | Facebook | flickr
Geckotek is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 02:18 PM   #14
Mikey7c8
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Montreal, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by everything-i View Post
To be fair, LTE is bit of a mess and its going to be a few years before devices are available to cover all the frequency ranges and flavours of LTE that will ultimately appear. If you can, I would hold off on the 5 and go for the 5s which is more likely to have models supporting your required frequency ranges.
Even so, you should only expect LTE support if the phone or device supports the LTE bands in use by your carrier today.

Anything else is just educated guessing.
Mikey7c8 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 02:31 PM   #15
Nermal
Moderator
 
Nermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Whakatane, New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscrk View Post
How did you know where I'm from, btw? I don't think I have it listed on my profile...
You have previously posted it though
Nermal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 06:09 PM   #16
chriscrk
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermal View Post
You have previously posted it though
Oh right, I had forgotten about that lmao.
Not a big deal, I was just curious :P
chriscrk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 07:52 AM   #17
longpath
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckotek View Post
So it looks like buying the Verizon model gets you the most bang for your buck re: international coverage. Or in my case, I would want one to work in South Korea so I'd need to get the Verizon model.

Sound about right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermal View Post
Yup.
Based on the experiences of friends who have tried international roaming with Verizon (wasn't pretty) I'm holding off until Apple unifies the LTE capability into a single model. I've done international roaming with both T-Mobile and AT&T with zero issue, and the last thing I need is having to trade off customer service (not exactly Verizon's forte from what I see in reviews) to get the overseas coverage.
longpath is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:02 AM   #18
Geckotek
macrumors G3
 
Geckotek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by longpath View Post
Based on the experiences of friends who have tried international roaming with Verizon (wasn't pretty) I'm holding off until Apple unifies the LTE capability into a single model. I've done international roaming with both T-Mobile and AT&T with zero issue, and the last thing I need is having to trade off customer service (not exactly Verizon's forte from what I see in reviews) to get the overseas coverage.
The entire point is to use a local SIM and not roam.
__________________
Gecko Art | Facebook | flickr
Geckotek is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:52 PM   #19
longpath
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by longpath View Post
Based on the experiences of friends who have tried international roaming with Verizon (wasn't pretty) I'm holding off until Apple unifies the LTE capability into a single model. I've done international roaming with both T-Mobile and AT&T with zero issue, and the last thing I need is having to trade off customer service (not exactly Verizon's forte from what I see in reviews) to get the overseas coverage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckotek View Post
The entire point is to use a local SIM and not roam.
That presumes unlocked, and that wasn't available in the US until recently. That being said, the friends I referred to were using dual mode devices, in which the GSM component failed to work properly. My international use experience were with locked dumb phones, so swapping SIM wasn't an option; but it still worked seamlessly. Besides, I hate having to have to reload SIM accounts.
longpath is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is Apple doing the throttling LTE on the networks? tigres iPhone 26 Jun 5, 2013 09:44 PM
Pentagon to Open Communications Networks to Apple Devices in 2014 MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 72 Mar 2, 2013 02:10 PM
Apple Must Approve Carrier LTE Networks Before Allowing iPhone 5 to Connect to Them MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 112 Dec 4, 2012 02:15 PM
AT&T iPhone 5 - Terrible International LTE Support mdntcallr iPhone 5 Sep 13, 2012 02:05 PM
Retina Display Support Coming to Photoshop CS6 and Lightroom 4 in 'Coming Months' [Updated] MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 93 Aug 31, 2012 06:03 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:15 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC