Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
Can an iPad 1 play files transcoded with handbrake's Apple TV 3 preset? They're mostly DVD rips, nothing special. I want to send a care package to my sister who will be in hospital for a few weeks, and I want to make sure she'll be able to use the files on her iPad 1.

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
Great, thanks. What's the difference between the Apple TV 2 and 3 presets anyway? I always use the highest, hoping to get the best quality, and knowing I update my stuff regularly, giving my old stuff away - that's how my sister got her iPad!

Jim.R

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2012
UK
ATV2 preset encodes up to 720p
ATV3 preset encodes up to 1080p

It doesn't upscale though, so your DVD rips will still be 420i(?).
The iPad1 will handle HD files as well though, I play them on mine via homesharing (the files are a bit big, you don't get many HD films onto a 16Gb iPad).

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
I think they're 480p, but that doesn't really matter. So the only difference is the maximum resolution? No problem then, I haven't ripped any blurays yet (the USB drive is in the post)

Jim.R

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2012
UK
There will be a bunch of other tweaks in the preset to produce the best suited (and highest quality) file for the targeted hardware as well, but resolution is the main noticeable difference.

godslabrat

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2007
While we're on the topic, will a file ripped with ATV/ATV2 presets be playable on an iPad 4?

Seems the answer should be "yes", but I'm having similar issues myself, which brought me to this thread.

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
I would test a file made by the atv 3 preset on handbrake by loading and playing onto an ipad 1 first before encoding a bunch first, just to ensure I am incorrect and the file will play.

Unfortunately that's not an option - she lives 400 miles away, I'll be posting a hard drive to her husband who will then transfer the files. The oldest iOS device I have access to is an iPad 3!

KevinC867

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Saratoga, CA
Unfortunately that's not an option - she lives 400 miles away, I'll be posting a hard drive to her husband who will then transfer the files. The oldest iOS device I have access to is an iPad 3!

You are probably fine using the ATV3 preset on DVD rips to be played on an iPad 1. However, there is no real benefit to be had from that preset on DVD material, so if you are still ripping DVD's for her, you might as well play it safe and use the ATV2 preset. I can assure you that that works great for me.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
Can an iPad 1 play files transcoded with handbrake's Apple TV 3 preset? They're mostly DVD rips, nothing special. I want to send a care package to my sister who will be in hospital for a few weeks, and I want to make sure she'll be able to use the files on her iPad 1.

I have an iPad 1 and I have encoded DVDs using the Apple TV 3 preset. They play fine. Make sure you include some food in that care package, hospital food sucks. ;)

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
I have an iPad 1 and I have encoded DVDs using the Apple TV 3 preset. They play fine. Make sure you include some food in that care package, hospital food sucks. ;)

Thanks, I was hoping somebody could say for sure! My other sister and my Mum will send food and talk to the doctors, my forté is entertainment - I live alone, so I have plenty of experience combating boredom.

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
Thanks, I was hoping somebody could say for sure! My other sister and my Mum will send food and talk to the doctors, my forté is entertainment - I live alone, so I have plenty of experience combating boredom.

I have ATV 3s and an iPad 1. I rip DVDs using the "High" profile, because the maximum resolution (480p) isn't going to freak out any of my devices.

For Blu Rays, I do dual encodes - one using the ATV 3 preset for my ATV 3s and one using the iPhone 4 preset for my iPad 1 and iPhone 4S. I know the latter is below my iPads' screen resolution, but the file looks great on the iPad, allows me to carry a ton more movies on it, and saves me from having to create a 3rd version of every movie just for the iPad.

Pyromonkey83

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
To clarify a lot of info in this post, yes the ATV 3 preset will work fine with an iPad 1 HOWEVER you cannot play 1080p files on an iPad 1 if it is over a certain bitrate.

I have ripped many blu rays and play them on both my iPad and ATV, if you have a 1080p movie over 7500 kbps or so the file will not play on the iPad 1. If you have a 720p movie it will play all the way up to 23000 kbps (which is WAY overdoing it) and you will never have an issue.

ajforbes20

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2011
USA
I can pretty much only use my iPad 1 for watching movies, Everything else crashes or is too slow

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.