Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
I didn't want to buy it. Well, I did but not for $20. Anyway, it's definitely pricey but I've spent a lot more on a lot less. 1 less drink when I go out later I suppose. Bought it. Love it.

I've been an echofon user but it is definitely lacking and hasn't really upgraded any features in quite a while. I like Tweetbot on my iPhone a lot but the syncing on echofon kept me going back and using it on my iP & MB. iCloud sync working pretty well for me. I really really like being able to add columns for multiple accounts when I feel like it and being able to collapse when I don't. I hated tweetdeck.

Anyway, I use twitter a lot on multiple accounts so, for me, I think it'll be worth it. If you are a casual user or a single account use, I don't think the $20 would be worth it. Plenty of other apps out there. But I am happy with the purchase.

gc916

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2012
I'm really disappointed: the sync to iCloud is the reason I went from beta to the $20.99 (AUS$...no idea why it was a buck more when our dollar is higher than the US one!) and it will simply not work for me.

I have:

• Deleted both Mac and iPhone apps
  • Signed out of iCloud on both devices
  • Restarted both devices
  • Turn doc sharing on and off
  • Combinations of all of the above

Nothing works! My phone is jailbroken, but both apps are paid for on both devices...there is nothing (I could see) in the documentation on the Tapbots site that said you can't have a jailbroken phone and if I wanted to double check that now, I can't because their website is down!!

I feel I've been really ripped off by this....yeah, it's a great app, but no, it doesn't work as it clearly states it does. My chance of getting a refund...pretty much nil.

I'm having the same problem, although my iPhone isn't jailbroken. I have sent an email to Tapbots support. Will report results when I hear from them.

I received the following reply to my message to Tapbots support regarding the sync issue:

"The iCloud should sync last read tweet between devices. Sometimes the service can be a little spotty, but your best bet is to keep running through the troubleshooting suggested on our support page.

Thanks for contacting us!
Katrina - Tapbots Support"

In my opinion, this response from tech support, regarding a problem with a $20 app, is dismissive and unacceptable. I have requested that they provide a resolution to the problem or issue a refund. I'll post any further messages from Tapbots.

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA
$20 is no big deal to me. It's one lap dance at the strip club. :D

Hey, does anyone know of a tutorial for Tweetbot? I've got the app on my iPad and iPhone and now my Mac, but I'd iike to dig into the details and settings to see how they work.

DoctorCrap

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
Penang, Malaysia
Tweetbot for $20?
Totally worth the price.
Though I did not get mine from the AppStore but from a friend's account xD.

Tweetbot on the Mac App Store currently is on version 1.0.0, well this is a very good version and does not require anything more but fixes to minor bugs.

The perfect twitter client!

ledbye

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2012
I received the following reply to my message to Tapbots support regarding the sync issue:

"The iCloud should sync last read tweet between devices. Sometimes the service can be a little spotty, but your best bet is to keep running through the troubleshooting suggested on our support page.

In my opinion, this response from tech support, regarding a problem with a $20 app, is dismissive and unacceptable. I have requested that they provide a resolution to the problem or issue a refund. I'll post any further messages from Tapbots.

Woah, that is SLACK! But not as slack as them completely ignoring me!!! I have heard nothing back. I gave them a detailed email of what I have tried and nothing. I too will be seeking a refund if we don't get some better support...

tekboi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
EasŦcoast
I agree w/ most here. $20 for a twitter app is just absurd. I simply cannot justify spending that much money to use twitter. And it sucks because I've purchased tweetbot for my iPad & iPhone and would have like to finish the collection with the desktop version.

Unfortunately that will NOT happen unless I see a price drop. :mad:

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Woah, that is SLACK! But not as slack as them completely ignoring me!!! I have heard nothing back. I gave them a detailed email of what I have tried and nothing. I too will be seeking a refund if we don't get some better support...
Fortunately iTunes support is quite efficient in issuing refunds.

gc916

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2012

I haven't heard anything more from Tapbots, so I just spoke with iTunes Support and they refunded the purchase price for Tweetbot. The entire conversation took about 3 minutes. Great experience from Apple once again.

JNGold

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
I have no problem spending the 20 bucks for a quality app that will reside on my desktop and will most likely not be replaced by any of the competition. That being said, I have already made the purchase and for the most part the app has lived up to expectations (yes, I used the alpha). Like most, I am finding the major weak spot is the iCloud syncing which, while not perfect on the iOS devices, does seem to work reasonably well. On the desktop, my mute filters sync'ed correctly but timeline sync doesn't seem to work at all.

Has anyone been able to see the desktop iCloud timeline sync work? I was thinking of going back to Tweetmarker but was willing to give Tapbots time to fix or correct whatever is going on with the iCloud sync.

dconrad3

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2009
Scroll to Marker Missing?

