Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cheddar-caveman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
Usually, when I attach the power adapter to my Mac Air, the green light comes on, then it goes orange to show charging and finally back to green when charged.
Lately when I attach it, nothing happens, sometimes for several minutes, then the charge starts. What is going on here? Any body else having this sort of problem?
This is the second charger I've had in less than two years, surely I don't need another?:mad:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Usually, when I attach the power adapter to my Mac Air, the green light comes on, then it goes orange to show charging and finally back to green when charged.
Lately when I attach it, nothing happens, sometimes for several minutes, then the charge starts. What is going on here? Any body else having this sort of problem?
This is the second charger I've had in less than two years, surely I don't need another?:mad:
It's not unusual for there to be a delay before charging starts or before the lights change. As long as your Mac is charging properly, you have nothing to worry about. The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

cheddar-caveman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
Many thanks GGJ. Just thought something must be going on as the time it takes for the light to come on has gone from a few seconds to several minutes.
I'll read the suggested pages.
Cheers

cheddar-caveman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
My fears were not ill founded as on Monday night the Mac Air didn't charge all night. Took the power adapter to PCW where I originally bought the computer and it was confirmed that this second power unit had also gone kaput after just ten months (same as the original).
As Apple only give you a 90 day warranty with replacement parts I needed to buy a new one.
Apple £60 (probably last another ten months) or http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....:L:OC:GB:3160&clk_rvr_id=408295665250&afsrc=1 for just £16.99 with a one year warranty. It's a no brainer!

New charger arrived today and Mac Air up and running - very pleased!

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I had a very similar problem with the charger that came with my MBA and the second charger I bought at the same time, both less than a month after launch of the 2011 model. It wouldn't charge when plugging in, sometimes twisting the charger in the socket would help, sometimes not.

It turned out the little plug part that goes into the walls (sometimes called the rabbit ears?) was the defective component. They replaced both at the apple store no questions asked, I assume because they have an abundance of them behind the counter there. Now both work just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.