Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beeinformed

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
Thanks strange I walked right into an AT&T store and bought mine out right with no problems

Hi,

Where did you purchase your phone? I did not know that you could purchase a device-only iphone 5 at an AT&T store as I thought you needed an account with AT&T in order to buy the phone, even at full-retail price.

Gaboi

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2012
Hi,

Where did you purchase your phone? I did not know that you could purchase a device-only iphone 5 at an AT&T store as I thought you needed an account with AT&T in order to buy the phone, even at full-retail price.

I live in Warner Robins ga but I purchased it in perry ga I walked right in the AT&T store told em I wanted to buy an iPhone 5 and that I'd activate it later she ask for my name on number I paid and was on my way

tito2020

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2011
From what i read in the forums do not get a phone from carriers as they will implenment you in the system in 30 days and u will have to agree on a 2 year contract automatically.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Seems to be rolling out south of Seattle now - I'm seeing new 3G areas pop up fairly regularly in places like Kent, Des Moines, and Federal Way. Still EDGE at my house, though; although my home wi-fi is faster than 3G anyway. :D

Gaboi

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2012
I can't wait to get it in central Georgia the E is just to slow I can't send mms or receive them unless there iMessage. On my tmobile s3 I get speeds of 11mbps consistently

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
I have updated the first post with info from Mr Hill who is a member of the forum, he also posted a website link that provides great detail about T-Mobile coverage areas! please check out first post and do provide feedback to the website so we can have a better map:D

snarestud940

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2012
3G in Milford Comnecticut!!!

Have an iPhone 4S. Went on the aiportal.de site and saw that there was 3G in Milford Connecticut. Sure enough after toggling my phone in and out of airplane mode, it worked! Can't wait until the refarm hits the rest of the state.

Maybe by Christmas I will get an iPhone five, if the refarm is done!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 121

wws

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2012
I live in Warner Robins ga but I purchased it in perry ga I walked right in the AT&T store told em I wanted to buy an iPhone 5 and that I'd activate it later she ask for my name on number I paid and was on my way

You went into an ATT store, bought an iPhone 5 for $199, and went home without activating it?

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Still not a hint of 3G anywhere around the Charlotte Area. Though I haven't been to the southside lately. I'm almost tempted to temporarily buy an Android but I know I would get tired of it after about a week.

rak007

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
I am in DFW area and it seems 3G is available here for iPhone. My wife has an iPhone 4 and using Tmobile 50$ monthly plan with unlimited calls, SMS and EDGE internet. But since i am now getting 3G signals i can use 3G as well.
I want to know whether this 3G is unlimited in my plan or not ?

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I am in DFW area and it seems 3G is available here for iPhone. My wife has an iPhone 4 and using Tmobile 50$ monthly plan with unlimited calls, SMS and EDGE internet. But since i am now getting 3G signals i can use 3G as well.

The $50 plan is only going to get you 100MB of 3G, past that and you get throttled back to 2G. You have to be on their postpaid plans to get fully unlimited data.

Gaboi

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2012
You went into an ATT store, bought an iPhone 5 for $199, and went home without activating it?

No I went to the AT&T store and bought it for 649.99 and yes I went home without activating it but I did have to pay to have it unlocked

iPhonesandMacs

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2012
No I went to the AT&T store and bought it for 649.99 and yes I went home without activating it but I did have to pay to have it unlocked

Lol you got screwed... AT&T iPhones purchased at full price come unlocked, and if they aren't, you call AT&T and they will do it for you

Gaboi

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2012
Lol you got screwed... AT&T iPhones purchased at full price come unlocked, and if they aren't, you call AT&T and they will do it for you

Lol check again they don't come unlocked I knew all about the just restore it in iTunes trick it didn't work so I call both AT&T and apple they said that the people who bought iPhones that's we're unlocked was an error and the imei was put into the system wrong so att iPhone do not come unlocked I got mine unlocked for $20 on eBay and I'm using with with simple mobile now

Sorry the the run on sentence

Last edited:

iPhonesandMacs

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2012
Lol check again they don't come unlocked I knew all about the just restore it in iTunes trick it didn't work so I call both AT&T and apple they said that the people who bought iPhones that's we're unlocked was an error and the imei was put into the system wrong so att iPhone do not come unlocked I got mine unlocked for $20 on eBay and I'm using with with simple mobile now

Its not a trick... I bought 8 of them full price, and all of them were unlocked... I sold them all on ebay, got all positive feedback, and they went all over the world. Must of been an error... 8 times

Gaboi

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2012
Its not a trick... I bought 8 of them full price, and all of them were unlocked... I sold them all on ebay, got all positive feedback, and they went all over the world. Must of been an error... 8 times

Maybe you just got lucky before they caught the error but when I bought mine it wasn't unlocked. It doesn't bother me much though I only paid $20 for the unlock, what's $20 when the phone cost $700 lol

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

Sorry but you're wrong.
If you buy it full price even from AT&T it is unlocked.
Somehow yours wasnt but its not supposed to be like that.
They messed up with your iphone but it generally doesnt work like that. If you dont buy it under contract then its not locked to them.

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas

Too bad I can't grab 3G in the suburbs. My dad works in Dallas and gets 3G every day at work.. out here in near-farm land I don't get ****. Not even at school at UTD, haha. Also, we're all on the 5.99 / month T-Zones plan and we get unlimited 3G with that, assuming we can pick it up at all!

BiggieFats

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2012
A few more NJ locations I've found; Route 22 in Hillside and Routes 1&9 in Elizabeth between Jersey St and Newark Airport

iPhonesandMacs

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2012
Maybe you just got lucky before they caught the error but when I bought mine it wasn't unlocked. It doesn't bother me much though I only paid $20 for the unlock, what's $20 when the phone cost $700 lol

You could of just called ATT for free, you have the receipt, and you paid full price, they will unlock it

Gaboi

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2012
You could of just called ATT for free, you have the receipt, and you paid full price, they will unlock it

Wow maybe I was unlucky I don't know why my phone didn't come unlocked when I called att they sent to to a form to fill for an unlock that would of taking up to 7 days

----------

I called them the same day an they sent me to a form to fill out but that way would of taking to long

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.