Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Loren Brichter, the creator of the Tweetie client for Twitter that eventually became the official iOS Twitter app, has created a new word game for iOS that combines tactics from a number of different classic games -- but creates something new at the same time.

Letterpress combines the word-finding skills of Boggle with the ability to steal positions and block your opponent that's straight out of the classic board game Go. It seems to have captured the attention of much of the technology press today, and for good reason.

unscrambling.jpg
TouchArcade:
John Gruber:
It's the first game that's made my iPhone's first home screen in years. It's a cross between a word game like Scrabble or Boggle and a real estate strategy game like Risk or Go. It's addictive. (Letterpress is to Game Center what The Magazine is to Newsstand -- my first reason to use it.)
The game is free to download and users can purchase the ability to play more than two games at once and to see previously played words with a $0.99 in-app purchase.

Letterpress is a free download on the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'Letterpress' Combines Boggle and Go in One Simple Word Game

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Letterpress.
One word. That can have many different meanings. Lets take 2 examples. one good and one bad.

The good.
A simply stunning way to make greeting cards.

apple-letterpress-card1.jpg

The bad.
Actually having an article written about this. *shakes head in dismay*

unscrambling.jpg

-Ryan-

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
It's great to see a new take on a word game without a steep learning curve. I'm not really that fussed on the Metro-inspired aesthetic, but it does seem like a lot of fun.

conigs

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2006
Letterpress.
One word. That can have many different meanings. Lets take 2 examples. one good and one bad.

The good.

The bad.

Lighten up. It's a fun game.

opq

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2004
Since it's turn based, a maximum of 2 simultaneous games unless you pay to upgrade is pretty annoying.

Nothlit

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2009
Since it's turn based, a maximum of 2 simultaneous games unless you pay to upgrade is pretty annoying.

I happily paid the $0.99 even though I don't have any desire to play tons of games at once. It's just worth it to me to support an indie developer.

valkraider

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2004
Letterpress.

The good.

The bad.

Douche.
One word. That can have many different meanings.

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
Sounds like they should have called it Gobble.

Was the reference to the classic board game Go referring to the Chinese/Japanese game of Go?

rman726

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2007
Letterpress.

The good.

The bad.

I wouldn't have heard about this, but it's a really fun game. It's a side article so I don't see a problem. It's a great little game. I already paid the $.99 upgrade fee to play multiple games at once, and get a different themes. Is it really worth it? Probably not, but I'm supporting a great indie developer by paying less than it would cost to get a value fries.

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque
Article mentions nothing about single player options or content. Not all of us are plugged into the Matrix 24/7/365.25.

Anyone?

It's two-player only. I wish there was a basic chat built-in so that you could let your friend (or auto-matched stranger) know that there may be a delay between turns, or if there was some kind of visual clue that your opponent was currently playing.

As far as content, you can pay $0.99 to unlock six other themes that change the solid background color and the two colors that indicate each player. You will also be able to play more than two games at the same time.

To me, the themes aren't that much different from the stock color and should have been free, I wouldn't have minded paying for the ability to access a color picker to select three themed colors of my choice.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Thought about downloading this but now I think I'll for sure give it a try.

chenks

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
UK
played it twice, bored of it already.
wonder how long it will take for "atebits" to sell this app as well and then watch it get mothballed.

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
I like this game but every round always comes down to both players avoiding the last three or four letters because those letters can't form a word on their own but as soon as you use one of them, you know the other player is going to get the last word and win. It's annoying.

mattraehl

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2005
Excellent game. Very addicting, interesting strategy, and it's all housed in a very polished app.

I guess someone is always going to complain about having to pay for something. The core app is free and no ads. Basically you pay if you will use it a lot. Seems like the perfect way to monetize an app like this. I was happy to pay the $.99 for the full version.

----------

I like this game but every round always comes down to both players avoiding the last three or four letters because those letters can't form a word on their own but as soon as you use one of them, you know the other player is going to get the last word and win. It's annoying.

Interesting that you found it annoying, to me the end-game strategy is one of the most intruiging parts of the game.

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque

I don't mind the fact that it's obvious who's going to win, but I have been annoyed when the other person has a low score and is taking their sweet time making their next move, so I have to sit and wait before I can go ahead and finish it. The only option is to forfeit and then I lose.

There needs to be a reasonable time limit between moves; either set by the game or the player who gets to go first. Or, maybe as a difficulty level with a few different time limits and "easy" being no limit.

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
It's two-player only. I wish there was a basic chat built-in so that you could let your friend (or auto-matched stranger) know that there may be a delay between turns, or if there was some kind of visual clue that your opponent was currently playing.

As far as content, you can pay $0.99 to unlock six other themes that change the solid background color and the two colors that indicate each player. You will also be able to play more than two games at the same time.

To me, the themes aren't that much different from the stock color and should have been free, I wouldn't have minded paying for the ability to access a color picker to select three themed colors of my choice.

Thanks for all that. I'm sure it's great, but I've never been one to do the whole multiplayer thing. Played Starcraft for 10 years before my first multiplayer game. Brutalized. So bad I stopped playing Starcraft.

Pass.

farleysmaster

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
London, UK
There needs to be a reasonable time limit between moves; either set by the game or the player who gets to go first. Or, maybe as a difficulty level with a few different time limits and "easy" being no limit.

What if you're in different countries and one of you has to go to work or sleep?

P.s. this game is ace.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.