Does syncing actually work? I've never gotten the beta to successfully sync with the iOS counter part on iCloud or Tweet Marker. It honestly is the most annoying thing about using Twitter. If Twitter can release a client that fixes that like how Tweetie was supposed to, then I'd support them blocking out 3rd party clients.

Assuming the syncing were to work, it looks like the capability to scroll to the marker is missing from the final. I remember it working in the beta (I'm using TweetMarker, not iCloud, if it matters) but I only see options to Scroll to Top/Bottom. Am I missing something?

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I haven't heard anything more from Tapbots, so I just spoke with iTunes Support and they refunded the purchase price for Tweetbot. The entire conversation took about 3 minutes. Great experience from Apple once again.

While Tweetbot should have communicated the problem to you more clearly, I suspect that the iCloud issue is Apple's. Developers have been complaining about iCloud implementation problems. iCloud is much better than it was a year ago, but Apple clearly has a lot of work to do on it.

ledbye

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2012
Insulted!

Yeah...Tapbots support is a complete joke:

I think that if the iCloud is the same for both devices, you should be ok. But, out of curiosity, does syncing work with Tweet Marker?

Katrina - Tapbots Support

I sent this detailed email:

This will be the second email of this type that I have sent, but I will write another as I understand you would have had quite an influx since go-live on Friday (Australian time).

I can not get Tweetbot to sync across iCloud between Mac and iPhone.

My 'set up' is a 13" Macbook Pro (2011 model). My Mac Store ID differers from my iPhone app store ID. I am signed into iCloud under the same ID for both devices. My iPhone is a jailbroken iPhone 4. Both versions of Tweetbot are paid for apps and are both the most recent. I used the beta and alpha versions of Tweetbot on my Mac since they were released.

To try and get it working I have:

+ Uninstalled, rebooted and reinstalled on both devices
+ Uninstalled, rebooted, signed out of iCloud, rebooted, reinstalled and signed back into iCloud on both devices
+ Uninstalled on one device and reinstalled
+ Signed out of iCloud whist Tweetbot was installed
+ Instead of signing into iCloud with my own email address, signed in with the '@me.com" address linked to that Apple ID

I'm at a loss. I've been trying to get this working since installation on Friday. Don't get me wrong: I really love the app. It's UI and functionality is perfect and hands down the best Twitter client. But this bug is just killing me! PLEASE, rectify in an updated version or provide me some further instruction on how to get it working.

If you can provide further detailed instruction then I would suggest you put it in an FAQ for Tweetbot for Mac on your site: going live with nothing to fall back on when users have issues was probably a big mistake and accounts for a lot of support emails and tweets that could have been answered by visiting your website.

gc916

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2012
While Tweetbot should have communicated the problem to you more clearly, I suspect that the iCloud issue is Apple's. Developers have been complaining about iCloud implementation problems. iCloud is much better than it was a year ago, but Apple clearly has a lot of work to do on it.
I'm not a developer, so I can't dispute your suggestion that the problem lies with Apple. If that is the case, however, I would expect that Tapbots would have been aware of the problem. And if so, I think they should have kept Tweetbot for Mac in beta until the problem was resolved, or at least have been proactive in disclosing the issue to potential purchasers.

ledbye

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2012
I'm not a developer, so I can't dispute your suggestion that the problem lies with Apple. If that is the case, however, I would expect that Tapbots would have been aware of the problem. And if so, I think they should have kept Tweetbot for Mac in beta until the problem was resolved, or at least have been proactive in disclosing the issue to potential purchasers.

Hell yes! If there is an issue that they know about they should disclose it. I've been fobbed off by @tapbots on Twitter again. I'm really disappointed. It seems like a really rushed release to me. There is still no help files on their site for Tweetbot for Mac which seems ridiculous! They probably could have halved their support emails had they posted effective FAQs from the start!

KenOzz

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2011
Lincoln UK

Same problem for me

iCloud sync just dosent work and you cant get a notification when you get a new tweet using TweetBot, I just spent £14 on this awful software

I have asked for a refund but no reply think I have just been ripped off

think these guys are another Sparrow Mail situation, take the money and run

Bet they are gone in 3 months, with all the £14's they can get in that time

gc916

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2012
Same problem for me

iCloud sync just dosent work and you cant get a notification when you get a new tweet using TweetBot, I just spent £14 on this awful software

I have asked for a refund but no reply think I have just been ripped off

think these guys are another Sparrow Mail situation, take the money and run

Bet they are gone in 3 months, with all the £14's they can get in that time
Have you contacted iTunes Support at Apple? They issued a refund for me with no questions asked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.